- S Africa widens hunt for Zuma allies to India, China
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights
- Mentally challenged person shot dead near J&K Air Force station
- FIR against Rotomac promoter for Rs 800 cr bank fraud: CBI
- PNB fraud fallout: CBI seals Brady House Branch in Mumbai
UAV crossed over to China after developing tech snag: India
India today said an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) had "crossed over" the border with China in the Sikkim sector after losing contact with the ground control due to some technical problem.
The defence ministry said the Indian border security personnel, as per standard protocol, immediately alerted their Chinese counterparts to locate the UAV and they later reverted with its location.
In Beijing, the Chinese defence ministry said the Indian drone recently "intruded" into its airspace and crashed in the Sikkim sector, prompting it to lodge a diplomatic protest with India over the violation of China's territorial sovereignty.
The defence ministry here said the exact cause of the incident is under investigation.
Sources said the UAV belonged to the Indian Army.
The incident comes to light days before Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi's visit here to attend the Russia-India-China trilateral meeting.
"An Indian UAV which was on a regular training mission inside the Indian territory lost contact with the ground control due to some technical problem and crossed over (to) the LAC in the Sikkim Sector," the defence ministry said in a statement.
It further said, "As per standard protocol, the Indian border security personnel immediately alerted their Chinese counterparts to locate the UAV. In response, the Chinese side reverted with the location details of the UAV."
It did not clarify when the incident happened.
"The matter is being dealt with in accordance with the established protocols through institutional mechanisms to deal with situations along the India- China border areas," it said.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said the country has lodged a diplomatic protest with India over the drone violating Chinese sovereignty.
The armies of India and China were engaged in a 73-day- long standoff in Dokalam after Indian troops stopped Chinese soldiers from building a key road in the area. The face-off had ended on August 28. Dokalam is located in the Sikkim section of the India-China border.
- News about Indian banks taking hit of $3 bn is false: Finance Ministry 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Documents show larger conspiracy behind Gandhi's murder, SC told 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Karnataka legislator's son surrenders in assault case 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Irrespective of caste, creed, sex, religion India is one: Naidu 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Mentally challenged person shot dead near J&K Air Force station 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- CBI questions, books Rotomac directors as loan default is seen to touch Rs 3,695 cr 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- PNB fraud fallout: CBI seals Brady House Branch in Mumbai 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Feb 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | Bokaro
A police team of Bokaro Thermal police station headed by inspector cum officer-in charge Parmeshwar Leyangi on Sunday morning conducted raids at Ganjutola in Armo forest area here and seized approx 2.5 tonnes of illegal coal along with their 4 motorcycles and 5 cycles,said Bokaro SP Kartik S...