Venkaiah Naidu is India's vice president-elect
NDA nominee M Venkaiah Naidu was today elected as the next Vice President of India by securing over two-thirds of votes leaving opposition candidate Gopalkrishna Gandhi far behind.
Naidu got 516 votes out of total 771 votes cast while Gandhi could only manage 244 votes. Of the total 771 votes polled, 11 were found to be invalid.
Although 785 MPs are there in both the Houses of Parliament, 14 MPs could not vote.
"Coming from an agricultural background, I never imagined I would be here. Agriculture has no proper voice in Indian polity," India's vice president-elect told PTI.
"I am very humbled. I am also thankful to the Prime Minister and all party leaders for their support. I will seek to utilise the vice presidential institution to strengthen the hands of the president and secondly uphold the dignity of the Upper House," he added.
Naidu will be the 13th person to hold the second highest Constitutional post.
The strength of the electoral college comprising both elected and nominated MPs of Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha is 790. While there are two vacancies in the LS, three seats are vacant in the RS also.
One BJP Lok Sabha MP is barred from voting following a judicial pronouncement.
In the 2007 VP poll, incumbent Hamid Ansari had polled 456 votes, Najma Heptullah 222 votes and Rashid Masood 075 votes.
In the 2012 polls, Ansari had bagged 490 and NDA nominee Jaswant Singh 238 votes.
- US designates Hizbul Mujahideen as foreign terrorist group 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Violations on Blue Whale will be dealt with strictly: Minister 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Modi govt's J&K policy has created space for Pak to misbehave: Rahul 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Amid Doklam row, India, China discuss border peace after Ladakh scuffle 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- People living in fear, will fight to save composite culture: Sharad Yadav 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Chinese side requests flag meeting after Ladakh skirmish 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- 1984 riots: SC forms body to examine SIT decision to close 199 cases 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Unaware of scuffle between PLA, Indian troops in Ladakh: China 16 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Rahul Gandhi inaugurates Indira Canteens in Bengaluru 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
- SC orders NIA probe into Kerala girl's conversion, marriage 16 Aug 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
On the occasion of 71st Independence Day, a delegation from 10 nations of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) led by Ram Madhav (Director, India Foundation) visited Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya. The Independence Day celebrations commenced with hosting of the national flag by Ram Madhav and Prof Sarit Kumar Chaudhuri (Director, IGRMS) followed by National Anthem...