Syria condemns attack by US-led coalition
Syria today condemned a US-led coalition strike on pro-government forces as a "brazen attack" and said it would "not be intimidated" after the surprise assault.
US-led warplanes carried out the yesterday strike in the east of the country against a convoy of pro-government forces headed towards a remote coalition garrison near the border with Jordan.
"On Thursday at 16:30, the so-called international coalition attacked one of the Syrian Arab Army's positions on the Al-Tanf road in the Syrian Badia region, producing a number of martyrs and causing material damage," a military source told Syrian state media.
"This brazen attack by the so-called international coalition exposes the falseness of its claims to be fighting terrorism," it added.
"The Syrian Arab Army is fighting terrorism on its territory, and no party has the right to determine the course of its operations," the source said.
"The Syrian Arab Army will... Not be intimidated by the attempts of the so-called coalition to stop it from performing its sacred duties."
Syrian ally Russia also denounced the US-led strike as "unacceptable."
"Such actions that were carried out against the Syrian armed forces... This is completely unacceptable, this is a breach of Syrian sovereignty," deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov was quoted as saying by state-run RIA Novosti in Geneva.
In a statement, the US-led coalition said it had struck "pro-regime forces... That posed a threat to US and partner forces."
The coalition said the strike came after unsuccessful "Russian attempts to dissuade Syrian pro-regime movement" as well as "a coalition aircraft show of force, and the firing of warning shots."
Syrian state media gave no precise toll in the attack, but the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor, reported eight killed "most of them non-Syrian."
An array of regular and irregular forces are battling alongside the government against rebels, including Russian and Iranian soldiers, and militants from Iraq and Lebanon's Hezbollah group.
The yesterday strike comes in the context of growing tension over which forces will take on the Islamic State group in Syria's east.
President Bashar al-Assad's army is trying to prevent US-backed forces from leading that fight.
- No confirmation on death of 2 Keralities who joined terror groups:CM 08 May 2017 | PTI
- Tillerson, Lavrov discuss Syria conflict 06 May 2017 | PTI
- US-backed Syria force advances against IS in Tabqa: monitor 30 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Assad office says US strike 'foolish, irresponsible' 07 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Syria's Assad, Russia and Iran have blood on hands: Obama 17 Dec 2016 | PTI
- India abstains from voting on UNGA resolution on Syria 10 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Ban opens UN General Assembly with call to end Syria fighting 20 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Putin says Syria rebels using truce to regroup 17 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Dalai Lama urges talks with Islamic State, help for refugees 13 Sep 2016 | AP
- ISIS training 'next generation' fighters: Report 30 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Chinese daily says Doval 'main schemer', he can't end border row 25 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Diversity is key to India's success: Prez Ram Nath Kovind 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Change of guard at Rashtrapati Bhavan begins with knock on the door 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Armed forces sufficiently equipped: Defence Minister Jaitley 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Ram Nath Kovind is India's 14th president 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Seven killed in Mumbai building collapse 25 Jul 2017 | IANS
- Nifty breaches 10,000 mark, Sensex at new high on fund inflows 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- China resorting to 'coercive practices' to achieve goals: CIA 25 Jul 2017 | PTI
- FM introduces bill to replace Banking Regulation Ordinance 24 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Free public discourse from violence: Mukherjee in last address to nation as president 24 Jul 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
23 Jul 2017 | IANS | New Delhi
Only 349 of 4,862 India's large dams have emergency disaster action plans in place, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India's performance report on flood control and management schemes of the Water Resources Ministry has revealed. "Out of 4,862 large dams, emergency action plans or disaster management plans of only 349 dams, which is seven per cent, were prepared (March 2016)...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jul 2017 | PNS | HAZARIBAGH
The Hazaribagh district unit of Sanskar Bharti organized Rangoli-Mehndi competition in the premises of Hindu +2 High School. Despite continuous rain 140 participated in the Rangoli competition and 78 in Mehndi competition...