- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
Pawan Hans chopper crashes off Mumbai coast, 3 bodies found
A Pawan Hans helicopter with five ONGC personnel and two pilots on board today crashed off the city coast while heading to an oil rig at Mumbai High, and three bodies bodies have been found, a senior Coast Guard official said today.
The chopper Dauphin N3 had gone missing after taking off from Juhu aerodrome at 10.30 AM.
"The Coast Guard confirms that its ships picked up three bodies from the site of Pawan Hans helicopter crash off the Mumbai coast," a Coast Guard spokesperson said.
The chopper, bearing registration number VT-PWA, was scheduled to land at the designated oil rig at Mumbai High at 11 am. Five employees of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and two pilots were on board the chopper.
The Navy said it had deployed its stealth frigate INS Teg for the search operation while surveillance aircraft P8i was also pressed into service.
The Coast Guard had also diverted its ships to search the missing chopper.
A senior Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) official said that the aircraft accident investigation body AAIB will probe the Pawan Hans chopper crash.
"Since it is a clear accident, this chopper crash will be probed by the Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB)," the official told PTI.
He said the DGCA will extend all necessary help to the AAIB in conducting the probe.
AAIB is the apex body which probes serious incidents and accidents involving aircraft registered in India and comes under the civil aviation ministry.
Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha expressed deep anguish over the loss of lives.
"IndiaCoastGuard Ship on receipt of information reached area, located the debris, picked up a body at 1230 hrs," he said on twitter.
"So far resulted in 03 body recovery. Search & rescue operations are underway. Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau will launch thorough inquiry (sic)," he tweeted.
- DK does it in style, India win Nidahas T20 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Rahul attacks Modi on corruption, promises galvanised party in 2019 'Kuruskshtra' battle 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Bangladesh set India 167-run target in final 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- None can raise question on govt's integrity, intention: Rajnath 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Modi not fighting corruption, is corruption himself: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Indian ethos includes respect for believers, non-believers: Dalai Lama 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Rahul Dravid files police complaint against ponzi firm 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BJP, RSS like Kauravas, designed to fight for power: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- IITians should aspire to achieve best for society: President 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Demonetization was a greatest lie: Chidambaram 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...