- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
Sherin Mathews' father indicted on capital murder charge
The father of Sherin Mathews, a 3- year-old Indian girl whose body was found near their suburban Dallas home less than a year after she was adopted from an Indian orphanage, was today indicted for capital murder by a grand jury.
Sherin, reported missing on October 7, was found dead in a culvert about 1 km from her home on October 22 by a cadaver dog during a massive search for the missing toddler.
"We can't go into details, but based on that autopsy report, we were able to determine that we can seek capital murder for this case," Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson said at a news conference announcing the indictment.
Dallas County court records show 37-year-old Wesley also faces charges of abandoning a child and tampering with evidence.
Wesley, the toddler's adoptive father, was also indicted by a Dallas County grand jury on charges of abandoning a child and tampering with evidence.
Wesley had initially told police that Sherin disappeared overnight after he ordered her to stand outside at about 3 am for not drinking her milk. When he returned, Wesley said she had disappeared and that her location was unknown.
The Medical Examiner's office ruled last week the toddler died of "homicidal violence."
Prosecutors are not revealing what else they may know about how the little girl was killed.
"The evidence is still unfolding in this case. We don't want anything to jeopardize this case. We think that we have a great case, we plan to pursue this case vigorously, and we don't want anything to hamper it in any kind of way," Johnson said.
In a statement today, Mitchell Nolte and Gregg Gibbs, attorneys for Sini Mathews, said, "The indictments handed down today by a Dallas County Grand Jury confirm what we have previously stated. Sini Mathews had nothing to do with the tragic death of Sherin Mathews."
Wesley was arrested and charged with felony injury to a child, which carries a sentence of up to life in prison. He is still in the Dallas County jail on a USD 1 million bond.
His wife, 35-year-old Sini Mathews, is also in jail, held on a USD 100,000 bond for child endangerment/abandoning for allegedly leaving Sherin home alone while she, her husband, and their other daughter went to dinner on October 6, the night before Wesley reported Sherin missing.
- DK does it in style, India win Nidahas T20 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Rahul attacks Modi on corruption, promises galvanised party in 2019 'Kuruskshtra' battle 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Bangladesh set India 167-run target in final 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- None can raise question on govt's integrity, intention: Rajnath 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Modi not fighting corruption, is corruption himself: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Indian ethos includes respect for believers, non-believers: Dalai Lama 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Rahul Dravid files police complaint against ponzi firm 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BJP, RSS like Kauravas, designed to fight for power: Rahul 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- IITians should aspire to achieve best for society: President 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Demonetization was a greatest lie: Chidambaram 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...