SP wrests Adityanath's Gorakhpur bastion
Samajwadi Party candidate Praveen Nishad today won the by-poll to the Gorakhpur Lok Sabha seat defeating nearest rival and BJP candidate Upendra Shukla by a margin of 21,881 votes.
The SP candidate was backed by BSP, NISHAD Party and Peace Party.
According to the returning officer, Praveen Nishad polled 4,56,513 votes, while BJP's Upendra Shukla bagged 4,34,632 votes. Sureetha Kareem of the Congress was a distant third with 18,858 votes.
Reacting to his son's victory, president of NISHAD party, Sanjay Nishad, said, it was neither the defeat of Yogi Adityanath nor the defeat of Gorakhnath Mutt.
"We all respect the Gorakhnath Mutt. I think people have voted against policies like demonetization and GST. It is the defeat of policies of Modi government and victory of SP policies and work done by Akhilesh Yadav," he said.
The win of two SP candidates in the two bypolls takes the SP's tally in Lok Sabha to seven.
- SC notice to dentist couple in Aarushi murder case 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Court convicts Lalu Prasad in 4th case of fodder scam 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Wang Yi is China's key negotiator on border talks with India 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- National Herald case: YI asked to deposit Rs 10 cr in IT case 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- SC seeks Centre's reply on plea for CBI probe into Junaid lynching case 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- No-confidence motion not taken up; Govt says ready for discussion 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Putin wins fourth term with record vote 19 Mar 2018 | AFP
- Raj Thackeray calls for 'Modi-mukt Bharat' 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- DK does it in style, India win Nidahas T20 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Rahul attacks Modi on corruption, promises galvanised party in 2019 'Kuruskshtra' battle 18 Mar 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...