- Jharkhand High Court extends RJD president Lalu Prasad's provisional bail till July 3
- Missing county has been blessing in disguise: Kohli
- ISJK chief among four militants killed in Kashmir, cop and civilian also dead
- ED moves special court to declare Vijay Mallya fugitive offender
- New Zealand prime minister gives birth to healthy baby girl
SP's Naresh Agrawal joins BJP
Rajya Sabha MP Naresh Agrawal, who lost out in the race for re-nomination to the upper house to Jaya Bachchan, today quit the Samajwadi Party and joined the BJP, which was left embarrassed after he remarked that the SP had equated him with the film actor "who used to dance in films".
Agrawal, who has courted controversies in the past too over his statements, made the remarks in the presence BJP leaders, including Union minister Piyush Goyal, at a press conference held at the party headquarters here to announce his joining the BJP.
"I have been compared with those who dance and work in films," Agrawal said, leaving the BJP leaders on the dais squirming.
BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra, however, immediately distanced his party from Agrawal's remarks, saying his party respects people from all fields and welcomed them in politics.
Agrawal also expressed his affection for SP patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav and his cousin Ram Gopal Yadav, but said the party's strength in Uttar Pradesh has depleted.
He also praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi and party chief Amit Shah and claimed that the people of his community were solidly behind the saffron party.
Agrawal also said that his MLA son will vote in favour of the BJP in the Rajya Sabha polls.
Agrawal's term as Rajya Sabha member is ending on April 2. Bachchan has once again been nominated to the upper house by the Samajwadi Party.
His remarks in the House mocking Hindu gods had sparked an uproar last year.
- Shah to address rally in Jammu tomorrow 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Indian contingent, part of UN peacekeeping mission, awarded 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Surat court issues arrest warrant against Nirav Modi 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- EC registers Haasan's party MNM 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Kejriwal is in good condition,says naturecure institute officials 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 9 security personnel injured in militant attack in JK's Pulwama 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Jharkhand HC extends Lalu's provisional bail till July 3 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Mehbooba visits JK guv, discusses issues related to state's development 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Vohra holds all-party meet to discuss JK situation 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Missing county has been blessing in disguise: Kohli 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...