SC to hear plea for interim relief on mandatory linking of Aadhaar
The Supreme Court on Thursday said it will hear a batch of application seeking interim relief on the mandatory linking of Aadhaar with various schemes including bank accounts and mobile telephone numbers.
Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice A.M. Khanwikar and Justice D.Y. Chandrachud said the Constitution bench that will hear the various plea for interim relief will also indicate the dates when petitions challenging the constitutional validity of Aadhaar Act would to taken up for hearing.
As the court said that the matter would be heard next week by the Constitution bench, Attorney General K.K. Venugopal indicated that the deadline for the linking of bank accounts with Aadhaar would be extended till March 31, 2018.
However, he expressed some difficulty in extending the deadline on linking with mobile telephones in view of the earlier ruling of the top court.
The Attorney General said that in respect of 131 services, a notification would be issued.
The court said the plea for interim relief would be heard next week after the Aadhaar matter was mentioned by senior counsel P.B. Suresh who appeared for lead petitioner Justice K.S. Puttuswamy -- a former judge of the Karnataka High Court.
Justice Puttuswamy and many others have challenged the validity of Aadhaar Act on the grounds that it violates the fundamental right to privacy.
- SC Constitution bench to hear pleas against Aadhaar tomorrow 13 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda convicted in coal scam case 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr from Centre for Ockhi damage 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- SC stalls Centre's takeover of Unitech 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Inflation jumps to 15-month high, IIP slows to 2.2% 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Undercurrent against BJP in Guj; results will be 'zabardast': Rahul 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- For many Muslims, EVM the real enemy 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi should stop telling lies: BJP 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Sharad Yadav moves HC against disqualification from RS 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Gujarat election: EC orders repolling in 6 booths on Thursday 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
13 Dec 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
The Congress will organise a yatra covering all the 11 districts where the party feels that the employment rights of the locals have been compromised with. The protest is also against the said promise reportedly made by Chief Minister Raghubar Das to amend the decision allowing outsiders into Government jobs in certain part of the State...