- P V Sindhu enters semifinals of All England Championship.
- Centre tells SC it will not damage Ram Sethu for shipping channel project
- Andhra CM targets PMO, alleges conspiracy
- 'TDP's exit signals opportunity for BJP to grow in Andhra'
- Bhagwant Mann resigns as AAP Punjab chief
- TDP quits NDA; to move no-confidence motion
SP's Naresh Agrawal joins BJP
Rajya Sabha MP Naresh Agrawal, who lost out in the race for re-nomination to the upper house to Jaya Bachchan, today quit the Samajwadi Party and joined the BJP, which was left embarrassed after he remarked that the SP had equated him with the film actor "who used to dance in films".
Agrawal, who has courted controversies in the past too over his statements, made the remarks in the presence BJP leaders, including Union minister Piyush Goyal, at a press conference held at the party headquarters here to announce his joining the BJP.
"I have been compared with those who dance and work in films," Agrawal said, leaving the BJP leaders on the dais squirming.
BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra, however, immediately distanced his party from Agrawal's remarks, saying his party respects people from all fields and welcomed them in politics.
Agrawal also expressed his affection for SP patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav and his cousin Ram Gopal Yadav, but said the party's strength in Uttar Pradesh has depleted.
He also praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi and party chief Amit Shah and claimed that the people of his community were solidly behind the saffron party.
Agrawal also said that his MLA son will vote in favour of the BJP in the Rajya Sabha polls.
Agrawal's term as Rajya Sabha member is ending on April 2. Bachchan has once again been nominated to the upper house by the Samajwadi Party.
His remarks in the House mocking Hindu gods had sparked an uproar last year.
- Trade a big friction in India-US ties: WH 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Gorakhpur made BJP realise even this can happen: Rajnath 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Sonia targets Modi, accuses him of making hollow promises 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Russia to expel 23 British diplomats: foreign ministry 17 Mar 2018 | AFP
- EC should revert to use of paper ballot over EVMs: Congress 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Pak to skip WTO meet in New Delhi 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Cong set to roll out road map for halting BJP's juggernaut ahead of 2019 polls 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BJP spreading anger, hatred: Rahul 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Farm income to double by 2022: Modi 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Mass arrests in Maldives as activists defy emergency 17 Mar 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
11 Mar 2018 | PTI | Beijing
An elderly woman in China on Saturday vandalised the stall of a fortune teller who wrongly predicted her death, according to a media report. The fortune-teller told the 70-year-old womanin Mianyang in southwestern Sichuan province in March last year that she would not live to see 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the State Assembly Ajay Singh and Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Arun Yadav on Friday called on Chief Election Commissioner OP Rawat and urged him to get investigated the matter related to large scale irregularities in the electoral rolls in Madhya Pradesh. The two requested the CEC to get the matter investigated before the assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh, scheduled in November, 2018...