- Indu Malhotra set to be SC judge
- Cong appoints Kamal Nath as MP unit prez, Scindia as campaign chief
- Our "real concern" is fair trial is conducted in Kathua case: SC
- One killed, 17 students injured in school van-tanker collision
- JeM commander killed in Tral gunfight: J&K DGP
- BCCI recommends Kohli for Khel Ratna, Dravid for Dronacharya, Gavaskar for Dhyan Chand
- Development our only agenda: PM tells Karnataka BJP workers
- 13 children killed as train hits school van at unmanned crossing
PM's boycott to continue till he apologises: Moily
Congress today said that the boycott of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Parliament would continue till he apologised to his predecessor Manmohan Singh whom he had insulted with his "raincoat" jibe.
"We are going to boycott the Prime Minister. We have taken a stand. The Prime Minister has to tender an apology to our former Prime Minister. The kind of language he has used...Is an insult to the country and to the office (he holds)," senior Congress leader Veerappa Moily said.
He said that Modi's remarks reflected his desperation after he returned from the election campaign in Uttar Pradesh, where Assembly election is being held along with four other states.
"I think he has become desperate in the present elections. Having completed a desperate rally and campaign, he comes back to Parliament. He should have given (election campaign) charge to somebody else instead of uttering all sorts of desperate words on the floor of the House," he said.
Referring to Modi bowing before Parliament when he was to enter it for the first time in 2014, the Congress leader said, "When he entered Parliament, what a theatrical drama he played... Today, what is happening? He is kicking that very House."
Asked what would be his party's strategy in the future if the Prime Minister did not apologise, Moily said, "You will also see what will happen next."
"We have gone on record saying that we are going to boycott him unless he apologises," he added.
Replying to a debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President's Address in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday, Modi had attacked Congress and taken on Singh who had described demonetisation as "organised loot" and "legalised plunder", saying "the art of bathing in a bathroom with a raincoat on" is known only to the former Prime Minister as there is "no blot on him" despite "all the scams".
This provoked an angry reaction from Congress members who staged a walkout in the midst of the reply by the Prime Minister.
- Cycle can ride through storm:UP CM, slams PM's 'BJP storm' remark 06 Feb 2017 | PTI
- 2 months after note ban, Mamata wants Prez to intervene, Manmohan also cautions 09 Jan 2017 | PTI
- JD(U) to 'review' stand on demonetisation after Jan 24 08 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Pakistan releases 219 more Indian fishermen 05 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Modi announces lucky draw schemes for digital payments 25 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Modi takes hovercraft for 'jal-pooja' of Shivaji memorial 24 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Notes ban scripted to execute Rs 8 lakh crore scam: Kejriwal 23 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Kejriwal attacks PM, Cong over note scrapping 20 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Will talk about demonetisation scenario post Dec 30: Uddhav 20 Dec 2016 | PTI
- PM has no solution except giving 'bhashan': Mamata 10 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Cong spreading "lies", dividing society: Modi tells Ktk BJP 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- What is holding up Justice Joseph's appt to SC, asks Chidambaram 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Delhi saw warmest day at 42 degrees 26 Apr 2018 | IANS
- One-on-one talks at museum, walks by lake side and boat ride to mark Modi-Xi 'heart-to-heart' summit 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Need to ensure domestic T20 does not prejudice international cricket: ICC 26 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Unmanned crossings to be eliminated by Mar 2020, primary responsibility not with railways: Lohani 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Disinvestment-bound AI on hiring spree; to induct 270 co-pilots 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Felt like an outsider in Trinamool: Bhaichung Bhutia 26 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Raping girls no sin for 'Brahmgyani' like him, believed Asaram 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Pak foreign minister disqualified by court for holding UAE work permit 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 Apr 2018 | PNS | Haridwar
Uttarakhand State police district/ BN athletics meet 2018 kicked off on Thursday following its inauguration by the State Cabinet Minister Madan Kaushik. Speaking to The Pioneer, the commandant of 40 battalion of the PAC Haridwar RL Sharma said that the main events which were held on Thursday included 200, 800 and 1500 metres race, long jump, discus throw, hurdle race and pole vault...