- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal'
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years
- Irani hits back at Rahul Gandhi for tweet on Jay Shah
Venkaiah Naidu is India's vice president-elect
NDA nominee M Venkaiah Naidu was today elected as the next Vice President of India by securing over two-thirds of votes leaving opposition candidate Gopalkrishna Gandhi far behind.
Naidu got 516 votes out of total 771 votes cast while Gandhi could only manage 244 votes. Of the total 771 votes polled, 11 were found to be invalid.
Although 785 MPs are there in both the Houses of Parliament, 14 MPs could not vote.
"Coming from an agricultural background, I never imagined I would be here. Agriculture has no proper voice in Indian polity," India's vice president-elect told PTI.
"I am very humbled. I am also thankful to the Prime Minister and all party leaders for their support. I will seek to utilise the vice presidential institution to strengthen the hands of the president and secondly uphold the dignity of the Upper House," he added.
Naidu will be the 13th person to hold the second highest Constitutional post.
The strength of the electoral college comprising both elected and nominated MPs of Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha is 790. While there are two vacancies in the LS, three seats are vacant in the RS also.
One BJP Lok Sabha MP is barred from voting following a judicial pronouncement.
In the 2007 VP poll, incumbent Hamid Ansari had polled 456 votes, Najma Heptullah 222 votes and Rashid Masood 075 votes.
In the 2012 polls, Ansari had bagged 490 and NDA nominee Jaswant Singh 238 votes.
- Man with knife attacks 4 people in Munich; arrest made 21 Oct 2017 | AP
- Pak envoy meets with Swaraj: FO 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Linking bank accounts with Aadhaar mandatory, it is government's decision: RBI 21 Oct 2017 | IANS
- RSS worker gunned down, brother injured in UP 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open 21 Oct 2017 | Hussain
- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal' 21 Oct 2017 | IANS
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Restrictions in Srinagar after strike call by separatists 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Oct 2017 | PTI | New Delhi
The Sharad Yadav faction of the Janata Dal (United) Party on Saturday announced election to party posts on March 11 and released a list of interim office-bearers, including Chhotubhai Vasava as working president and Ali Anwar as one of the vice-presidents. Yadav also released a list of presidents of party units in states at a press briefing...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...