Will seek support of all major political parties: Kovind
The NDA's presidential nominee and Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind today said he will meet leaders of major political parties and seek their support to emerge as a 'consensus candidate' for the coveted post.
He met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP chief Amit Shah after he arrived here in the evening from Patna following the BJP's decision to project him as the ruling NDA candidate as the Head of the State.
Kovind said he was a "small citizen" entrusted with a big responsibility.
"All those who are members of the electoral college...I will meet leaders of major political parties and seek their support...I hope that every citizen will support me," he said.
After meeting Modi, Kovind briefly visited the Bihar Niwas where he declined to answer any question from the media and only said, "I thank everyone."
Non-NDA parties like BJD, TRS and YSRCP have announced their support to the Dalit leader. Kovind is likely to file his nomination on June 23.
If elected, which appears to be a certainty, the 71-year-old former lawyer would be only the second Dalit to occupy the Rashtrapati Bhavan after K R Narayanan.
- Narasimhan move raises political storm in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Data breach: Govt again sends notices to CA, Facebook 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Eastern Peripheral Expressway : Innovation beats the clock 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Delhi Mtero hikes parking rate 25 Apr 2018 | PNS
- SC questions Centre on mandatory seeding of Aadhaar with mobile 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- North Korea nuclear test site part-collapsed: Chinese experts 25 Apr 2018 | AFP
- PNB to hire detective agencies to locate untraceable borrowers 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Congress video shows Modi with Asaram 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- SC judges urge CJI to hold full court on issues plaguing judiciary 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- CBI cracks Kotkhai rape case 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | PNS | BRAHMAPUR
The ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture (CIFA) in collaboration with the State Fisheries Department, Ganjam zone, conducted an awareness meet for tribal students entitled "Fish as Healthy Food” at Badapalli Ashram School in Digapahandi block on April 20. More than 350 students from seven nearby schools participated in a meet with their teachers...