Man burnt alive in Rajasthan for 'love jihad', accused arrested
In a horrifying video going viral, a man is seen being burnt alive in Rajasamand district of Rajasthan, for allegedly committing "love jihad". Police arrested the alleged perpetrator of the crime, Shambunath Raigar, on Thursday.
According to SP Manoj Kumar, the person killed has been identified as Mohammed Bhatta Sheikh. Interrogation of the accused is on, he added.
Rajasthan Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria has ordered a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the case.
Meanwhile, police are keeping an eye on the law and order situation in the state.
Initially, Raigar made a video of his brutal act and it was uploaded on social media. The video went viral when the police were conducting their investigations.
The video shows the perpetrator hitting the man with an agricultural tool, and then pouring kerosene on his body and burning him alive. Raigar is seen warning that those indulging in 'love jihad' will meet the same fate.
In another video, which is also going viral, Raigar is seen justifying the act as an endeavour to save a girl from 'love jihad'.
Speaking to IANS, SP Manoj Kumar said the police received information about a semi-burnt body lying in Ragnagar in Rajsamand district.
Without delay, he along with ASP Manish Tripathi and DSP Rajendra Singh reached the location where they found a badly disfigured body. Immediately the forensics team and dog squad were summoned. The agricultural tool used for murder, the victim's motorbike and his slippers were found at the crime scene.
- SC Constitution bench to hear pleas against Aadhaar tomorrow 13 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda convicted in coal scam case 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr from Centre for Ockhi damage 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- SC stalls Centre's takeover of Unitech 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Inflation jumps to 15-month high, IIP slows to 2.2% 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Undercurrent against BJP in Guj; results will be 'zabardast': Rahul 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- For many Muslims, EVM the real enemy 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi should stop telling lies: BJP 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Sharad Yadav moves HC against disqualification from RS 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Gujarat election: EC orders repolling in 6 booths on Thursday 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
13 Dec 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
The Congress will organise a yatra covering all the 11 districts where the party feels that the employment rights of the locals have been compromised with. The protest is also against the said promise reportedly made by Chief Minister Raghubar Das to amend the decision allowing outsiders into Government jobs in certain part of the State...