Venkaiah Naidu is India's vice president-elect
NDA nominee M Venkaiah Naidu was today elected as the next Vice President of India by securing over two-thirds of votes leaving opposition candidate Gopalkrishna Gandhi far behind.
Naidu got 516 votes out of total 771 votes cast while Gandhi could only manage 244 votes. Of the total 771 votes polled, 11 were found to be invalid.
Although 785 MPs are there in both the Houses of Parliament, 14 MPs could not vote.
"Coming from an agricultural background, I never imagined I would be here. Agriculture has no proper voice in Indian polity," India's vice president-elect told PTI.
"I am very humbled. I am also thankful to the Prime Minister and all party leaders for their support. I will seek to utilise the vice presidential institution to strengthen the hands of the president and secondly uphold the dignity of the Upper House," he added.
Naidu will be the 13th person to hold the second highest Constitutional post.
The strength of the electoral college comprising both elected and nominated MPs of Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha is 790. While there are two vacancies in the LS, three seats are vacant in the RS also.
One BJP Lok Sabha MP is barred from voting following a judicial pronouncement.
In the 2007 VP poll, incumbent Hamid Ansari had polled 456 votes, Najma Heptullah 222 votes and Rashid Masood 075 votes.
In the 2012 polls, Ansari had bagged 490 and NDA nominee Jaswant Singh 238 votes.
- All eyes on Gujarat as stage set for counting tomorrow 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Pak 'processing' visa applications of Jadhav's wife, mother 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Third ODI: India restrict Sri Lanka to low score 17 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Cong to build alternative narrative based on fairness,jobs for all: Chidambaram 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Protests over driver's death in J&K Army ambush 17 Dec 2017 | IANS
- AIADMK battles war within; actors eye political vacuum in TN 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- DRDO has key role in 'Make in India' programme: Sitharaman 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- BJP supporters scuttle programme in memory of Nirbhaya: AAP 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- 8 killed, 44 injured in suicide attack on church in Pak 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Ex-BJP MLA's son shot dead near UP Assembly complex: Police 17 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Dec 2017 | PNS | BHUBANESWAR
The State Government has recommended to the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) to stop entry of devotees into the sanctum sanctorum (Garvagriha) of the shrine. In a letter to the SJTA, the Government has asked for restrictions on darshan of the deities by devotees, including VIPs...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Dec 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Police are investigating different possibilities in the case of the two men found dead at the Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan on Friday. The bodies of Kamal Ram, a native of Rudraprayag and Sonu Kumar of Dehradun were found at Sant Nirankari Satsang Bhawan near Haridwar Bypass...