Sidhu joins Congress after meeting Rahul Gandhi
Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu today joined Congress ahead of assembly poll in Punjab after meeting party Vice President Rahul Gandhi.
Sidhu's wife Navjot Kaur had joined Congress in November last year leading to speculation that he may follow suit.
"Indian National Congress (INC) welcomes S Navjot Singh Sidhu into Congress family and we thank Congress Vice President for his visionary approach in bringing together like-minded people on common platform under the Congress umbrella," Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala said in a statement.
"Known for straight taking, ideological commitment to the cause of nationalism as also wit and humour, we are certain that Congress party will be immensely strengthened in Punjab and elsewhere with the entry of Sidhu," said the statement posted on the party twitter handle.
Navjot Kaur along with Pargat Singh, a former Akali Dal legislator who had joined hands with Sidhu to form the outfit Awaaz-E Punjab, had joined Congress after the Sidhus left the BJP.
Earlier, there was speculation that the couple may join Aam Aadmi Party but their talks with AAP leadership failed.
Punjab goes to polls on February 4.
- Rahul puts forth demands to PM ahead of his address 31 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Rahul trying to weaken fight against black money: BJP 24 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Kejriwal attacks PM, Cong over note scrapping 20 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Set up commission to probe source of political parties' funds: Kejriwal 17 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Uddhav mocks BJP-Cong for Parl logjam over demonetisation 15 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi, Kejriwal wish President on birthday 11 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Vijay Mallya's twitter account hacked 09 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Jaya buried with full state honours, Prez, PM pay homage 06 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Naidu attacks Cong, Left over tomorrow's planned protests 27 Nov 2016 | PTI
- 'BJP should declare it will contest polls with cheques only' 13 Nov 2016 | PTI
- Mamata concerned over rise in petrol, diesel prices 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Congress-mukt Northeast after Mizoram polls: Amit Shah 20 May 2018 | IANS
- Congress accuses Modi of using petrol price as political tool, demands cut 20 May 2018 | IANS
- 18 people stranded due to unseasonal snowfall rescued in JK 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Ahead of swearing-in, Kumaraswamy to meet Sonia, Rahul in Delhi tomorrow 20 May 2018 | PTI
- China's gold mine at Arunachal border may become another flash point with India 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Karnataka development a victory for democracy: Rajinikanth 20 May 2018 | PTI
- India working on unmanned tanks, vessels, robotic weaponry for future wars 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Petrol, diesel in Delhi hit record highs 20 May 2018 | IANS
- Pak Rangers ring up BSF to stop firing as trooper killed, assets destroyed across IB 20 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...