Will continue defence ties with India: Nepal's Defence Minister
Nepal's new Defence Minister Ishwor Pokhrel on Tuesday pledged to strengthen military and defence ties with India.
He made the remarks during a meeting with Indian Ambassador to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri. Pokhrel said that Nepal-India ties were "time tested" and thanked India for providing various kinds of assistance to the Nepal Army for its capacity building, among others.
"My impression is that both the Defence Ministries of Nepal and India are very much eager to boost ties and work closely," said Pokhrel.
Among other things, the upcoming 12th edition of Nepal-India military drills named Surya-Kiran, also figured in the meeting. India is hosting the joint military drill this time.
On his part, Puri highlighted the various facets of bilateral ties between the two countries which are "unique" and "special".
Puri appreciated the role of the Nepal Army in providing global peace and security and assured that Indian assistance to Nepal Army like imparting training, providing military hardware and other kind of assistance will continue.
Currently, there are 39 battalions serving in 7 Gorkha regiments in the Indian Army. The regiments comprise of both Indian and Nepali Gorkha soldiers. Also, there are about 90,000 Indian Army pensioners in Nepal.
- Rahul attacks PM over non-construction of super speciality hospital in Odisha 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Army chief reviews security situation along LoC 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi accuses Congress of ignoring cities 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Chidambaram rejects Jaitley's charge against Rahul Gandhi 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Kumaraswamy accuses Centre of taking unilateral decision on Cauvery panel 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- BJP will not allow Kashmir to get disintegrated from India: Shah 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- India summons Pak deputy HC over denial to envoy to meet pilgrims 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 23 Air India flights delayed due to software malfunction 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- VP calls for mindset change for empowering widows 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Modi launches Mohanpura Irrigation project in MP 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS | RANCHI
Taking the vision of ‘New India’ and the challenges ahead among the aspiring business managers, Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Jayant Sinha discussed elaborately on the concept of ‘Farms to Frontiers’ to accelerate the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate while addressing the students of new batch of Indian Institute of Management-Ranchi (2018-2020) here on Saturday. Sharing his insights, understanding of business ventures and a few examples from his public...