- Bollywood legend Sridevi passes away at the age of 54
- India beat South Africa by 7 runs to clinch series 2-1
- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
US '100 pc' behind Japan after N Korea missile launch: Trump
US President Donald Trump today assured its "great ally" Japan of America's full support after North Korea in an apparent provocation test fired a ballistic missile, which was denounced by the visiting Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as "absolutely intolerable."
"I just want everybody to understand and fully know that the United States of America stands behind Japan, it's great ally, 100 per cent," Trump said in a brief statement during a joint news conference with Abe. He did not elaborate.
His comments came after Abe denounced the North's missile launch - the first after Trump became the US President - at a hastily organised joint briefing at Mar-a-Lago in Florida.
The news conference lasted for less than three minutes.
"North Korea's most recent missile launch is absolutely intolerable," Abe told reporters. "North Korea must fully comply with the relevant UN Security Council resolutions."
The two leaders were talking to reporters after spending the day at a golf course and discussing US-Asia engagement.
"During the summit meeting that I had with President Trump, he assured me that the US will always [be with] Japan 100 per cent, and to demonstrate his determination as well as commitment, he is here with me at this joint press conference," Abe, who spoke via a translator, said.
In a statement, the US Strategic Command said it detected a North Korean launch of a medium- or intermediate-range ballistic missile. It occurred near the northwestern city of Kusong and the missile was tracked over North Korea and into the Sea of Japan.
The North American Aerospace Defence Command determined the missile launch from the North did not pose a threat to North America, the statement said.
Earlier in the evening, Trump told reporters that he and Abe had a great time together. "We got to know each other very, very well."
Trump and Abe arrived at Mar-a-Lago Friday evening from Washington DC aboard Air Force One.
The White House said Trump "enjoyed hosting" Abe on the golf course. It described the retreat as "both relaxing and productive."
"They had great conversations on a wide range of subjects, and the President looks forward to further discussions with the Prime Minister...," the White House said.
- Trump's U turn on Taiwan shows he is learning: Chinese media 11 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Trump considers 'brand new' executive order on immigration 11 Feb 2017 | PTI
- US court denies Trump admin's request to reinstate travel ban 05 Feb 2017 | PTI
- US judge blocks Trump's controversial travel ban 04 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Trump fires acting AG in rift over immigration order 31 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Trump taking steps to defeat ISIS: White House 31 Jan 2017 | PTI
- H-1B reform bill introduced in US House of Representatives 31 Jan 2017 | IANS
- Trump gives US military 30 days to prepare anti-ISIS strategy 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- 'It's not a Muslim ban': Trump defends immigration order 29 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Trump signs order for extreme vetting to prevent terrorism 28 Jan 2017 | PTI
- Policeman dies in militant attack in Kashmir 25 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Three held for printing, circulating fake notes in C'garh 25 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Thane CDR scam: Film personalities to be questioned 25 Feb 2018 | PTI
- India congratulates China on FATF post, hopes Beijing will be balanced 25 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Chinese man held for smuggling gold worth Rs 92 lakh at Delhi airport 25 Feb 2018 | PTI
- BJP to hold discussion on February 28 with eyes on 2019 polls 25 Feb 2018 | IANS
- CRPF to get 25 high-end drones to tackle Maoists, terrorists 25 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Fans gather outside Sridevi's house, mortal remains to arrive tonight 25 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Railways opts for latest tech worth Rs 2,726 crore to enhance track safety 25 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Day-to-day safety should be part of our lives: PM Modi 25 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
25 Feb 2018 | M Venkaiah Naidu
Today, we are conferring International Gandhi Award-2017 on two outstanding personalities, Dr MD Gupte and Dr Atul Shah, for their selfless and humanitarian services in the cause of elimination of leprosy and in alleviating the suffering of leprosy-affected patients. Leprosy has been prevalent in our country since a very long time...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Feb 2018 | PNS | Bokaro
Over 600 Government primary and middle schools do not have power supply across the Bokaro district at present. As per the government directive, all the government schools must have been electrified by the end of the financial year 2016-17, about 619 primary and middle schools yet to get electric supply across the district, reveals official data...