- India down hosts New Zealand in Four-Nations hockey
- Sonai honour killing case: Court awards death sentence to six
- India's entry into elite nuclear groups reaffirms its non- proliferation commitments: PM
- 4 injured in ceasefire violation by Pak
- Pak raises Jadhav's case in UNSC debate on Afghanistan
- India asks UN to focus on eliminating terror safe havens in Pak
- US government shuts down
Owaisi betraying country by offering help to ISIS-linked men: BJP
Slamming AIMIM President Asaduddin Owaisi over his decision to provide legal help to men arrested for allegedly being members of an ISIS module, BJP today accused him of "betraying" the country and sought action against him for "helping" the terror group.
Union minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi alleged that Owaisi is giving "oxygen" to terrorists and that he is seen as "standing with extremists".
"Owaisi is directly or indirectly helping the ISIS which had come up with a video in which it threatened to target India. This is betrayal of the country. On the one hand you condemn the ISIS and on the other hand you support those who are involved in such acts.
"The investigating agencies should take action against him within the legal framework. Those who support terrorism directly or indirectly should be condemned," BJP National Secretary Shrikant Sharma said.
The NIA has arrested five persons from Hyderabad for their alleged links with the ISIS. Owaisi had said his party would provide legal help to them while holding AIMIM does not support terrorism.
"One should not stoop down to this level in politics that you are seen standing with terrorism and those who support it. Those who give such statements are giving oxygen to terrorism. You do politics but refrain from actions that make it seem like you are supporting terrorism," Naqvi said.
BJP spokesperson Nalin Kohli said before jumping onto anything, Owaisi should have weighed the pros and cons because the evidence suggests that the arrested youths were allegedly planning to carry out terror-related activities during Ramzan.
"The media is clearly pointing towards evidence that clearly seems to suggest that this is the plot and there is evidence to back it up.
"Now before jumping into it, one should weigh the pros and cons because tomorrow if the court finds that the evidence is sufficient, they are convicted for an act of terror, they are sentenced, then Mr Owaisi will definitely answer a question. Was he openly helping terrorist and that he was very eager to help terrorists?" Kohli said.
Sharma said terrorism should not be seen through religion and also took a dig at those who had targeted the Modi government over intolerance issue as he questioned their silence.
- Pak not allowing Pathankot probe team will be betrayal: Rajnath Singh 28 May 2016 | PTI
- Govt considering U'khand as closed issue: Naqvi 13 May 2016 | PTI
- Wife of slain NIA officer succumbs to injuries 13 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Two held in NIA officer murder case 12 Apr 2016 | PTI
- PM is a victim of secular syndicate: Naqvi 11 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Social harmony, unity would help defeat anti-India forces: Naqvi 10 Apr 2016 | IANS
- SP, BJP two sides of same coin: Owaisi 28 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Owaisi faces Shiv Sena flak, denied permission for UP events 17 Mar 2016 | PTI
- I won't say 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai': Owaisi to Bhagwat 14 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Pass juvenile justice bill: Nirbhaya's parents 22 Dec 2015 | IANS
- Disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs was A.K. Jyoti's gift to Modi: AAP 20 Jan 2018 | IANS
- SC bench headed by CJI to hear Loya case 20 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Mattis seeks to maintain balance of power in Indo-Pacific 20 Jan 2018 | PTI
- In first year, Trump firms up ties with India 20 Jan 2018 | IANS
- India down hosts New Zealand in Four-Nations hockey 20 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Sonai honour killing case: Court awards death sentence to six 20 Jan 2018 | PTI
- India's entry into elite nuclear groups reaffirms its non-proliferation commitments: PM 20 Jan 2018 | PTI
- 4 injured in ceasefire violation by Pak 20 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Pak raises Jadhav's case in UNSC debate on Afghanistan 20 Jan 2018 | PTI
- India asks UN to focus on eliminating terror safe havens in Pak 20 Jan 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jan 2018 | PNS | Gwalior
It was a pleasing sight on Friday to witness 66 street children, accompanied by the District Collector and other officials at the Gwalior fair. The children enjoyed the visit, gazing at the stalls selling local produce and crafts...