Sharad Yadav removed as leader of JD(U) in Rajya Sabha
Janata Dal(U) Rajya Sabha members today removed Sharad Yadav, who opposed the party's decision to ally with the BJP in Bihar, as their leader in the House and replaced him with R C P Singh, a senior party leader said.
The MPs met Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu to hand him a letter appointing Singh as the leader of the JD(U) in the upper house, the leader said.
Singh is a trusted lieutenant of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
The JD(U) has 10 members in the Rajya Sabha. It had last night suspended its Rajya Sabha member Ali Anwar Ansari from the parliamentary party for attending a meeting of opposition parties convened by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
Differences between Kumar and Yadav surfaced after the former snapped ties with the Congress and the RJD, and allied with the BJP to form a new government in Bihar last month.
Yadav, who is on a tour of Bihar, has said he still believes he is a part of the Grand Alliance with the RJD and the Congress. The JD(U) is not just Nitish Kumar's party, but also his party, he has said.
Yadav also claimed that the real JD(U) was with him and the one with Kumar was 'sarkari' JD(U).
In a related development, BJP president Amit Shah said in a tweet today that he had invited Kumar to join the ruling NDA.
- US destroyer sails near South China Sea island 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Fourth fodder case: Lalu sentenced to 7 years each on two counts 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Two militants killed in J&K gunfight 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- ED attaches Nirav Modi's properties worth Rs 25 cr 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- BJP at 69, Congress at 50 in Rajya Sabha after polls 24 Mar 2018 | PTI
- French supermarket attack: Police 'hero' dies of wounds 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Musk deletes SpaceX, Tesla Facebook pages, Sonos withdraws ads 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- BCCI clears Shami of corruption charge, gives central contract 22 Mar 2018 | PTI
- No Jaya footage to prevent people from watching: Apollo 22 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Riot cases will be withdrawn if politically motivated: UP govt 22 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A proposal to set up two centres of excellence, one in floriculture and another in citrus fruits, in Madhya Pradesh with the cooperation of Israel is awaiting the Centre's green-signal. While talking to media persons here on Thursday, Israel Consul General in Mumbai Yaakov Finkelstein told, “India and Israel are working on to strengthen the partnership and cooperation in the fields of agriculture and water...