Pawan Hans chopper crashes off Mumbai coast, 3 bodies found
A Pawan Hans helicopter with five ONGC personnel and two pilots on board today crashed off the city coast while heading to an oil rig at Mumbai High, and three bodies bodies have been found, a senior Coast Guard official said today.
The chopper Dauphin N3 had gone missing after taking off from Juhu aerodrome at 10.30 AM.
"The Coast Guard confirms that its ships picked up three bodies from the site of Pawan Hans helicopter crash off the Mumbai coast," a Coast Guard spokesperson said.
The chopper, bearing registration number VT-PWA, was scheduled to land at the designated oil rig at Mumbai High at 11 am. Five employees of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and two pilots were on board the chopper.
The Navy said it had deployed its stealth frigate INS Teg for the search operation while surveillance aircraft P8i was also pressed into service.
The Coast Guard had also diverted its ships to search the missing chopper.
A senior Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) official said that the aircraft accident investigation body AAIB will probe the Pawan Hans chopper crash.
"Since it is a clear accident, this chopper crash will be probed by the Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB)," the official told PTI.
He said the DGCA will extend all necessary help to the AAIB in conducting the probe.
AAIB is the apex body which probes serious incidents and accidents involving aircraft registered in India and comes under the civil aviation ministry.
Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha expressed deep anguish over the loss of lives.
"IndiaCoastGuard Ship on receipt of information reached area, located the debris, picked up a body at 1230 hrs," he said on twitter.
"So far resulted in 03 body recovery. Search & rescue operations are underway. Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau will launch thorough inquiry (sic)," he tweeted.
- England post new ODI record total 19 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Governor's rule imminent in J-K; Rajnath holds high-level meet 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- There should be no distinction between 'good' or 'bad' terrorism: Kovind tells EU 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- CoA asks BCCI officials to watch India-England T20Is at own expense 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Hope muscular, militaristic policy doesn't return under guise of Governor's rule in J&K: Chidambaram 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- J&K decision to help state, country: Yogi 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Kejriwal ends sit-in, IAS officers attend meetings 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Opportunistic BJP-PDP alliance set fire to J&K, damage will remain: Rahul 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- L-G asks Kejriwal to urgently meet IAS officers to address concerns 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Patanjali gets UP's nod to give land to subsidiary firm for food park 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...