- P V Sindhu enters semifinals of All England Championship.
- Centre tells SC it will not damage Ram Sethu for shipping channel project
- Andhra CM targets PMO, alleges conspiracy
- 'TDP's exit signals opportunity for BJP to grow in Andhra'
- Bhagwant Mann resigns as AAP Punjab chief
- TDP quits NDA; to move no-confidence motion
UN chief condemns North Korea over missile launch
"This action is in violation of Security Council resolutions and a threat to peace and security in the region," Guterres said in a statement issued by his spokesman.
The UN chief called on North Korea "to ensure full compliance with its international obligations and return to the path of denuclearization."
North Korea yesterday carried out its latest test of a ballistic missile, which Pyongyang said was capable of carrying a "heavy nuclear warhead."
Under UN resolutions, North Korea is barred from developing nuclear and missile technology.
The UN Security Council was weighing its response to the latest launch, with diplomats saying that the United States was pushing for a toughly-worded statement of condemnation.
A closed-door emergency Council session was set for tomorrow.
The council adopted two sanctions resolutions last year to ramp up pressure on Pyongyang and deny leader Kim Jong-Un the hard currency needed to fund his military programs.
In all, six sets of sanctions have been imposed on North Korea since it first tested an atomic device in 2006.
Six-party talks on denuclearization of the Korean peninsula have been dormant since 2009 when North Korea walked out of the process that involved China, Russia, the United States, South Korea and Japan.
- US calls for stronger sanctions against N Korea 14 May 2017 | PTI
- N Korea accuses CIA of plot to assassinate Kim Jong-Un 05 May 2017 | AFP
- After US warns N.Korea 'military action' on table, Pyongyang tests missile 29 Apr 2017 | IANS
- North Korea rolls out missiles, other weaponry at parade 15 Apr 2017 | AP
- N Korea fires ballistic missile: Seoul defence ministry 12 Feb 2017 | AFP
- US '100 pc' behind Japan after N Korea missile launch: Trump 12 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Kashmir is core dispute between India and Pakistan: Sharif 05 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Pak conducts 1st flight test of N-capable 'Ababeel' missile 24 Jan 2017 | PTI
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon bids colleagues, staff farewell 31 Dec 2016 | AP
- Obama meets UN Secretary-General-designate Antonio Guterres 03 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Won't mind crossing border to protect Kashmir: Rajnath 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Trade a big friction in India-US ties: WH 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Sonia targets Modi, accuses him of making hollow promises 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Russia to expel 23 British diplomats: foreign ministry 17 Mar 2018 | AFP
- EC should revert to use of paper ballot over EVMs: Congress 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Pak to skip WTO meet in New Delhi 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Cong set to roll out road map for halting BJP's juggernaut ahead of 2019 polls 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BJP spreading anger, hatred: Rahul 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Farm income to double by 2022: Modi 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Mass arrests in Maldives as activists defy emergency 17 Mar 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
11 Mar 2018 | PTI | Beijing
An elderly woman in China on Saturday vandalised the stall of a fortune teller who wrongly predicted her death, according to a media report. The fortune-teller told the 70-year-old womanin Mianyang in southwestern Sichuan province in March last year that she would not live to see 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the State Assembly Ajay Singh and Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) president Arun Yadav on Friday called on Chief Election Commissioner OP Rawat and urged him to get investigated the matter related to large scale irregularities in the electoral rolls in Madhya Pradesh. The two requested the CEC to get the matter investigated before the assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh, scheduled in November, 2018...