UN chief condemns North Korea over missile launch
"This action is in violation of Security Council resolutions and a threat to peace and security in the region," Guterres said in a statement issued by his spokesman.
The UN chief called on North Korea "to ensure full compliance with its international obligations and return to the path of denuclearization."
North Korea yesterday carried out its latest test of a ballistic missile, which Pyongyang said was capable of carrying a "heavy nuclear warhead."
Under UN resolutions, North Korea is barred from developing nuclear and missile technology.
The UN Security Council was weighing its response to the latest launch, with diplomats saying that the United States was pushing for a toughly-worded statement of condemnation.
A closed-door emergency Council session was set for tomorrow.
The council adopted two sanctions resolutions last year to ramp up pressure on Pyongyang and deny leader Kim Jong-Un the hard currency needed to fund his military programs.
In all, six sets of sanctions have been imposed on North Korea since it first tested an atomic device in 2006.
Six-party talks on denuclearization of the Korean peninsula have been dormant since 2009 when North Korea walked out of the process that involved China, Russia, the United States, South Korea and Japan.
- US calls for stronger sanctions against N Korea 14 May 2017 | PTI
- N Korea accuses CIA of plot to assassinate Kim Jong-Un 05 May 2017 | AFP
- After US warns N.Korea 'military action' on table, Pyongyang tests missile 29 Apr 2017 | IANS
- North Korea rolls out missiles, other weaponry at parade 15 Apr 2017 | AP
- N Korea fires ballistic missile: Seoul defence ministry 12 Feb 2017 | AFP
- US '100 pc' behind Japan after N Korea missile launch: Trump 12 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Kashmir is core dispute between India and Pakistan: Sharif 05 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Pak conducts 1st flight test of N-capable 'Ababeel' missile 24 Jan 2017 | PTI
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon bids colleagues, staff farewell 31 Dec 2016 | AP
- Obama meets UN Secretary-General-designate Antonio Guterres 03 Dec 2016 | PTI
- US designates Hizbul Mujahideen as foreign terrorist group 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Violations on Blue Whale will be dealt with strictly: Minister 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Modi govt's J&K policy has created space for Pak to misbehave: Rahul 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Amid Doklam row, India, China discuss border peace after Ladakh scuffle 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- People living in fear, will fight to save composite culture: Sharad Yadav 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Chinese side requests flag meeting after Ladakh skirmish 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- 1984 riots: SC forms body to examine SIT decision to close 199 cases 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Unaware of scuffle between PLA, Indian troops in Ladakh: China 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi inaugurates Indira Canteens in Bengaluru 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- SC orders NIA probe into Kerala girl's conversion, marriage 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
On the occasion of 71st Independence Day, a delegation from 10 nations of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) led by Ram Madhav (Director, India Foundation) visited Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya. The Independence Day celebrations commenced with hosting of the national flag by Ram Madhav and Prof Sarit Kumar Chaudhuri (Director, IGRMS) followed by National Anthem...