Teen Murti Chowk to be formally renamed after Israeli city
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu will today attend a solemn ceremony at the Teen Murti Memorial here to mark the formal renaming of Teen Murti Chowk as Teen Murti Haifa Chowk.
The two leaders will also lay a wreath and sign the visitor's book at the memorial, official sources said.
Netanyahu is arriving in India on a six-day visit today.
The three bronze statues at Teen Murti represent the Hyderabad, Jodhpur and Mysore Lancers who were part of the 15 Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade.
The brigade carried out the victorious assault on the fortified city of Haifa on September 23, 1918, during World War I.
There are various accounts of this battle - all narrate the valour with which the lancers undertook the assault on the garrisoned city protected by a joint force of Ottomans, Germany and Austria-Hungary. The liberation of Haifa cleared a supply route for the Allies to the city through the sea.
Forty-four Indian soldiers made the ultimate sacrifice during the liberation of the city in World War I.
Till date, the 61 Cavalry celebrates September 23 as its Raising Day or "Haifa Day."
- PM to lead Yoga Day celebrations in Uttarakhand 20 Jun 2018 | IANS
- CEA Arvind Subramanian to leave finance ministry, return to US: Jaitley 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Delhi-bound flight suffers bird hit 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Sitharaman meets martyred jawan's family in Poonch 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Farmers' income increasing, says Modi 20 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Amarnath Yatra: Security forces asked to maintain synergy 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Trump aggressively defends border family separation 20 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Anukreethy Vas is Femina Miss India World 2018 20 Jun 2018 | IANS
- J&K placed under Governor's Rule after President's approval 20 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Terrorists continued with their activities during Ramzan truce: Rawat 20 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...