Prez poll is fight against 'divisive, communal vision': Sonia
A day before the presidential election, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi today described the electoral contest as a fight against a "narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision".
Addressing opposition leaders in the presence of their presidential and vice presidential nominees - Meira Kumar and Gopal Krishna Gandhi respectively, she said, in these contests, the numbers may be against them but "the battle must be fought and fought hard".
"We cannot and must not let India be hostage to those who wish to impose upon it a narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision," she said.
According to the text of her speech, she said, "We must stand more aware than ever of who we are, what we fought for in our independence struggle and what future we want for ourselves.
"We must have confidence in the values we believe in. This election represents a clash of ideas, a conflict of disparate values. The election demands a vote of conscience to preserve the India that the Mahatma and that illustrious generation of freedom fighters, joined by thousands upon thousands of ordinary men and women, fought for," she said.
She said the presence of representatives from different parties to support Kumar and Gopal Gandhi confirms that "the fight for an inclusive, tolerant and pluralistic India is being truly waged".
The vice presidential poll will be held on August 5.
- Britain's May asks for transition deal after Brexit 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Swaraj to address UN General Assembly tonight 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Film producer Morani surrenders in rape case 23 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Iran tests new missile defying US warnings 23 Sep 2017 | AFP
- Development, not votes, is our priority: PM 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- India calls for global action to counter use of Internet for radicalisation 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Pak shells border posts, hamlets; BSF jawans among 7 injured 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Fiscal prudence a challenge, but no need for panic: Jaitley 22 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Swaraj meets Tillerson, discusses bilateral ties 22 Sep 2017 | PTI
- PM flags off Mahamana Express from Varanasi 22 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Sep 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Cambrian Public School put up a great show and defeated Delhi Public School by 4/1 in the finals of the two-day Inter-School Football Tournament: ‘Ranchi Cup’-2017 at Delhi Public School, Ranchi on Friday. Subrata Dutta, Sr...