- Poll verdict a lesson to Congress for criticising Gujarat model: Adityanath
- When celebrations turned sombre at Congress office
- Modi flashes victory sign as BJP close to winning Gujarat, Himachal
- Poll results approval of Modi govt's policies: Rajnath Singh
- 12 killed in fire at a shop in Mumbai
- BJP poised to take power in Himachal
- After early hiccups, BJP set to retain power in Gujarat
- Cong to build alternative narrative based on fairness,jobs for all: Chidambaram
- AIADMK battles war within; actors eye political vacuum in TN
- DRDO has key role in 'Make in India' programme: Sitharaman
- BJP supporters scuttle programme in memory of Nirbhaya: AAP
Uphaar case: Gopal Ansal surrenders in Tihar jail
Gopal Ansal surrendered today before Tihar jail authorities to undergo one-year jail term in the 1997 Uphaar fire tragedy case after the Supreme Court refused to grant him more time.
A bench comprising Chief Justice J S Khehar and Justices D Y Chandrachud and S K Kaul rejected the plea moved by the real estate baron seeking more time to surrender on the ground that he has moved a mercy plea before the President, and had asked him to surrender by this evening.
"Ansal surrendered around 5-5.30 PM. He is currently lodged in the hospital at Jail No. 3 as he complained of some health issues," said a jail official.
The bench said, "Sorry, we can't," when senior advocate Ram Jethmalani mentioned the matter and sought more time, telling the court that they have already approached the President with their mercy plea.
The apex court also rejected the plea from the senior advocate seeking a direction for speedy disposal of his mercy plea, pending before the President, saying that it cannot interfere in it as it is an exclusive jurisdiction of the President.
The apex court, on March 9, had dismissed Ansal's petition for parity with his elder brother Sushil Ansal, who was awarded jail term already undergone by him considering his "age-related complications", and directed him to surrender by today to serve the prison term.
69-year-old Gopal Ansal was in jail earlier for around four-and-a-half-month in connection with the case relating to the June 13, 1997 fire tragedy in which 59 persons had died in Uphaar cinema during the screening of Hindi movie 'Border'.
Over 100 people were injured in the subsequent stampede.
A bench headed by Justice Gogoi, in a 2:1 majority verdict on February 9, had granted relief to 76-year-old Sushil Ansal considering age-related complications by awarding him the jail term already undergone and had asked Gopal to surrender in four weeks to serve the remaining jail term.
Gopal had thereafter approached the apex court seeking modification of its order on the grounds of parity, saying he was 69-year-old and would suffer irreparable damage to his health if sent to prison.
In its February 9 judgement, the apex court had upheld the fine of Rs 30 crore each imposed on both the convicts and said it should be utilised for setting up a trauma centre.
Earlier, a two-judge bench of the apex court had on March 5, 2014 held Sushil and Gopal Ansal guilty, but differed on the quantum of sentence to be awarded to them after which the matter was heard by a three-judge bench.
The Delhi High Court had on December 19, 2008 awarded one-year jail term to both Sushil and Gopal Ansal in the case while reducing the two-year sentence imposed on them by the trial court.
- SC rejects Gopal Ansal's plea, asks him to surrender on Mar 20 09 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Shahabuddin in Patna's Beur jail enroute to Tihar 18 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Court dismisses AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya's bail 27 Jun 2016 | PTI
- Chhota Shakeel's plot to kill Rajan foiled, 4 arrested: police 10 Jun 2016 | PTI
- Rajan faces death threat from Chhota Shakeel while in Tihar 01 May 2016 | PTI
- Kanhaiya walks out of Tihar on bail 03 Mar 2016 | PTI
- Uphaar case: SC rejects Neelam Krishnamoorthy's plea 20 Nov 2015 | PTI
- Development has won, says Modi on assembly election results 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- EVMs can be hacked, as margin between winner and loser very less: Hardik Patel 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Congress should take all parties along to usher change in 2019: Akhilesh 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Poll verdict a lesson to Congress for criticising Gujarat model: Adityanath 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- When celebrations turned sombre at Congress office 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Sena praises Rahul Gandhi; lauds him for Gujarat 'battle' 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Modi flashes victory sign as BJP close to winning Gujarat, Himachal 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Poll results approval of Modi govt's policies: Rajnath Singh 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- 12 killed in fire at a shop in Mumbai 18 Dec 2017 | PTI
- BJP poised to take power in Himachal 18 Dec 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The State Government has recommended to the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) to stop entry of devotees into the sanctum sanctorum (Garvagriha) of the shrine. In a letter to the SJTA, the Government has asked for restrictions on darshan of the deities by devotees, including VIPs...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Police are investigating different possibilities in the case of the two men found dead at the Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan on Friday. The bodies of Kamal Ram, a native of Rudraprayag and Sonu Kumar of Dehradun were found at Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan near Haridwar Bypass...