Trump says willing to speak to Kim Jong-un
US President Donald Trump has said that he was willing to speak to North Korean' Kim Jong-un.
Asked at a news conference on Saturday at Camp David (Trump's country retreat in Maryland) whether he would be interested in speaking to Kim, the President said that he always believed in dialogue, reports Efe news.
"Our stance, you know what it is. We're very firm," Trump said. "But I would be... absolutely, I would do that (speak with Kim). No problem with that, at all."
But when asked whether he would sit down to negotiate with the North Korean leader with no prerequisites, Trump said "that's not what I said, at all".
"Look, right now they're talking Olympics," Trump said of North Korea and South Korea over the upcoming Pyongchang Winter Olympics.
"It's a start. It's a big start. If I weren't involved they wouldn't be talking about Olympics right now. They'd be doing no talking or it would be much more serious.
"He (Kim) knows I'm not messing around. I'm not messing around. Not even a little bit. Not even 1 per cent. He understands that."
Trump also expressed his desire that North Korean athletes participate in the Winter Olympics slated to be held from February 9 to 25, and that the neighbouring countries continue to hold talks after the Games.
On Saturday, representatives of the two Asian nations held initial talks aimed paving the way for a scheduled high-level meeting on January 9, the first between the two countries in more than two years.
- Rahul attacks PM over non-construction of super speciality hospital in Odisha 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Army chief reviews security situation along LoC 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi accuses Congress of ignoring cities 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Chidambaram rejects Jaitley's charge against Rahul Gandhi 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Kumaraswamy accuses Centre of taking unilateral decision on Cauvery panel 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- BJP will not allow Kashmir to get disintegrated from India: Shah 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India summons Pak deputy HC over denial to envoy to meet pilgrims 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 23 Air India flights delayed due to software malfunction 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- VP calls for mindset change for empowering widows 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi launches Mohanpura Irrigation project in MP 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...