PM Modi constantly monitoring situation in Gorakhpur: PMO
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is constantly monitoring the situation in Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh where at least 30 children died in a hospital and is in touch with central and state authorities, the PMO said today.
Minister of State for Health Anupriya Patel and the Union health secretary will take stock of the situation in Gorakhpur, the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) said.
District Magistrate of Gorakhpur Rajeev Rautela had said yesterday that at least 30 children died in the state-run Baba Raghav Das Medical College within 48 hours since August 10.
Uttar Pradesh Health Minister Siddharth Nath Singh had said that according to reports from the paediatric department of the college, 60 children died due to various diseases since August 7.
Though the Gorakhpur district magistrate had not given any reason for the deaths, an official here had said that according to the Gorakhpur superintendent of police (SP), 21 children died due to oxygen supply shortage.
"According to the Gorakhpur SP, 21 children died due to shortage of supply of liquid oxygen in BRD Medical College. Senior officers are at the spot. Exact cause is being verified by the civil administration," the official, who did not to be identified, had said.
The Uttar Pradesh government said today that those found guilty in the "tragic and painful" incident would face "stringent action".
"Whosoever is found guilty in the tragic and painful incident at Baba Raghav Das Medical College in Gorakhpur will certainly face stringent action," Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya told reporters in Lucknow.
Health Minister Singh and state Medical Education Minister Ashutosh Tandon today visit Gorakhpur to take stock of the situation at the medical college.
- US destroyer sails near South China Sea island 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Fourth fodder case: Lalu sentenced to 7 years each on two counts 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Two militants killed in J&K gunfight 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- ED attaches Nirav Modi's properties worth Rs 25 cr 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- BJP at 69, Congress at 50 in Rajya Sabha after polls 24 Mar 2018 | PTI
- French supermarket attack: Police 'hero' dies of wounds 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Musk deletes SpaceX, Tesla Facebook pages, Sonos withdraws ads 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- BCCI clears Shami of corruption charge, gives central contract 22 Mar 2018 | PTI
- No Jaya footage to prevent people from watching: Apollo 22 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Riot cases will be withdrawn if politically motivated: UP govt 22 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A proposal to set up two centres of excellence, one in floriculture and another in citrus fruits, in Madhya Pradesh with the cooperation of Israel is awaiting the Centre's green-signal. While talking to media persons here on Thursday, Israel Consul General in Mumbai Yaakov Finkelstein told, “India and Israel are working on to strengthen the partnership and cooperation in the fields of agriculture and water...