- HC refuses to stay framing of charges against Tejpal
- We've right to shoot down US bombers outside our airspace: N.Korea
- Any claim of declaring war on N Korea absurd: White House
- India exposes Pakistan's use of fake photo at UN; shows image of own terror victim
- Haryana Police conducts raids in Delhi for Honeypreet, Aditya Insan
Syria condemns attack by US-led coalition
Syria today condemned a US-led coalition strike on pro-government forces as a "brazen attack" and said it would "not be intimidated" after the surprise assault.
US-led warplanes carried out the yesterday strike in the east of the country against a convoy of pro-government forces headed towards a remote coalition garrison near the border with Jordan.
"On Thursday at 16:30, the so-called international coalition attacked one of the Syrian Arab Army's positions on the Al-Tanf road in the Syrian Badia region, producing a number of martyrs and causing material damage," a military source told Syrian state media.
"This brazen attack by the so-called international coalition exposes the falseness of its claims to be fighting terrorism," it added.
"The Syrian Arab Army is fighting terrorism on its territory, and no party has the right to determine the course of its operations," the source said.
"The Syrian Arab Army will... Not be intimidated by the attempts of the so-called coalition to stop it from performing its sacred duties."
Syrian ally Russia also denounced the US-led strike as "unacceptable."
"Such actions that were carried out against the Syrian armed forces... This is completely unacceptable, this is a breach of Syrian sovereignty," deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov was quoted as saying by state-run RIA Novosti in Geneva.
In a statement, the US-led coalition said it had struck "pro-regime forces... That posed a threat to US and partner forces."
The coalition said the strike came after unsuccessful "Russian attempts to dissuade Syrian pro-regime movement" as well as "a coalition aircraft show of force, and the firing of warning shots."
Syrian state media gave no precise toll in the attack, but the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor, reported eight killed "most of them non-Syrian."
An array of regular and irregular forces are battling alongside the government against rebels, including Russian and Iranian soldiers, and militants from Iraq and Lebanon's Hezbollah group.
The yesterday strike comes in the context of growing tension over which forces will take on the Islamic State group in Syria's east.
President Bashar al-Assad's army is trying to prevent US-backed forces from leading that fight.
- No confirmation on death of 2 Keralities who joined terror groups:CM 08 May 2017 | PTI
- Tillerson, Lavrov discuss Syria conflict 06 May 2017 | PTI
- US-backed Syria force advances against IS in Tabqa: monitor 30 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Assad office says US strike 'foolish, irresponsible' 07 Apr 2017 | AFP
- Syria's Assad, Russia and Iran have blood on hands: Obama 17 Dec 2016 | PTI
- India abstains from voting on UNGA resolution on Syria 10 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Ban opens UN General Assembly with call to end Syria fighting 20 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Putin says Syria rebels using truce to regroup 17 Sep 2016 | AFP
- Dalai Lama urges talks with Islamic State, help for refugees 13 Sep 2016 | AP
- ISIS training 'next generation' fighters: Report 30 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Rajnath appeals to GJM to withdraw strike; MHA to call meet 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- After many years, we have a stable govt at Centre: Chandrababu 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Indian Army pushes back Pakistani intruders in J&K 26 Sep 2017 | IANS
- CISF security at Mumbai Airport rated best in world 26 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Judicial probe ordered into BHU violence 26 Sep 2017 | PTI
- India won't deploy troops in Afghanistan 26 Sep 2017 | IANS
- HC refuses to stay framing of charges against Tejpal 26 Sep 2017 | IANS
- Judge who ordered CBI probe in Ishrat Jahan case quits 26 Sep 2017 | IANS
- We've right to shoot down US bombers outside our airspace: N.Korea 26 Sep 2017 | IANS
- India exposes Pakistan's use of fake photo at UN; shows image of own terror victim 26 Sep 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
24 Sep 2017 | AFP | Berlin
Chancellor Angela Merkel and her rival Martin Schulz rallied voters on the eve of Sunday’s vote, urging Germans to shun the first hard-right party expected to enter parliament in force since the end of World War II. Merkel, the clear frontrunner after 12 years in power with a double-digit lead, also told her conservative base not to get complacent and to cast their ballots, rousing them with a folksy call to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Whether it is State government or Centre, they are looting people to fill treasury by increasing petrol and diesel prices and making holes in the pockets of common man, alleged Leader of Opposition in the State assembly Ajay Singh. Singh has raised demand of waiver of VAT and tax on petrol and diesel...