- Chanda Kochhar to continue as MD and CEO, to go on leave till completion of internal
- CBI followed up with 6 countries to reiterate that Nirav Modi's passport was revoked
- Delhi HC asks who authorised Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal's sit-in at lieutenant
- Partly cloudy sky in Delhi, rains likely
- Kejriwal continues sit-in protest
Sit-in by Kejriwal, ministers: Delhi Assembly Speaker Ram Niwas Goel attacks LG
Delhi Assembly Speaker Ram Niwas Goel has jumped into the fray to attack Lt Governor Anil Baijal over IAS officers' "strike" and lent his support to the demands of Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his ministers staging a sit-in at the L-G office since Monday evening.
The AAP government's demands to the L-G include direction to IAS officers to end their "strike", action against those who have struck work for "four months". It has also asked the L-G to approve the proposal for doorstep delivery of rations.
In his letter to Baijal yesterday, Goel said that the work of Delhi's development has been affected for the last few months, which was a "well-planned conspiracy" and asked him to get "undeclared strike" by officers called off.
The Speaker said that when IAS officers were asked in the meetings of assembly committees as to why they were not attending ministers' meetings, they said, "We (officers) are not going to these meetings as it is the decision of IAS officers."
"Is it not strike? Don't you (L-G) think it is an attack on the interest of Delhi's people? Don't you think it is an insult of people? The only reason behind all these things is the strike of IAS officers...
"Being a supreme administrator, you should get the undeclared strike called off while fulfilling your constitutional responsibilities so that people can breathe a sigh of relief," Geol said in the letter written in Hindi.
Goel told the L-G that if he did not take steps, it would not be appropriate for him.
The IAS officers' association has maintained that "no officer is on strike and no work has been affected".
During the Budget Session in March, Goel had hit out at Baijal after he communicated to him that he could not admit questions on reserved subjects including law and order, services and land.
As a mark of their protest against the L-G's move, Goel, Sisodia, cabinet ministers and all AAP legislators wore black bands during the House proceedings then.
- PM turning blind eye to anarchy in Delhi: Rahul Gandhi 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- PM regards Northeast as 'Ashta Lakshmi', it will soon become biggest contributor to GDP: Shah 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Rahul writes to slain scribe's father, offers condolence 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Nirav Modi managed to travel despite Interpol flashing info on revocation of passport: CBI 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Vice Prez visits AIIMS to inquire about Vajpayee's health 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Pradhan to take up crude price issue at OPEC Vienna meet 18 Jun 2018 | IANS
- After Jain, now Sisodia sent to hospital 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Chandimal denies ball tampering with sweet, rescues Sri Lanka with bat 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India has overcome Congress legacy, can no more use it as excuse: NITI Aayog Vice Chairman 18 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Three killed as gangs fire at each other in north Delhi 18 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Jun 2018 | PNS | DALTONGANJ
214 Battalion of CRPF and Latehar district police on Monday recovered one AK56, said Commandant of 214 battalion of CRPF Ajay Singh. Sources said it has been recovered at village Kuyee under Garu police station which is a kendu leaf hub and here the stake of the extremists be they are CPI Maoists or JJMP is too high...