UN chief condemns North Korea over missile launch
"This action is in violation of Security Council resolutions and a threat to peace and security in the region," Guterres said in a statement issued by his spokesman.
The UN chief called on North Korea "to ensure full compliance with its international obligations and return to the path of denuclearization."
North Korea yesterday carried out its latest test of a ballistic missile, which Pyongyang said was capable of carrying a "heavy nuclear warhead."
Under UN resolutions, North Korea is barred from developing nuclear and missile technology.
The UN Security Council was weighing its response to the latest launch, with diplomats saying that the United States was pushing for a toughly-worded statement of condemnation.
A closed-door emergency Council session was set for tomorrow.
The council adopted two sanctions resolutions last year to ramp up pressure on Pyongyang and deny leader Kim Jong-Un the hard currency needed to fund his military programs.
In all, six sets of sanctions have been imposed on North Korea since it first tested an atomic device in 2006.
Six-party talks on denuclearization of the Korean peninsula have been dormant since 2009 when North Korea walked out of the process that involved China, Russia, the United States, South Korea and Japan.
- US calls for stronger sanctions against N Korea 14 May 2017 | PTI
- N Korea accuses CIA of plot to assassinate Kim Jong-Un 05 May 2017 | AFP
- After US warns N.Korea 'military action' on table, Pyongyang tests missile 29 Apr 2017 | IANS
- North Korea rolls out missiles, other weaponry at parade 15 Apr 2017 | AP
- N Korea fires ballistic missile: Seoul defence ministry 12 Feb 2017 | AFP
- US '100 pc' behind Japan after N Korea missile launch: Trump 12 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Kashmir is core dispute between India and Pakistan: Sharif 05 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Pak conducts 1st flight test of N-capable 'Ababeel' missile 24 Jan 2017 | PTI
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon bids colleagues, staff farewell 31 Dec 2016 | AP
- Obama meets UN Secretary-General-designate Antonio Guterres 03 Dec 2016 | PTI
- Pak 'processing' visa applications of Jadhav's wife, mother 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- India win toss, opt to bowl 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Cong to build alternative narrative based on fairness,jobs for all: Chidambaram 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Protests over driver's death in J&K Army ambush 17 Dec 2017 | IANS
- AIADMK battles war within; actors eye political vacuum in TN 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- DRDO has key role in 'Make in India' programme: Sitharaman 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- BJP supporters scuttle programme in memory of Nirbhaya: AAP 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- On 'Nirbhaya' anniversary, Mamata calls for safe society 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- PM hails soldiers who participated in 1971 Indo-Pak war 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Politics being used to crush people; Congress will defeat politics of hate: Rahul Gandhi 16 Dec 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | Allahabad
Terming delay in justice as injustice, President of India Ram Nath Kovind on Saturday said that adjournment of cases should be avoided and it should be given only when no alternative was available. While emphasising the need for easy and cheap justice, the President said that justice, as far as possible, should be given in the local language so that the litigant could understand it easily and in a much better...