- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal'
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years
- Irani hits back at Rahul Gandhi for tweet on Jay Shah
Yes, we made mistakes: Kejriwal after Delhi loss
Grappling with a crushing defeat in the civic polls, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today admitted that his Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) made "mistakes" and that there was a need to "introspect" and "course correct".
Till now the AAP leader had been blaming Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) for the party's rout in polls.
Kejriwal said that based on his interactions with "volunteers and voters", it was obvious that the party made mistakes and there was a need to go back to the "drawing board".
"Need is action and not excuses," he said, amid growing clamour in the party to desist from raking up the issue of EVMs being "tampered with" to favour the BJP, an allegation rubbished by the Election Commission.
The remarks are part of a brief written statement, shared by the AAP chief on Twitter, three days after the party was defeated by the BJP in the Delhi municipal polls.
"In the last two days, I spoke to many volunteers and voters. The reality is obvious. Yes, we made mistakes but we will introspect and course correct. Time to go back to drawing board," he said.
He said it would be "silly" for the party to not evolve.
AAP was formed in late 2012, after the India Against Corruption movement led by Kejriwal and veteran activist Anna Hazare.
The party stormed to power in Delhi with an overwhelming majority of 67 seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly in 2015, gaining prominence in the national stage.
Since then, it has focused on expanding its base beyond the national capital, but its foray in Punjab and Goa failed, and the party has also lost its grip over the national capital in the recent past.
In Punjab, the party did emerge as the primary opposition but the performance did not live up to the hype.
In Delhi, the party first lost the Rajouri Garden assembly bypoll and within days, received a drubbing in the civic elections, where the BJP retained control of all the three corporations.
"It's time to get back to work. And even if we slip from time to time, the key is to find the reserves to hold and pull ourselves up. People deserve nothing less. The only thing constant is change," he added.
- Larger coalition no answer to check Modi, says Kejriwal 22 Apr 2017 | IANS
- Postpone MCD polls by 1-2 months: Kejriwal to Delhi SEC 14 Apr 2017 | PTI
- They want to finish us, but AAP ready to operate form streets: Kejriwal 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- They offered struggling Kejriwal accommodations, AAP pays back with tickets 26 Mar 2017 | PTI
- MCD polls: Kejriwal promises to abolish residential house tax 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Unfurl the victory flag in Delhi too, Shah to BJP workers 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Delhi CM, 5 others put on trial in Jaitley defamation case 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- PWD scam: Police transfer complaint against Kejriwal to ACB 18 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Setback for AAP's nat'l ambitions after 'dissapointing' result 11 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Defamation case: Kejriwal moves HC seeking Jaitley's financial records 25 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Man with knife attacks 4 people in Munich; arrest made 21 Oct 2017 | AP
- Pak envoy meets with Swaraj: FO 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Linking bank accounts with Aadhaar mandatory, it is government's decision: RBI 21 Oct 2017 | IANS
- RSS worker gunned down, brother injured in UP 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open 21 Oct 2017 | Hussain
- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal' 21 Oct 2017 | IANS
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Restrictions in Srinagar after strike call by separatists 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Oct 2017 | PTI | New Delhi
The Sharad Yadav faction of the Janata Dal (United) Party on Saturday announced election to party posts on March 11 and released a list of interim office-bearers, including Chhotubhai Vasava as working president and Ali Anwar as one of the vice-presidents. Yadav also released a list of presidents of party units in states at a press briefing...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...