S. Africa reach 78/0 till lunch on Day 1
South Africa got off to a fine start in the second cricket Test against India, reaching 78/0 in their first innings till lunch on the first day at the SuperSport Park here on Saturday.
After South Africa skipper Faf du Plessis won the toss and elected to bat, opening batsmen Aiden Markram (51 batting) and Dean Elgar (26 batting) batted sensibly as they were in control mode against the Indian bowlers.
The 23-year-old right-hander Markram registered his second fifty with the help of nine fours. He was the aggressor of the two, while Elgar batted with steely resolve and backed his defensive techniques to the hilt.
On a bouncy wicket with less seam and swing as compared to the Newlands wicket in the first Test, Indian pacers Jasprit Bumrah, Ishant Sharma and Harik Pandya operated with probing line and length.
Ishant replaced Bhuvneshwar Kumar for this match, while injured glovesman Wriddhiman Saha made way for Parthiv Patel. Another change was Lokesh Rahul replacing Shikhar Dhawan.
Mohammed Shami disappointed by bowling fully-pitched deliveries which were milked by Markram.
Markram also punished Pandya when he unleashed deliveries higher up the pitch late towards the lunch session.
In his second spell, Bumrah was off-colour, going for three fours in an over.
When South Africa were 61/0, India sought a review after the umpire turned down a caught behind appeal against Elgar off off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin. But the umpire's decision remained with the snickometer giving no sign of the ball kissing the bat.
Brief scores: South Africa: 78/0 (Aiden Markram 51 batting, Dean Elgar 26 batting) vs India till lunch on Day 1.
- Amit Shah slams Assam's social media team 25 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Delhi HC stays cutting of trees till July 4 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- SC to hear on plea of 18 disqualified AIADMK MLAs 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Five killed as rains clobber Maharashtra, road, rail traffic hit 25 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Shah asks workers to ensure 50 pc vote share; asserts BJP won't allow anyone to abolish reservations 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi visits AIIMS to enquire on Vajpayee's health 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- FIR against former CM Siddaramaiah in land denotification case 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 2 LeT militants killed in encounter in south Kashmir 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Mehbooba hits back at Shah 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Emergency turned democracy into constitutional dictatorship: Jaitley 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jun 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Recognising the intent and passion of the Central Sarna Committee in safeguarding tribal customs as well as in infusing modern practices into the tribal community, Chief Minister Raghubar Das called upon the people to extend their support to the cause. The Chief Minister, in the same breath, rapped 'anti-national' forces who he alleged are attacking open culture of the community and said that the Government is here to protect the rights...