- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal'
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years
- Irani hits back at Rahul Gandhi for tweet on Jay Shah
UN chief condemns North Korea over missile launch
"This action is in violation of Security Council resolutions and a threat to peace and security in the region," Guterres said in a statement issued by his spokesman.
The UN chief called on North Korea "to ensure full compliance with its international obligations and return to the path of denuclearization."
North Korea yesterday carried out its latest test of a ballistic missile, which Pyongyang said was capable of carrying a "heavy nuclear warhead."
Under UN resolutions, North Korea is barred from developing nuclear and missile technology.
The UN Security Council was weighing its response to the latest launch, with diplomats saying that the United States was pushing for a toughly-worded statement of condemnation.
A closed-door emergency Council session was set for tomorrow.
The council adopted two sanctions resolutions last year to ramp up pressure on Pyongyang and deny leader Kim Jong-Un the hard currency needed to fund his military programs.
In all, six sets of sanctions have been imposed on North Korea since it first tested an atomic device in 2006.
Six-party talks on denuclearization of the Korean peninsula have been dormant since 2009 when North Korea walked out of the process that involved China, Russia, the United States, South Korea and Japan.
- US calls for stronger sanctions against N Korea 14 May 2017 | PTI
- N Korea accuses CIA of plot to assassinate Kim Jong-Un 05 May 2017 | AFP
- After US warns N.Korea 'military action' on table, Pyongyang tests missile 29 Apr 2017 | IANS
- North Korea rolls out missiles, other weaponry at parade 15 Apr 2017 | AP
- N Korea fires ballistic missile: Seoul defence ministry 12 Feb 2017 | AFP
- US '100 pc' behind Japan after N Korea missile launch: Trump 12 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Kashmir is core dispute between India and Pakistan: Sharif 05 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Pak conducts 1st flight test of N-capable 'Ababeel' missile 24 Jan 2017 | PTI
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon bids colleagues, staff farewell 31 Dec 2016 | AP
- Obama meets UN Secretary-General-designate Antonio Guterres 03 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Man with knife attacks 4 people in Munich; arrest made 21 Oct 2017 | AP
- Pak envoy meets with Swaraj: FO 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Linking bank accounts with Aadhaar mandatory, it is government's decision: RBI 21 Oct 2017 | IANS
- RSS worker gunned down, brother injured in UP 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open 21 Oct 2017 | Hussain
- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal' 21 Oct 2017 | IANS
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Restrictions in Srinagar after strike call by separatists 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Oct 2017 | PTI | New Delhi
The Sharad Yadav faction of the Janata Dal (United) Party on Saturday announced election to party posts on March 11 and released a list of interim office-bearers, including Chhotubhai Vasava as working president and Ali Anwar as one of the vice-presidents. Yadav also released a list of presidents of party units in states at a press briefing...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...