× CLOSE MENU
- BJP caricature of Rahul Gandhi not working any more: Tharoor
- PM inaugurates ferry service between Ghogha and Dahej in Guj
- AP CM Naidu meets scientists and food experts in US
- Democratic chairman: Trump 'most dangerous' president ever
- Mukul Roy likely to be inducted in BJP in Nov: party leader
- Militant killed in encounter in J-K's Kupwara
SC asks EC to decide claim over AIADMK poll symbol by Nov 10
Friday, 06 October 2017 | PTI | New Delhi
The Supreme Court today granted time till November 10 to the Election Commission to decide the claims over the AIADMK's two-leaves election symbol by the rival factions of the party.
The apex court also said the poll panel can go ahead with its scheduled hearing today itself.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra disposed off the petition filed by T T V Dhinakaran, the deputy general secretary of a faction of the AIADMK party, challenging a Madras High Court order asking the poll panel to decide the election symbol row by October 31.
Dhinakaran had sought at least four months more on some grounds, including that the rival factions have filed affidavits running into 10,000 pages and he needed time to respond to them.
Senior advocate Ashok Desai, appearing for Dhinakaran, assailed the order passed by the Madurai bench of the Madras High Court that he has not been given reasonable time to put forth his case before the poll panel.
Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for the rival AIADMK faction, claimed Dhinakaran had very few MPs and MLAs in his support and wanted to prolong the proceedings.
The apex court disposed off the petition, saying the poll panel was a high constitutional body which was competent to deal with the question as per the provisions of the law.
- Sharif brothers tried to assassinate me twice: Zardari 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- 'US considering Indian request of armed drones for air force' 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- BJP caricature of Rahul Gandhi not working any more: Tharoor 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- It's 2017, not 1817: Rahul Gandhi to Rajasthan CM 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- PM inaugurates ferry service between Ghogha and Dahej in Guj 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Abe eyes fresh term as Japan votes under N. Korea threats 22 Oct 2017 | AFP
- Egypt Prez desires to take ties with India to higher level: Akbar 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Mukul Roy likely to be inducted in BJP in Nov: party leader 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Zakir Naik to be chargesheeted by NIA this week 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Democratic chairman: Trump 'most dangerous' president ever 22 Oct 2017 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...
Copyright © 2017 The Pioneer. All Rights Reserved Site Designed and Developed by: Infomedia Web Solutions