Prez poll is fight against 'divisive, communal vision': Sonia
A day before the presidential election, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi today described the electoral contest as a fight against a "narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision".
Addressing opposition leaders in the presence of their presidential and vice presidential nominees - Meira Kumar and Gopal Krishna Gandhi respectively, she said, in these contests, the numbers may be against them but "the battle must be fought and fought hard".
"We cannot and must not let India be hostage to those who wish to impose upon it a narrow-minded, divisive and communal vision," she said.
According to the text of her speech, she said, "We must stand more aware than ever of who we are, what we fought for in our independence struggle and what future we want for ourselves.
"We must have confidence in the values we believe in. This election represents a clash of ideas, a conflict of disparate values. The election demands a vote of conscience to preserve the India that the Mahatma and that illustrious generation of freedom fighters, joined by thousands upon thousands of ordinary men and women, fought for," she said.
She said the presence of representatives from different parties to support Kumar and Gopal Gandhi confirms that "the fight for an inclusive, tolerant and pluralistic India is being truly waged".
The vice presidential poll will be held on August 5.
- India's role to expand in Indo-Pacific region: IMF 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Union cabinet approves ordinance for death penalty for rape of children 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Yashwant Sinha announces end of his association with BJP 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Asaram verdict: Security stepped up around victim's house 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Global showbiz world pays tribute to music genius Avicii 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Impeachment notice against CJI 'attack on judiciary': Vijay Goel 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- North Korea suspends nuclear, missile tests 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- NIA chargesheets Hizbul chief's son for raising funds for terror acts 20 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Ordinance likely to award death penalty for raping children up to 12 yrs 20 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Modi leaves for Germany after wrapping up UK visit 20 Apr 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal on Saturday inspected Anand Vihar ISBT area and reviewed issues related to traffic, parking, encroachment and sanitation. He directed Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System Ltd (DIMTS) and East Delhi Municipal Corporation to remove all unauthorised encroachments near the entry point of Anand Vihar ISBT and surrounding footpaths to facilitate easy movement of pedestrians...