- Poll verdict a lesson to Congress for criticising Gujarat model: Adityanath
- When celebrations turned sombre at Congress office
- Modi flashes victory sign as BJP close to winning Gujarat, Himachal
- Poll results approval of Modi govt's policies: Rajnath Singh
- 12 killed in fire at a shop in Mumbai
- BJP poised to take power in Himachal
- After early hiccups, BJP set to retain power in Gujarat
- Cong to build alternative narrative based on fairness,jobs for all: Chidambaram
- AIADMK battles war within; actors eye political vacuum in TN
- DRDO has key role in 'Make in India' programme: Sitharaman
- BJP supporters scuttle programme in memory of Nirbhaya: AAP
Trump: Paris attack to have 'big effect' on presidential poll
US President Donald Trump today said a deadly attack in Paris claimed by the Islamic State group "will have a big effect" on France's upcoming presidential vote.
"Another terrorist attack in Paris. The people of France will not take much more of this. Will have a big effect on presidential election!" he said, breaking a silence over Sunday's vote in a tweet.
Trump tweeted hours after a gunman shot dead a policeman and wounded two others on the world-famous Champs Elysees boulevard.
The attack rocked France's presidential race Friday with just days to go before one of the closest races in recent memory.
Bloodshed had long been feared ahead of Sunday's first round of voting after a string of jihadist atrocities since 2015, and the shooting on the world-renowned boulevard forced security to the top of the agenda in the campaign.
France is in a state of emergency and at its highest possible level of alert since a string of terror attacks that began in 2015, which have killed more than 230 people.
Three of the four presidential frontrunners -- Le Pen, centrist Emmanuel Macron and conservative Francois Fillon -- called off campaign events planned for Friday in the wake of the attack.
The vote is being closely watched as a pivotal event amid a global swing to the right, including Trump's election in November and Britain's decision to exit the European Union last summer, a move the US president has applauded.
Macron, a 39-year-old moderate, is presenting himself as a guarantor of the EU, promising reform and appealing to pro- Europe sentiment among the French electorate.
Le Pen, widely seen as taking the hardest line on security, has called for France to "immediately" take back control of its own borders from the European Union and deport all foreigners on a terror watchlist.
Barack Obama spoke to Macron yesterday about the "important upcoming presidential election in France," a spokesman for the former US president said.
- Trump administration appeals latest ruling blocking travel ban 31 Mar 2017 | AFP
- Trump goes after media at Florida rally 19 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Media 'enemy of the American people': Trump 18 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Trump warns US firms outsourcing jobs abroad 02 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Trump praises Clinton as 'very strong and smart' 13 Nov 2016 | PTI
- Former 'Apprentice' contestant accuses Trump of groping 15 Oct 2016 | PTI
- India ratifies historic Paris climate deal at UN 02 Oct 2016 | PTI
- China 'worst abuser', 'currency manipulator': Trump 25 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Leak of documents relating to Scorpene submarines serious matter: DCNS 24 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Trump accuses Obama of being the 'founder of ISIS' 11 Aug 2016 | AP
- BJP will form govt in Gujarat, Himachal: Amit Shah 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Development has won, says Modi on assembly election results 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- EVMs can be hacked, as margin between winner and loser very less: Hardik Patel 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Congress should take all parties along to usher change in 2019: Akhilesh 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Poll verdict a lesson to Congress for criticising Gujarat model: Adityanath 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- When celebrations turned sombre at Congress office 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Cong accepts people's verdict, fought anger with dignity: Rahul 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Sena praises Rahul Gandhi; lauds him for Gujarat 'battle' 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Modi flashes victory sign as BJP close to winning Gujarat, Himachal 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Poll results approval of Modi govt's policies: Rajnath Singh 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The State Government has recommended to the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) to stop entry of devotees into the sanctum sanctorum (Garvagriha) of the shrine. In a letter to the SJTA, the Government has asked for restrictions on darshan of the deities by devotees, including VIPs...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Police are investigating different possibilities in the case of the two men found dead at the Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan on Friday. The bodies of Kamal Ram, a native of Rudraprayag and Sonu Kumar of Dehradun were found at Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan near Haridwar Bypass...