Trump warns of military action against Venezuela
US President Donald Trump today warned of a military action against Venezuela in response to its president Nicolas Maduro's power grab, describing the situation in the country as a "very dangerous mess".
Protests rocked the streets of Caracas and other Venezuelan cities after a July 30 vote that allowed Maduro to replace the opposition-dominated National Assembly with a new 545-member Constituent Assembly filled with his supporters.
The Trump administration has called Maduro a "dictator" and issued sanctions against him and more than two dozen other former and current officials, accusing Maduro's government of violating human rights and undermining the country's democracy.
"We have many options for Venezuela. And by the way, I'm not going to rule out a military option. We have many options for Venezuela," Trump said after a meeting with his Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley and National Security Advisor H R McMaster.
"This (Venezuela) is our neighbour. You know, we're all over the world. And we have troops all over the world in places that are very, very far away. Venezuela is not very far away. And the people are suffering. And they're dying. We have many options for Venezuela, including a possible military option if necessary," Trump said.
Venezuelan Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino described Trump's remarks as an "act of craziness" and "supreme extremism".
Earleir in a statement, the White House said Trump refused a phone call from Maduro.
"Since the start of this Administration, President Trump has asked that Maduro respect Venezuela’s constitution, hold free and fair elections, release political prisoners, cease all human rights violations, and stop oppressing Venezuela’s great people," White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said.
"The United States stands with the people of Venezuela in the face of their continued oppression by the Maduro regime. President Trump will gladly speak with the leader of Venezuela as soon as democracy is restored in that country," Sanders said.
Yesterday, Pentagon spokesman Eric Pahon said the Defence Department has not been ordered to make any military movements related to Venezuela -- but is prepared for that if need be.
- 6 coaches of Utkal Express derails in UP, 20 injured 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Knife attacker in Russian city wounds 8, shot by police 19 Aug 2017 | AFP
- NPA resolution: RBI chief calls for recapitalisation of banks 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Positive result on merger in a day or two: Panneerselvam 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Still judging current mechanism for resolving bad debts: Jaitley 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Iraqi forces ready for next battle against IS extremists: US 19 Aug 2017 | AP
- Security forces launch search operation in Shopian 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Bannon returns to Breitbart after his White House ouster 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Adityanath targets Rahul, says Gorakhpur not a 'picnic spot' 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Nitish Kumar-led JD-U faction joins NDA 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
The Geological Survey of India will carry out assessment of Limestone deposits In Laladhurwa-Jognipali Block of Raigarh district in Chhattisgarh. GSI last year took up assessment of limestone deposits at Birutola-Nawapara-Sohagpur Blocks of Kabirdham district in Chhattisgarh, officials stated...