Syria condemns attack by US-led coalition
Syria today condemned a US-led coalition strike on pro-government forces as a "brazen attack" and said it would "not be intimidated" after the surprise assault.
US-led warplanes carried out the yesterday strike in the east of the country against a convoy of pro-government forces headed towards a remote coalition garrison near the border with Jordan.
"On Thursday at 16:30, the so-called international coalition attacked one of the Syrian Arab Army's positions on the Al-Tanf road in the Syrian Badia region, producing a number of martyrs and causing material damage," a military source told Syrian state media.
"This brazen attack by the so-called international coalition exposes the falseness of its claims to be fighting terrorism," it added.
"The Syrian Arab Army is fighting terrorism on its territory, and no party has the right to determine the course of its operations," the source said.
"The Syrian Arab Army will... Not be intimidated by the attempts of the so-called coalition to stop it from performing its sacred duties."
Syrian ally Russia also denounced the US-led strike as "unacceptable."
"Such actions that were carried out against the Syrian armed forces... This is completely unacceptable, this is a breach of Syrian sovereignty," deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov was quoted as saying by state-run RIA Novosti in Geneva.
In a statement, the US-led coalition said it had struck "pro-regime forces... That posed a threat to US and partner forces."
The coalition said the strike came after unsuccessful "Russian attempts to dissuade Syrian pro-regime movement" as well as "a coalition aircraft show of force, and the firing of warning shots."
Syrian state media gave no precise toll in the attack, but the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor, reported eight killed "most of them non-Syrian."
An array of regular and irregular forces are battling alongside the government against rebels, including Russian and Iranian soldiers, and militants from Iraq and Lebanon's Hezbollah group.
The yesterday strike comes in the context of growing tension over which forces will take on the Islamic State group in Syria's east.
President Bashar al-Assad's army is trying to prevent US-backed forces from leading that fight.
- No confirmation on death of 2 Keralities who joined terror groups:CM 08 May 2017 | PTI
- Tillerson, Lavrov discuss Syria conflict 06 May 2017 | PTI
- US-backed Syria force advances against IS in Tabqa: monitor 30 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Assad office says US strike 'foolish, irresponsible' 07 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Syria's Assad, Russia and Iran have blood on hands: Obama 17 Dec 2016 | PTI
- India abstains from voting on UNGA resolution on Syria 10 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Ban opens UN General Assembly with call to end Syria fighting 20 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Putin says Syria rebels using truce to regroup 17 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Dalai Lama urges talks with Islamic State, help for refugees 13 Sep 2016 | AP
- ISIS training 'next generation' fighters: Report 30 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Modi accuses Congress of ignoring cities 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Chidambaram rejects Jaitley's charge against Rahul Gandhi 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Kumaraswamy accuses Centre of taking unilateral decision on Cauvery panel 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- BJP will not allow Kashmir to get disintegrated from India: Shah 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India summons Pak deputy HC over denial to envoy to meet pilgrims 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 23 Air India flights delayed due to software malfunction 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- VP calls for mindset change for empowering widows 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi launches Mohanpura Irrigation project in MP 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Nepal to maintain close ties with India and China : Oli 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Calling Rahul jehadi-Maoist sympathiser is absurd: Chidambaram 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...