PM Modi constantly monitoring situation in Gorakhpur: PMO
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is constantly monitoring the situation in Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh where at least 30 children died in a hospital and is in touch with central and state authorities, the PMO said today.
Minister of State for Health Anupriya Patel and the Union health secretary will take stock of the situation in Gorakhpur, the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) said.
District Magistrate of Gorakhpur Rajeev Rautela had said yesterday that at least 30 children died in the state-run Baba Raghav Das Medical College within 48 hours since August 10.
Uttar Pradesh Health Minister Siddharth Nath Singh had said that according to reports from the paediatric department of the college, 60 children died due to various diseases since August 7.
Though the Gorakhpur district magistrate had not given any reason for the deaths, an official here had said that according to the Gorakhpur superintendent of police (SP), 21 children died due to oxygen supply shortage.
"According to the Gorakhpur SP, 21 children died due to shortage of supply of liquid oxygen in BRD Medical College. Senior officers are at the spot. Exact cause is being verified by the civil administration," the official, who did not to be identified, had said.
The Uttar Pradesh government said today that those found guilty in the "tragic and painful" incident would face "stringent action".
"Whosoever is found guilty in the tragic and painful incident at Baba Raghav Das Medical College in Gorakhpur will certainly face stringent action," Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya told reporters in Lucknow.
Health Minister Singh and state Medical Education Minister Ashutosh Tandon today visit Gorakhpur to take stock of the situation at the medical college.
- 6 coaches of Utkal Express derails in UP, 20 injured 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Knife attacker in Russian city wounds 8, shot by police 19 Aug 2017 | AFP
- NPA resolution: RBI chief calls for recapitalisation of banks 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Positive result on merger in a day or two: Panneerselvam 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Still judging current mechanism for resolving bad debts: Jaitley 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Iraqi forces ready for next battle against IS extremists: US 19 Aug 2017 | AP
- Security forces launch search operation in Shopian 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Bannon returns to Breitbart after his White House ouster 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Adityanath targets Rahul, says Gorakhpur not a 'picnic spot' 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Nitish Kumar-led JD-U faction joins NDA 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
The Geological Survey of India will carry out assessment of Limestone deposits In Laladhurwa-Jognipali Block of Raigarh district in Chhattisgarh. GSI last year took up assessment of limestone deposits at Birutola-Nawapara-Sohagpur Blocks of Kabirdham district in Chhattisgarh, officials stated...