Trump: Paris attack to have 'big effect' on presidential poll
US President Donald Trump today said a deadly attack in Paris claimed by the Islamic State group "will have a big effect" on France's upcoming presidential vote.
"Another terrorist attack in Paris. The people of France will not take much more of this. Will have a big effect on presidential election!" he said, breaking a silence over Sunday's vote in a tweet.
Trump tweeted hours after a gunman shot dead a policeman and wounded two others on the world-famous Champs Elysees boulevard.
The attack rocked France's presidential race Friday with just days to go before one of the closest races in recent memory.
Bloodshed had long been feared ahead of Sunday's first round of voting after a string of jihadist atrocities since 2015, and the shooting on the world-renowned boulevard forced security to the top of the agenda in the campaign.
France is in a state of emergency and at its highest possible level of alert since a string of terror attacks that began in 2015, which have killed more than 230 people.
Three of the four presidential frontrunners -- Le Pen, centrist Emmanuel Macron and conservative Francois Fillon -- called off campaign events planned for Friday in the wake of the attack.
The vote is being closely watched as a pivotal event amid a global swing to the right, including Trump's election in November and Britain's decision to exit the European Union last summer, a move the US president has applauded.
Macron, a 39-year-old moderate, is presenting himself as a guarantor of the EU, promising reform and appealing to pro- Europe sentiment among the French electorate.
Le Pen, widely seen as taking the hardest line on security, has called for France to "immediately" take back control of its own borders from the European Union and deport all foreigners on a terror watchlist.
Barack Obama spoke to Macron yesterday about the "important upcoming presidential election in France," a spokesman for the former US president said.
- Trump administration appeals latest ruling blocking travel ban 31 Mar 2017 | AFP
- Trump goes after media at Florida rally 19 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Media 'enemy of the American people': Trump 18 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Trump warns US firms outsourcing jobs abroad 02 Dec 2016 | IANS
- Trump praises Clinton as 'very strong and smart' 13 Nov 2016 | PTI
- Former 'Apprentice' contestant accuses Trump of groping 15 Oct 2016 | PTI
- India ratifies historic Paris climate deal at UN 02 Oct 2016 | PTI
- China 'worst abuser', 'currency manipulator': Trump 25 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Leak of documents relating to Scorpene submarines serious matter: DCNS 24 Aug 2016 | PTI
- Trump accuses Obama of being the 'founder of ISIS' 11 Aug 2016 | AP
- Trump, First Lady to welcome Modi at the White House 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Why is Centre hurrying to introduce GST, asks Yechury 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- BCCI SGM: 'Committee' to be formed to implement SC order 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Sino-Indian troops' scuffle leads to tension, bunker damage 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Logic of Indo-US strategic relations 'incontrovertible': Modi 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- 'Act of God' blamed for cable car accident that killed seven 26 Jun 2017 | IANS
- In talks with India over Mansarovar pilgrimage issue: China 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Khandwali mourns Junaid, wears black bands during Eid namaz 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Give full freedom to Army to deal with situation in JK: Mulayam 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- 'India-Afghanistan air corridor reflects New Delhi's stubborn thinking' 26 Jun 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 Jun 2017 | MUKESH RANJANA | Ranchi
Baffled with regular incidents of chain, wallet and mobile snatching in the State Capital, Ranchi police will now work on a multi-pronged strategy after conducting thorough mapping of the areas, targets, timing, modus operandi etc. of the incidents taking place in the recent days and ensure that the culprits are caught immediately after committing the crime...