Will seek support of all major political parties: Kovind
The NDA's presidential nominee and Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind today said he will meet leaders of major political parties and seek their support to emerge as a 'consensus candidate' for the coveted post.
He met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP chief Amit Shah after he arrived here in the evening from Patna following the BJP's decision to project him as the ruling NDA candidate as the Head of the State.
Kovind said he was a "small citizen" entrusted with a big responsibility.
"All those who are members of the electoral college...I will meet leaders of major political parties and seek their support...I hope that every citizen will support me," he said.
After meeting Modi, Kovind briefly visited the Bihar Niwas where he declined to answer any question from the media and only said, "I thank everyone."
Non-NDA parties like BJD, TRS and YSRCP have announced their support to the Dalit leader. Kovind is likely to file his nomination on June 23.
If elected, which appears to be a certainty, the 71-year-old former lawyer would be only the second Dalit to occupy the Rashtrapati Bhavan after K R Narayanan.
- Modi embarks on three-nation tour 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Twin blasts rock market in Pakistan's north-west, 15 killed 23 Jun 2017 | IANS
- Punjab passes bill to enable hotels near highways serve liquor 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- US will need India to counter China: US think tank 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- All 45 elected members of GTA resign 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Mirwaiz calls officer's lynching 'brutal act' 23 Jun 2017 | IANS
- China still says no to India's NSG membership 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Mukesh Ambani blinks, drops gas price challenge against govt 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Kovind files nomination in presence of PM, NDA CMs 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Bill tabled in US House to revoke Pak's ally status 23 Jun 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A police team, along with sniffer dogs, scanned the whole area of Bonta Park in Civil Lines on Saturday morning to get some clue about a woman murdered by her husband on Friday. After 12 hours search operation, police were able to find the body identified as Komal...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A farmer committed suicide in Chhatarpur district, allegedly due to over burdened with debt. While the family of Raghuvir Yadav, (27) alleged that he took the extreme step due to his mounting debt, the police said a family dispute led him to end his life...