Voting in presidential election ends
Voting to elect Indias 14th President ended at 5 p.m. on Monday in Parliament House and state assemblies across India with an overwhelming majority of the electoral college members having cast their vote.
Voting was held in 32 polling stations -- one in Parliament House Room No 62 and rest one each in state legislative assemblies.
Polling started at 10 a.m.
A total of 776 MPs and 4,120 MLAs were eligible to vote. The total value of votes of the electoral college is 10,98,903.
The ballot boxes from the states will be brought to Delhi for counting on July 20. Results will be declared that day.
NDA's candidate Ram Nath Kovind -- ex Bihar governor -- has an advantage over Meira Kumar -- a former Lok Sabha speaker -- as the numbers are stacked in favour of the ruling NDA.
The BJP and allies have nearly 63 per cent of the vote while the Congress-led opposition has a little over 35 per cent. Independents and other smaller parties, who have not made their choice known, have two per cent.
President Pranab Mukherjee demits office on July 25.
- K'taka Cong MLA says audio tape released by his party to frame BJP is 'fake' 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Dalit man beaten to death in Gujarat, 5 held 21 May 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi arrives in Sochi for informal summit with Putin 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Moody's downgrades PNB on the impact of Nirav Modi fraud 21 May 2018 | PTI
- ND-Vizag AP Express catches fire near Gwalior, no injuries reported 21 May 2018 | PTI
- India test fires BrahMos cruise missile 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Plea in SC seeking review of Loya death case verdict 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Kerala Health dept on alert after 3 deaths due to virus 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Communalism has no place in West Bengal: CM 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Pak Rangers violate ceasefire again, hours after 'pleading' to stop firing 21 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...