- BJP poised to take power in Himachal
- After early hiccups, BJP set to retain power in Gujarat
- Cong to build alternative narrative based on fairness,jobs for all: Chidambaram
- AIADMK battles war within; actors eye political vacuum in TN
- DRDO has key role in 'Make in India' programme: Sitharaman
- BJP supporters scuttle programme in memory of Nirbhaya: AAP
Sharad Yadav removed as leader of JD(U) in Rajya Sabha
Janata Dal(U) Rajya Sabha members today removed Sharad Yadav, who opposed the party's decision to ally with the BJP in Bihar, as their leader in the House and replaced him with R C P Singh, a senior party leader said.
The MPs met Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu to hand him a letter appointing Singh as the leader of the JD(U) in the upper house, the leader said.
Singh is a trusted lieutenant of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
The JD(U) has 10 members in the Rajya Sabha. It had last night suspended its Rajya Sabha member Ali Anwar Ansari from the parliamentary party for attending a meeting of opposition parties convened by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
Differences between Kumar and Yadav surfaced after the former snapped ties with the Congress and the RJD, and allied with the BJP to form a new government in Bihar last month.
Yadav, who is on a tour of Bihar, has said he still believes he is a part of the Grand Alliance with the RJD and the Congress. The JD(U) is not just Nitish Kumar's party, but also his party, he has said.
Yadav also claimed that the real JD(U) was with him and the one with Kumar was 'sarkari' JD(U).
In a related development, BJP president Amit Shah said in a tweet today that he had invited Kumar to join the ruling NDA.
- BJP poised to take power in Himachal 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- After early hiccups, BJP set to retain power in Gujarat 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- All eyes on Gujarat as stage set for counting tomorrow 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Pak 'processing' visa applications of Jadhav's wife, mother 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Third ODI: India restrict Sri Lanka to low score 17 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Cong to build alternative narrative based on fairness,jobs for all: Chidambaram 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Protests over driver's death in J&K Army ambush 17 Dec 2017 | IANS
- AIADMK battles war within; actors eye political vacuum in TN 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- DRDO has key role in 'Make in India' programme: Sitharaman 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- BJP supporters scuttle programme in memory of Nirbhaya: AAP 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The State Government has recommended to the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) to stop entry of devotees into the sanctum sanctorum (Garvagriha) of the shrine. In a letter to the SJTA, the Government has asked for restrictions on darshan of the deities by devotees, including VIPs...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Police are investigating different possibilities in the case of the two men found dead at the Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan on Friday. The bodies of Kamal Ram, a native of Rudraprayag and Sonu Kumar of Dehradun were found at Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan near Haridwar Bypass...