- Always wanted to join the Army: Gen Bipin Rawat
- Russian interference had no impact on US presidential polls: Trump
- PM Modi holds 'substantiative' talks with Iran Prez
- Arvinder Singh Lovely rejoins Congress
- CBI arrests 2 PNB officials, authorised signatory of Nirav Modi company
- Cheating case: Developer DS Kulkarni detained in Delhi
- Sex ratio at birth dips in 17 of 21 large states, Guj records 53 points fall
- I don't feel like competing with anyone: Kohli
- Poll candidates must disclose source of income: SC
- CBI approaches Interpol to locate Nirav Modi
- SC reduces TN's Cauvery water share
Syria condemns attack by US-led coalition
Syria today condemned a US-led coalition strike on pro-government forces as a "brazen attack" and said it would "not be intimidated" after the surprise assault.
US-led warplanes carried out the yesterday strike in the east of the country against a convoy of pro-government forces headed towards a remote coalition garrison near the border with Jordan.
"On Thursday at 16:30, the so-called international coalition attacked one of the Syrian Arab Army's positions on the Al-Tanf road in the Syrian Badia region, producing a number of martyrs and causing material damage," a military source told Syrian state media.
"This brazen attack by the so-called international coalition exposes the falseness of its claims to be fighting terrorism," it added.
"The Syrian Arab Army is fighting terrorism on its territory, and no party has the right to determine the course of its operations," the source said.
"The Syrian Arab Army will... Not be intimidated by the attempts of the so-called coalition to stop it from performing its sacred duties."
Syrian ally Russia also denounced the US-led strike as "unacceptable."
"Such actions that were carried out against the Syrian armed forces... This is completely unacceptable, this is a breach of Syrian sovereignty," deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov was quoted as saying by state-run RIA Novosti in Geneva.
In a statement, the US-led coalition said it had struck "pro-regime forces... That posed a threat to US and partner forces."
The coalition said the strike came after unsuccessful "Russian attempts to dissuade Syrian pro-regime movement" as well as "a coalition aircraft show of force, and the firing of warning shots."
Syrian state media gave no precise toll in the attack, but the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor, reported eight killed "most of them non-Syrian."
An array of regular and irregular forces are battling alongside the government against rebels, including Russian and Iranian soldiers, and militants from Iraq and Lebanon's Hezbollah group.
The yesterday strike comes in the context of growing tension over which forces will take on the Islamic State group in Syria's east.
President Bashar al-Assad's army is trying to prevent US-backed forces from leading that fight.
- No confirmation on death of 2 Keralities who joined terror groups:CM 08 May 2017 | PTI
- Tillerson, Lavrov discuss Syria conflict 06 May 2017 | PTI
- US-backed Syria force advances against IS in Tabqa: monitor 30 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Assad office says US strike 'foolish, irresponsible' 07 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Syria's Assad, Russia and Iran have blood on hands: Obama 17 Dec 2016 | PTI
- India abstains from voting on UNGA resolution on Syria 10 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Ban opens UN General Assembly with call to end Syria fighting 20 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Putin says Syria rebels using truce to regroup 17 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Dalai Lama urges talks with Islamic State, help for refugees 13 Sep 2016 | AP
- ISIS training 'next generation' fighters: Report 30 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Merged with ruling faction on Modi's advice: Panneerselvam 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- 21 more PNB fraud-related raids, property worth Rs 5,674 seized so far, says ED 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- India, Iran sign nine agreements, agree to stop terror forces 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Earlier Congress used to benefit from scams, now BJP does: Kejriwal 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Cut in quantum of Cauvery water disappointing: TN CM 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- 7.2-magnitude quake jolts Mexico, no casualties reported 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Russian interference had no impact on US presidential polls: Trump 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Six auto-rickshaw owners booked for fabricating documents 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi holds 'substantiative' talks with Iran Prez 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Arvinder Singh Lovely rejoins Congress 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | IANS | Jaipur
At least nine persons were killed and 18 others injured when two LPG cylinders exploded at a wedding in Beawar in Rajasthan's Ajmer district, police said on Saturday. According to police, six persons were referred to a hospital in Ajmer while 12 were referred to the district hospital in Beawar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Madhya Pradesh Government has worked with dedication in education, health, food, agriculture, irrigation and tribal welfare, said Public Relations Minister Narottam Mishra while addressing public meeting during campaigning for Kolaras by-election. Minister Mishra addressed meetings at Khatorda, Barod, Hairpur, Emloda and Toria regions...