Trump: Paris attack to have 'big effect' on presidential poll
US President Donald Trump today said a deadly attack in Paris claimed by the Islamic State group "will have a big effect" on France's upcoming presidential vote.
"Another terrorist attack in Paris. The people of France will not take much more of this. Will have a big effect on presidential election!" he said, breaking a silence over Sunday's vote in a tweet.
Trump tweeted hours after a gunman shot dead a policeman and wounded two others on the world-famous Champs Elysees boulevard.
The attack rocked France's presidential race Friday with just days to go before one of the closest races in recent memory.
Bloodshed had long been feared ahead of Sunday's first round of voting after a string of jihadist atrocities since 2015, and the shooting on the world-renowned boulevard forced security to the top of the agenda in the campaign.
France is in a state of emergency and at its highest possible level of alert since a string of terror attacks that began in 2015, which have killed more than 230 people.
Three of the four presidential frontrunners -- Le Pen, centrist Emmanuel Macron and conservative Francois Fillon -- called off campaign events planned for Friday in the wake of the attack.
The vote is being closely watched as a pivotal event amid a global swing to the right, including Trump's election in November and Britain's decision to exit the European Union last summer, a move the US president has applauded.
Macron, a 39-year-old moderate, is presenting himself as a guarantor of the EU, promising reform and appealing to pro- Europe sentiment among the French electorate.
Le Pen, widely seen as taking the hardest line on security, has called for France to "immediately" take back control of its own borders from the European Union and deport all foreigners on a terror watchlist.
Barack Obama spoke to Macron yesterday about the "important upcoming presidential election in France," a spokesman for the former US president said.
- Trump administration appeals latest ruling blocking travel ban 31 Mar 2017 | AFP
- Trump goes after media at Florida rally 19 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Media 'enemy of the American people': Trump 18 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Trump warns US firms outsourcing jobs abroad 02 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Trump praises Clinton as 'very strong and smart' 13 Nov 2016 | PTI
- Former 'Apprentice' contestant accuses Trump of groping 15 Oct 2016 | PTI
- India ratifies historic Paris climate deal at UN 02 Oct 2016 | PTI
- China 'worst abuser', 'currency manipulator': Trump 25 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Leak of documents relating to Scorpene submarines serious matter: DCNS 24 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Trump accuses Obama of being the 'founder of ISIS' 11 Aug 2016 | AP
- Naveen Jindal summoned as accused in fresh coal scam case 23 May 2017 | PTI
- Lokpal: Bill can be brought in monsoon session, says Minister 23 May 2017 | PTI
- I am a "son of India", says Dalai Lama 23 May 2017 | PTI
- Pak Army dismisses Indian claim of 'assault' on its post 23 May 2017 | PTI
- IAF Sukhoi jet goes missing near China border 23 May 2017 | IANS
- Army says Pakistan military posts damaged in recent 'punitive' assault 23 May 2017 | IANS
- Ex-RJD MP gets life term in murder case of MLA 23 May 2017 | IANS
- Trump proposes to convert US' grant to Pakistan into loan 23 May 2017 | PTI
- Pakistan asks ICJ for early hearing in Jadhav case: Report 23 May 2017 | PTI
- HC seeks Kejriwal's reply on fresh defamation suit by Jaitley 23 May 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...