Sidhu joins Congress after meeting Rahul Gandhi
Cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu today joined Congress ahead of assembly poll in Punjab after meeting party Vice President Rahul Gandhi.
Sidhu's wife Navjot Kaur had joined Congress in November last year leading to speculation that he may follow suit.
"Indian National Congress (INC) welcomes S Navjot Singh Sidhu into Congress family and we thank Congress Vice President for his visionary approach in bringing together like-minded people on common platform under the Congress umbrella," Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala said in a statement.
"Known for straight taking, ideological commitment to the cause of nationalism as also wit and humour, we are certain that Congress party will be immensely strengthened in Punjab and elsewhere with the entry of Sidhu," said the statement posted on the party twitter handle.
Navjot Kaur along with Pargat Singh, a former Akali Dal legislator who had joined hands with Sidhu to form the outfit Awaaz-E Punjab, had joined Congress after the Sidhus left the BJP.
Earlier, there was speculation that the couple may join Aam Aadmi Party but their talks with AAP leadership failed.
Punjab goes to polls on February 4.
- Rahul puts forth demands to PM ahead of his address 31 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Rahul trying to weaken fight against black money: BJP 24 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Kejriwal attacks PM, Cong over note scrapping 20 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Set up commission to probe source of political parties' funds: Kejriwal 17 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Uddhav mocks BJP-Cong for Parl logjam over demonetisation 15 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi, Kejriwal wish President on birthday 11 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Vijay Mallya's twitter account hacked 09 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Jaya buried with full state honours, Prez, PM pay homage 06 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Naidu attacks Cong, Left over tomorrow's planned protests 27 Nov 2016 | PTI
- 'BJP should declare it will contest polls with cheques only' 13 Nov 2016 | PTI
- CBI arrests Rotomac firm owner Vikram Kothari, son 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- CBI busts Whatsapp-based global child porn racket 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- India ascertaining how visa issued to Khalistan separatist 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Canada, India committed to diversity, trip yielded $1 bn investment: Trudeau 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Maldives President turns down UN Secretary-General's mediation offer 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Allahabad HC refuses plea against UP CM in 2007 riot case 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- MEA ascertaining details from Mission on Atwal getting visa 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Delhi government staff to observe 5-minutes silence as protest every day 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Ajmal objects but Army defends chief's remarks on AIUDF's rise 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Come up with implementable plan to repay dues: PNB to Nirav Modi 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Feb 2018 | Nityanand Dubey | Garhwa
Agriculture Technology Management Agency (ATMA) organised a district level Kisan Mela cum-Exhibition at Govind High School ground here on Thursday. The fair was jointly inaugurated by Garhwa Deputy Commissioner Dr...