Prez poll is fight against 'divisive, communal vision': Sonia
A day before the presidential election, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi today described the electoral contest as a fight against a "narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision".
Addressing opposition leaders in the presence of their presidential and vice presidential nominees - Meira Kumar and Gopal Krishna Gandhi respectively, she said, in these contests, the numbers may be against them but "the battle must be fought and fought hard".
"We cannot and must not let India be hostage to those who wish to impose upon it a narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision," she said.
According to the text of her speech, she said, "We must stand more aware than ever of who we are, what we fought for in our independence struggle and what future we want for ourselves.
"We must have confidence in the values we believe in. This election represents a clash of ideas, a conflict of disparate values. The election demands a vote of conscience to preserve the India that the Mahatma and that illustrious generation of freedom fighters, joined by thousands upon thousands of ordinary men and women, fought for," she said.
She said the presence of representatives from different parties to support Kumar and Gopal Gandhi confirms that "the fight for an inclusive, tolerant and pluralistic India is being truly waged".
The vice presidential poll will be held on August 5.
- Paradise Lost: Indian eves stumble at the finishing line 23 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Parliamentarians bid farewell to Prez Mukherjee 23 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Indian women restrict England to 228/7 in World Cup final 23 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Sunanda case: More anxious to know the truth, says Tharoor 23 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Swaraj to hold talks with Iraqi counterpart on abducted Indians 23 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Russia keen to sell MiG-35 to IAF, talks on: top official 23 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Women's World Cup: England win toss, decide to bat 23 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Vaghela's Cong exit to alter politics in poll-bound Guj 23 Jul 2017 | PTI
- OPS faction MLA formally joins ruling party 23 Jul 2017 | PTI
- RBI to lease currency verification systems to weed out fakes 23 Jul 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
23 Jul 2017 | IANS | New Delhi
Only 349 of 4,862 India's large dams have emergency disaster action plans in place, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India's performance report on flood control and management schemes of the Water Resources Ministry has revealed. "Out of 4,862 large dams, emergency action plans or disaster management plans of only 349 dams, which is seven per cent, were prepared (March 2016)...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A total of 18,404 students have registered in ‘Mukhya Mantri Medhavi Vidyarthi Yojana’. Registrations are being made under the scheme constantly...