Woman killed in ceasefire violation by Pak army in Poonch
"The Pakistani army initiated unprovoked and indiscriminate firing of small arms, automatic weapons and mortars from 0515 hours in Poonch sector along the LoC," a defence spokesman said.
Indian Army personnel guarding the border posts retaliated strongly and effectively.
The exchange of fire stopped at 0645 hours, he said.
Around 0520 hours, mortar shells fired from across the border exploded near the house of Mohd. Shabir at Gohlad Kalran village, killing his wife Raqia Bi, a police officer said.
On August 8, the Pakistani troops resorted to firing and shelling in the Krishnagati sector of Poonch district, killing Sepoy Pawan Singh Sugra (21).
Till August 1 this year, there have been 285 instances of ceasefire violation by the Pakistani forces. In 2016, the number was significantly less at 228.
- 6 coaches of Utkal Express derails in UP, 20 injured 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Knife attacker in Russian city wounds 8, shot by police 19 Aug 2017 | AFP
- NPA resolution: RBI chief calls for recapitalisation of banks 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Positive result on merger in a day or two: Panneerselvam 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Still judging current mechanism for resolving bad debts: Jaitley 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Iraqi forces ready for next battle against IS extremists: US 19 Aug 2017 | AP
- Security forces launch search operation in Shopian 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Bannon returns to Breitbart after his White House ouster 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Adityanath targets Rahul, says Gorakhpur not a 'picnic spot' 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Nitish Kumar-led JD-U faction joins NDA 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
The Geological Survey of India will carry out assessment of Limestone deposits In Laladhurwa-Jognipali Block of Raigarh district in Chhattisgarh. GSI last year took up assessment of limestone deposits at Birutola-Nawapara-Sohagpur Blocks of Kabirdham district in Chhattisgarh, officials stated...