- Almost USD 30 million seized in raids linked to Malaysian ex-PM
- Samsung must pay Apple $539mn in patent lawsuit: US court
- HDK faces floor test today; expected to sail through
- Special NIA court convicts five IM militants in Bodh Gaya serial blasts case
- Two men detonate explosive device at Indian restaurant in Canada; 15 injured
SC to hear plea for interim relief on mandatory linking of Aadhaar
The Supreme Court on Thursday said it will hear a batch of application seeking interim relief on the mandatory linking of Aadhaar with various schemes including bank accounts and mobile telephone numbers.
Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice A.M. Khanwikar and Justice D.Y. Chandrachud said the Constitution bench that will hear the various plea for interim relief will also indicate the dates when petitions challenging the constitutional validity of Aadhaar Act would to taken up for hearing.
As the court said that the matter would be heard next week by the Constitution bench, Attorney General K.K. Venugopal indicated that the deadline for the linking of bank accounts with Aadhaar would be extended till March 31, 2018.
However, he expressed some difficulty in extending the deadline on linking with mobile telephones in view of the earlier ruling of the top court.
The Attorney General said that in respect of 131 services, a notification would be issued.
The court said the plea for interim relief would be heard next week after the Aadhaar matter was mentioned by senior counsel P.B. Suresh who appeared for lead petitioner Justice K.S. Puttuswamy -- a former judge of the Karnataka High Court.
Justice Puttuswamy and many others have challenged the validity of Aadhaar Act on the grounds that it violates the fundamental right to privacy.
- Congress's Ramesh Kumar elected Karnataka Assembly Speaker 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Gadkari advocates bringing fuel under GST 25 May 2018 | IANS
- Almost USD 30 million seized in raids linked to Malaysian ex-PM 25 May 2018 | AFP
- HDK faces floor test today; expected to sail through 25 May 2018 | PTI
- NIA court convicts five IM militants in 2013 Bodh Gaya blasts 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Two men detonate explosive device at Indian restaurant in Canada; 15 injured 25 May 2018 | PTI
- HDK to face floor test tomorrow; BJP throws gauntlet, fields Nominee for Speaker's post 24 May 2018 | PTI
- TN firing toll 13; Stalin, CM trade accusations on violence 24 May 2018 | PTI
- CS assault case: Sisodia to be quizzed tomorrow 24 May 2018 | PTI
- Centre working on long-term solution to fuel prices: Pradhan 24 May 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2018 | Santosh Narayan | Ranchi
When Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Jharkhand visit on Friday sits with the Deputy Commissioners and officials of the 19 aspirational districts it would boost hope of speedy development of the areas that have been in the red zone. It is learnt that all the DCs concerned have been told to be ready with crisp presentations highlighting not only the good works done in their areas identified but also...