Owaisi betraying country by offering help to ISIS-linked men: BJP
Slamming AIMIM President Asaduddin Owaisi over his decision to provide legal help to men arrested for allegedly being members of an ISIS module, BJP today accused him of "betraying" the country and sought action against him for "helping" the terror group.
Union minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi alleged that Owaisi is giving "oxygen" to terrorists and that he is seen as "standing with extremists".
"Owaisi is directly or indirectly helping the ISIS which had come up with a video in which it threatened to target India. This is betrayal of the country. On the one hand you condemn the ISIS and on the other hand you support those who are involved in such acts.
"The investigating agencies should take action against him within the legal framework. Those who support terrorism directly or indirectly should be condemned," BJP National Secretary Shrikant Sharma said.
The NIA has arrested five persons from Hyderabad for their alleged links with the ISIS. Owaisi had said his party would provide legal help to them while holding AIMIM does not support terrorism.
"One should not stoop down to this level in politics that you are seen standing with terrorism and those who support it. Those who give such statements are giving oxygen to terrorism. You do politics but refrain from actions that make it seem like you are supporting terrorism," Naqvi said.
BJP spokesperson Nalin Kohli said before jumping onto anything, Owaisi should have weighed the pros and cons because the evidence suggests that the arrested youths were allegedly planning to carry out terror-related activities during Ramzan.
"The media is clearly pointing towards evidence that clearly seems to suggest that this is the plot and there is evidence to back it up.
"Now before jumping into it, one should weigh the pros and cons because tomorrow if the court finds that the evidence is sufficient, they are convicted for an act of terror, they are sentenced, then Mr Owaisi will definitely answer a question. Was he openly helping terrorist and that he was very eager to help terrorists?" Kohli said.
Sharma said terrorism should not be seen through religion and also took a dig at those who had targeted the Modi government over intolerance issue as he questioned their silence.
- Pak not allowing Pathankot probe team will be betrayal: Rajnath Singh 28 May 2016 | PTI
- Govt considering U'khand as closed issue: Naqvi 13 May 2016 | PTI
- Wife of slain NIA officer succumbs to injuries 13 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Two held in NIA officer murder case 12 Apr 2016 | PTI
- PM is a victim of secular syndicate: Naqvi 11 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Social harmony, unity would help defeat anti-India forces: Naqvi 10 Apr 2016 | IANS
- SP, BJP two sides of same coin: Owaisi 28 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Owaisi faces Shiv Sena flak, denied permission for UP events 17 Mar 2016 | PTI
- I won't say 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai': Owaisi to Bhagwat 14 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Pass juvenile justice bill: Nirbhaya's parents 22 Dec 2015 | IANS
- Fuel prices will come down soon: Pradhan 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- 3.5-magnitude quake rattles N Korea near nuclear test site 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Senior journalist, mother murdered in Mohali house 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- We all lied about Jaya's health condition: TN Minister 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Does NKorean H-bomb threat push US closer to war? 23 Sep 2017 | AP
- Beware of 'fake' samajwadis, Akhilesh tells party members 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- ED files charge sheet against Kashmiri separatist leader Shah 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Arvind Subramanian to continue as CEA, gets 1-yr extension 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Britain's May asks for transition deal after Brexit 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Swaraj to address UN General Assembly tonight 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Sep 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
In a clear indication of an irreconcilable rift between it and its senior alliance partner BJP, the Shiv Sena on Saturday staged simultaneous protests at 12 places across the metropolis against the hike in prices of fuel, essential commodities and domestic gas cylinders. Amid intense speculation that Sena president Uddhav Thackeray — during his Dussehra rally to be held next week — might announce withdrawal of his party’s support to the...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Saturday said that the foundation for new power plant at Patratu — a joint venture of Jharkhand Government and National Thermal Power Corruption (NTPC) will be laid soon. During a meeting with NTPC Chairman Gurdeep Singh here on Thursday CM said that the plant will not only fill the energy gap in State but will also be able to supply power to other States...