Owaisi betraying country by offering help to ISIS-linked men: BJP
Slamming AIMIM President Asaduddin Owaisi over his decision to provide legal help to men arrested for allegedly being members of an ISIS module, BJP today accused him of "betraying" the country and sought action against him for "helping" the terror group.
Union minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi alleged that Owaisi is giving "oxygen" to terrorists and that he is seen as "standing with extremists".
"Owaisi is directly or indirectly helping the ISIS which had come up with a video in which it threatened to target India. This is betrayal of the country. On the one hand you condemn the ISIS and on the other hand you support those who are involved in such acts.
"The investigating agencies should take action against him within the legal framework. Those who support terrorism directly or indirectly should be condemned," BJP National Secretary Shrikant Sharma said.
The NIA has arrested five persons from Hyderabad for their alleged links with the ISIS. Owaisi had said his party would provide legal help to them while holding AIMIM does not support terrorism.
"One should not stoop down to this level in politics that you are seen standing with terrorism and those who support it. Those who give such statements are giving oxygen to terrorism. You do politics but refrain from actions that make it seem like you are supporting terrorism," Naqvi said.
BJP spokesperson Nalin Kohli said before jumping onto anything, Owaisi should have weighed the pros and cons because the evidence suggests that the arrested youths were allegedly planning to carry out terror-related activities during Ramzan.
"The media is clearly pointing towards evidence that clearly seems to suggest that this is the plot and there is evidence to back it up.
"Now before jumping into it, one should weigh the pros and cons because tomorrow if the court finds that the evidence is sufficient, they are convicted for an act of terror, they are sentenced, then Mr Owaisi will definitely answer a question. Was he openly helping terrorist and that he was very eager to help terrorists?" Kohli said.
Sharma said terrorism should not be seen through religion and also took a dig at those who had targeted the Modi government over intolerance issue as he questioned their silence.
- Pak not allowing Pathankot probe team will be betrayal: Rajnath Singh 28 May 2016 | PTI
- Govt considering U'khand as closed issue: Naqvi 13 May 2016 | PTI
- Wife of slain NIA officer succumbs to injuries 13 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Two held in NIA officer murder case 12 Apr 2016 | PTI
- PM is a victim of secular syndicate: Naqvi 11 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Social harmony, unity would help defeat anti-India forces: Naqvi 10 Apr 2016 | IANS
- SP, BJP two sides of same coin: Owaisi 28 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Owaisi faces Shiv Sena flak, denied permission for UP events 17 Mar 2016 | PTI
- I won't say 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai': Owaisi to Bhagwat 14 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Pass juvenile justice bill: Nirbhaya's parents 22 Dec 2015 | IANS
- Suu Kyi blames world conflicts partly on illegal immigration 20 Nov 2017 | AP
- 50 hundreds do not seem a long journey for Kohli 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- SC allows Karti Chidambaram to go abroad 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Not upset with Tharoor's tongue-in-cheek remark: Manushi Chhillar 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Create awareness among school kids on Blue Whale: SC to states 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Padmavati not to be screened in MP if it distorts historical facts: Chouhan 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Jaitley refutes Sonia's charge of govt sabotaging Parl session 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- UNSC permanent members unnerved by prospect of India's nominee winning ICJ election: Observers 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Egg prices 40% higher on tight supply 20 Nov 2017 | PTI
- NCP to contest Gujarat polls solo 20 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Nov 2017 | Parvinder Bhatia | Jamshedpur
State’s first women university will come at Sidhgora in the eastern part of Jamshedpur, Chief Minister Raghubar Das said on Monday in Jamshedpur. “I am happy to announce that first Women’s University will come up at Sidhgora...