S. Africa reach 78/0 till lunch on Day 1
South Africa got off to a fine start in the second cricket Test against India, reaching 78/0 in their first innings till lunch on the first day at the SuperSport Park here on Saturday.
After South Africa skipper Faf du Plessis won the toss and elected to bat, opening batsmen Aiden Markram (51 batting) and Dean Elgar (26 batting) batted sensibly as they were in control mode against the Indian bowlers.
The 23-year-old right-hander Markram registered his second fifty with the help of nine fours. He was the aggressor of the two, while Elgar batted with steely resolve and backed his defensive techniques to the hilt.
On a bouncy wicket with less seam and swing as compared to the Newlands wicket in the first Test, Indian pacers Jasprit Bumrah, Ishant Sharma and Harik Pandya operated with probing line and length.
Ishant replaced Bhuvneshwar Kumar for this match, while injured glovesman Wriddhiman Saha made way for Parthiv Patel. Another change was Lokesh Rahul replacing Shikhar Dhawan.
Mohammed Shami disappointed by bowling fully-pitched deliveries which were milked by Markram.
Markram also punished Pandya when he unleashed deliveries higher up the pitch late towards the lunch session.
In his second spell, Bumrah was off-colour, going for three fours in an over.
When South Africa were 61/0, India sought a review after the umpire turned down a caught behind appeal against Elgar off off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin. But the umpire's decision remained with the snickometer giving no sign of the ball kissing the bat.
Brief scores: South Africa: 78/0 (Aiden Markram 51 batting, Dean Elgar 26 batting) vs India till lunch on Day 1.
- India bowl out S. Africa for 258; need 287 to clinch second Test 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Delhi Assembly panel to look into sealing drive 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- SC questions locus of BJP leader who filed appeal in Bofors case 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Congress hoodwinked people by laying foundation stones: Modi 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Benjamin Netanyahu, wife visit Taj Majal 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- No Haj subsidy from this year: Naqvi 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- US trying to convince Pak, India is not threat to Pak: Defence Minister 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Khattar govt bans release of "Padmaavat" in Haryana 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- CJI met four senior-most judges of SC: Sources 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Trump goes after the Dem who surfaced his immigration remark 16 Jan 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jan 2018 | PRAGYA PALLAVI | Ranchi
Annual Status of Education Report (ASER-2017) released on Tuesday covering 28 districts of 24 States on ‘Beyond Basics’- A survey of rural India youths, presented a gloomy picture of Jharkhand on a few basic parameters in comparison with the districts of Bihar, Odisha, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh. The survey based on 4 As (Activity, Ability, Awareness, Aspirations) covering the age group 14-18 years, Jharkhand lags behind in enrollment status, digital use,...