Uphaar case: Gopal Ansal surrenders in Tihar jail
Gopal Ansal surrendered today before Tihar jail authorities to undergo one-year jail term in the 1997 Uphaar fire tragedy case after the Supreme Court refused to grant him more time.
A bench comprising Chief Justice J S Khehar and Justices D Y Chandrachud and S K Kaul rejected the plea moved by the real estate baron seeking more time to surrender on the ground that he has moved a mercy plea before the President, and had asked him to surrender by this evening.
"Ansal surrendered around 5-5.30 PM. He is currently lodged in the hospital at Jail No. 3 as he complained of some health issues," said a jail official.
The bench said, "Sorry, we can't," when senior advocate Ram Jethmalani mentioned the matter and sought more time, telling the court that they have already approached the President with their mercy plea.
The apex court also rejected the plea from the senior advocate seeking a direction for speedy disposal of his mercy plea, pending before the President, saying that it cannot interfere in it as it is an exclusive jurisdiction of the President.
The apex court, on March 9, had dismissed Ansal's petition for parity with his elder brother Sushil Ansal, who was awarded jail term already undergone by him considering his "age-related complications", and directed him to surrender by today to serve the prison term.
69-year-old Gopal Ansal was in jail earlier for around four-and-a-half-month in connection with the case relating to the June 13, 1997 fire tragedy in which 59 persons had died in Uphaar cinema during the screening of Hindi movie 'Border'.
Over 100 people were injured in the subsequent stampede.
A bench headed by Justice Gogoi, in a 2:1 majority verdict on February 9, had granted relief to 76-year-old Sushil Ansal considering age-related complications by awarding him the jail term already undergone and had asked Gopal to surrender in four weeks to serve the remaining jail term.
Gopal had thereafter approached the apex court seeking modification of its order on the grounds of parity, saying he was 69-year-old and would suffer irreparable damage to his health if sent to prison.
In its February 9 judgement, the apex court had upheld the fine of Rs 30 crore each imposed on both the convicts and said it should be utilised for setting up a trauma centre.
Earlier, a two-judge bench of the apex court had on March 5, 2014 held Sushil and Gopal Ansal guilty, but differed on the quantum of sentence to be awarded to them after which the matter was heard by a three-judge bench.
The Delhi High Court had on December 19, 2008 awarded one-year jail term to both Sushil and Gopal Ansal in the case while reducing the two-year sentence imposed on them by the trial court.
- SC rejects Gopal Ansal's plea, asks him to surrender on Mar 20 09 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Shahabuddin in Patna's Beur jail enroute to Tihar 18 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Court dismisses AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya's bail 27 Jun 2016 | PTI
- Chhota Shakeel's plot to kill Rajan foiled, 4 arrested: police 10 Jun 2016 | PTI
- Rajan faces death threat from Chhota Shakeel while in Tihar 01 May 2016 | PTI
- Kanhaiya walks out of Tihar on bail 03 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Uphaar case: SC rejects Neelam Krishnamoorthy's plea 20 Nov 2015 | PTI
- US destroyer sails near South China Sea island 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Fourth fodder case: Lalu sentenced to 7 years each on two counts 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Two militants killed in J&K gunfight 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- ED attaches Nirav Modi's properties worth Rs 25 cr 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- BJP at 69, Congress at 50 in Rajya Sabha after polls 24 Mar 2018 | PTI
- French supermarket attack: Police 'hero' dies of wounds 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Musk deletes SpaceX, Tesla Facebook pages, Sonos withdraws ads 24 Mar 2018 | IANS
- BCCI clears Shami of corruption charge, gives central contract 22 Mar 2018 | PTI
- No Jaya footage to prevent people from watching: Apollo 22 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Riot cases will be withdrawn if politically motivated: UP govt 22 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A proposal to set up two centres of excellence, one in floriculture and another in citrus fruits, in Madhya Pradesh with the cooperation of Israel is awaiting the Centre's green-signal. While talking to media persons here on Thursday, Israel Consul General in Mumbai Yaakov Finkelstein told, “India and Israel are working on to strengthen the partnership and cooperation in the fields of agriculture and water...