Syria condemns attack by US-led coalition
Syria today condemned a US-led coalition strike on pro-government forces as a "brazen attack" and said it would "not be intimidated" after the surprise assault.
US-led warplanes carried out the yesterday strike in the east of the country against a convoy of pro-government forces headed towards a remote coalition garrison near the border with Jordan.
"On Thursday at 16:30, the so-called international coalition attacked one of the Syrian Arab Army's positions on the Al-Tanf road in the Syrian Badia region, producing a number of martyrs and causing material damage," a military source told Syrian state media.
"This brazen attack by the so-called international coalition exposes the falseness of its claims to be fighting terrorism," it added.
"The Syrian Arab Army is fighting terrorism on its territory, and no party has the right to determine the course of its operations," the source said.
"The Syrian Arab Army will... Not be intimidated by the attempts of the so-called coalition to stop it from performing its sacred duties."
Syrian ally Russia also denounced the US-led strike as "unacceptable."
"Such actions that were carried out against the Syrian armed forces... This is completely unacceptable, this is a breach of Syrian sovereignty," deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov was quoted as saying by state-run RIA Novosti in Geneva.
In a statement, the US-led coalition said it had struck "pro-regime forces... That posed a threat to US and partner forces."
The coalition said the strike came after unsuccessful "Russian attempts to dissuade Syrian pro-regime movement" as well as "a coalition aircraft show of force, and the firing of warning shots."
Syrian state media gave no precise toll in the attack, but the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor, reported eight killed "most of them non-Syrian."
An array of regular and irregular forces are battling alongside the government against rebels, including Russian and Iranian soldiers, and militants from Iraq and Lebanon's Hezbollah group.
The yesterday strike comes in the context of growing tension over which forces will take on the Islamic State group in Syria's east.
President Bashar al-Assad's army is trying to prevent US-backed forces from leading that fight.
- No confirmation on death of 2 Keralities who joined terror groups:CM 08 May 2017 | PTI
- Tillerson, Lavrov discuss Syria conflict 06 May 2017 | PTI
- US-backed Syria force advances against IS in Tabqa: monitor 30 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Assad office says US strike 'foolish, irresponsible' 07 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Syria's Assad, Russia and Iran have blood on hands: Obama 17 Dec 2016 | PTI
- India abstains from voting on UNGA resolution on Syria 10 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Ban opens UN General Assembly with call to end Syria fighting 20 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Putin says Syria rebels using truce to regroup 17 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Dalai Lama urges talks with Islamic State, help for refugees 13 Sep 2016 | AP
- ISIS training 'next generation' fighters: Report 30 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Steep fare hike will 'kill' Delhi Metro: Kejriwal 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- PM reviews steps taken to reduce under-nutrition 25 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Pakistan justifies Hafiz Saeed's release 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- President urges legal fraternity to provide free services to poor 25 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Egypt army launches offensive against militants after deadly mosque attack 25 Nov 2017 | PTI
- 184 killed in militant attack on Egypt mosque 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Congress wants to break Army's morale, says Sitharaman 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Indian bowlers skittle out defensive Sri Lanka for 205 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- National opposition should work together to challenge Modi 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in as Zimbabwe President 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Gautam Nagar police have nabbed a miscreant on Friday on the charge of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at Gautam Nagar on Friday. Police said that the accused Raj Sharma sexually assaulted the victim who was on her way home in the afternoon...