Teen Murti Chowk to be formally renamed after Israeli city
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu will today attend a solemn ceremony at the Teen Murti Memorial here to mark the formal renaming of Teen Murti Chowk as Teen Murti Haifa Chowk.
The two leaders will also lay a wreath and sign the visitor's book at the memorial, official sources said.
Netanyahu is arriving in India on a six-day visit today.
The three bronze statues at Teen Murti represent the Hyderabad, Jodhpur and Mysore Lancers who were part of the 15 Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade.
The brigade carried out the victorious assault on the fortified city of Haifa on September 23, 1918, during World War I.
There are various accounts of this battle - all narrate the valour with which the lancers undertook the assault on the garrisoned city protected by a joint force of Ottomans, Germany and Austria-Hungary. The liberation of Haifa cleared a supply route for the Allies to the city through the sea.
Forty-four Indian soldiers made the ultimate sacrifice during the liberation of the city in World War I.
Till date, the 61 Cavalry celebrates September 23 as its Raising Day or "Haifa Day."
- Unrealistic to expect GST to settle down in less than 10 years: Bibek Debroy 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- PILs for Rohingyas bid to change India's demography: Centre to SC 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- KCR, Mamata pitch for Federal Front 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- India summons Pakistan Deputy HC over ceasefire violations, lodges strong protest 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- BJP trying to suppress my voice: Chandrababu Naidu 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Cong govt in Karna to recommend religious minority tag to Lingayat/ Veerashaivas 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Aditynath government rings in first year in power with music and dance 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Kejriwal apologizes to Gadkari to end defamation case 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- SC notice to dentist couple in Aarushi murder case 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Court convicts Lalu Prasad in 4th case of fodder scam 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Mar 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
Police investigation in the case of a security guard of district cooperative bank in Champawat shot dead two of his colleagues following an altercation on March 16 revealed that the guard Dinesh Bora contracted through a local security agency was not properly trained. Bora had reportedly shot dead the bank cashier Lalit Bisht and peon Rajesh Verma at the bank in Khetikhan...