- India set South Africa 204- run target in 1st T20
- Moderate polling in Tripura Assembly elections
- PNB fraud fuelled during demonetisation: Bengal CM
- Shame on you! student tells Trump at Florida anti-gun rally
- Modi inaugurates new BJP headquarters in Delhi
- Naval chopper tender: AgustaWestland withdraws plea from HC on bank guarantee
- Sebi may give fresh push to loan default disclosure by listed firms
Prez poll is fight against 'divisive, communal vision': Sonia
A day before the presidential election, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi today described the electoral contest as a fight against a "narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision".
Addressing opposition leaders in the presence of their presidential and vice presidential nominees - Meira Kumar and Gopal Krishna Gandhi respectively, she said, in these contests, the numbers may be against them but "the battle must be fought and fought hard".
"We cannot and must not let India be hostage to those who wish to impose upon it a narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision," she said.
According to the text of her speech, she said, "We must stand more aware than ever of who we are, what we fought for in our independence struggle and what future we want for ourselves.
"We must have confidence in the values we believe in. This election represents a clash of ideas, a conflict of disparate values. The election demands a vote of conscience to preserve the India that the Mahatma and that illustrious generation of freedom fighters, joined by thousands upon thousands of ordinary men and women, fought for," she said.
She said the presence of representatives from different parties to support Kumar and Gopal Gandhi confirms that "the fight for an inclusive, tolerant and pluralistic India is being truly waged".
The vice presidential poll will be held on August 5.
- India aspires to and moving towards a $5 tn economy: PM 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Dhawan and Bhuvneshwar shine as India begin T20 series in style 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- India set South Africa 204- run target in 1st T20 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Nirav fraud: PNB officials took commission to sign LoUs 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- CM presence in Goa Assembly session doubtful, panel to decide on curtailment 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Moderate polling in Tripura Assembly elections 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- PNB fraud fuelled during demonetisation: Bengal CM 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Will consult legal experts on appealing against Cauvery verdict: TN CM 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Diamond is now fraudster's best friend! Nexus under scanner 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- School students set to present social projects at UN 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Feb 2018 | PNS
Sitasharan deliveres lecture Bhopal:Speaker of the State Assembly Sitasharan Sharma delivered effective lecture on ‘Role of Parliament in Development Agenda’ and ‘Legislative and Executive: Important Pillars of Democracy’ at the two-day meeting of sixth Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (Indian Region) meeting. General Secretary of sixth Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Akbar Khan praised views of Speaker of the State Assembly Sitasharan Sharma...