Pompeo discusses Trump-Kim summit outcome with Moon
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday metwith South Korean President Moon Jae-in here to discuss the outcome of the historic summit between American President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
According to the South Korean Presidential office, Pompeo told Moon at the start of the meeting that there is still "a great deal of work to do" and that he trusts that both sides will be able to cooperate and bring peace to the Korean Peninsula, Efe news reported.
Pompeo also said he was "confident that we took a very good, significant step in Singapore" and that the US and North Korea will work together to provide their citizens with the best results.
He thanked Moon, who has met with Kim twice since April, for his mediation between North Korea and the US, saying that if it had not been for Moon's effort, the talks between Trump and Kim would not have been possible.
Moon said he was satisfied with the outcome of the summit and what is most important is that it has allowed the world to escape from the threats of a nuclear war and long-range missiles.
However, there was no mention of the suspension of annual South Korean-US military maneuvers, which Trump unexpectedly announced on June 12 at the end of the summit.
Trump and Kim had signed an agreement at the end of their summit in which they pledged to open a new chapter of relations, establish peace and work towards North Korea's complete denuclearisation.
Pompeo also held talks with his South Korean and Japanese counterparts Kang Kyung-wha and Taro Kono respectively to further discuss the details of the Singapore summit.
- Rahul attacks PM over non-construction of super speciality hospital in Odisha 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Army chief reviews security situation along LoC 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi accuses Congress of ignoring cities 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Chidambaram rejects Jaitley's charge against Rahul Gandhi 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Kumaraswamy accuses Centre of taking unilateral decision on Cauvery panel 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- BJP will not allow Kashmir to get disintegrated from India: Shah 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India summons Pak deputy HC over denial to envoy to meet pilgrims 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 23 Air India flights delayed due to software malfunction 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- VP calls for mindset change for empowering widows 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi launches Mohanpura Irrigation project in MP 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS | RANCHI
Taking the vision of ‘New India’ and the challenges ahead among the aspiring business managers, Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Jayant Sinha discussed elaborately on the concept of ‘Farms to Frontiers’ to accelerate the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate while addressing the students of new batch of Indian Institute of Management-Ranchi (2018-2020) here on Saturday. Sharing his insights, understanding of business ventures and a few examples from his public...