Yes, we made mistakes: Kejriwal after Delhi loss
Grappling with a crushing defeat in the civic polls, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today admitted that his Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) made "mistakes" and that there was a need to "introspect" and "course correct".
Till now the AAP leader had been blaming Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) for the party's rout in polls.
Kejriwal said that based on his interactions with "volunteers and voters", it was obvious that the party made mistakes and there was a need to go back to the "drawing board".
"Need is action and not excuses," he said, amid growing clamour in the party to desist from raking up the issue of EVMs being "tampered with" to favour the BJP, an allegation rubbished by the Election Commission.
The remarks are part of a brief written statement, shared by the AAP chief on Twitter, three days after the party was defeated by the BJP in the Delhi municipal polls.
"In the last two days, I spoke to many volunteers and voters. The reality is obvious. Yes, we made mistakes but we will introspect and course correct. Time to go back to drawing board," he said.
He said it would be "silly" for the party to not evolve.
AAP was formed in late 2012, after the India Against Corruption movement led by Kejriwal and veteran activist Anna Hazare.
The party stormed to power in Delhi with an overwhelming majority of 67 seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly in 2015, gaining prominence in the national stage.
Since then, it has focused on expanding its base beyond the national capital, but its foray in Punjab and Goa failed, and the party has also lost its grip over the national capital in the recent past.
In Punjab, the party did emerge as the primary opposition but the performance did not live up to the hype.
In Delhi, the party first lost the Rajouri Garden assembly bypoll and within days, received a drubbing in the civic elections, where the BJP retained control of all the three corporations.
"It's time to get back to work. And even if we slip from time to time, the key is to find the reserves to hold and pull ourselves up. People deserve nothing less. The only thing constant is change," he added.
- Larger coalition no answer to check Modi, says Kejriwal 22 Apr 2017 | IANS
- Postpone MCD polls by 1-2 months: Kejriwal to Delhi SEC 14 Apr 2017 | PTI
- They want to finish us, but AAP ready to operate form streets: Kejriwal 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- They offered struggling Kejriwal accommodations, AAP pays back with tickets 26 Mar 2017 | PTI
- MCD polls: Kejriwal promises to abolish residential house tax 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Unfurl the victory flag in Delhi too, Shah to BJP workers 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Delhi CM, 5 others put on trial in Jaitley defamation case 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- PWD scam: Police transfer complaint against Kejriwal to ACB 18 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Setback for AAP's nat'l ambitions after 'dissapointing' result 11 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Defamation case: Kejriwal moves HC seeking Jaitley's financial records 25 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Knife attacker in Russian city wounds 8, shot by police 19 Aug 2017 | AFP
- NPA resolution: RBI chief calls for recapitalisation of banks 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Positive result on merger in a day or two: Panneerselvam 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Still judging current mechanism for resolving bad debts: Jaitley 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Iraqi forces ready for next battle against IS extremists: US 19 Aug 2017 | AP
- Security forces launch search operation in Shopian 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Bannon returns to Breitbart after his White House ouster 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Adityanath targets Rahul, says Gorakhpur not a 'picnic spot' 19 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Nitish Kumar-led JD-U faction joins NDA 19 Aug 2017 | IANS
- Spain suspects were preparing bigger attack: police 18 Aug 2017 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
13 Aug 2017 | TN RAGHUNATHA | Mumbai
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs (Independent Charge) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on said in Mumbai on Saturday that the Haj Policy-2018 — aimed at making the piligrimage process “transparent” and “smooth” — would be unveiled later this month. Speaking at the 22nd annual Haj orientation camp organised for Haj pilgrims at Haj House in Mumbai, Naqvi said that from the next year, the Haj would be organised as per to...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Aug 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
The Geological Survey of India will carry out assessment of Limestone deposits In Laladhurwa-Jognipali Block of Raigarh district in Chhattisgarh. GSI last year took up assessment of limestone deposits at Birutola-Nawapara-Sohagpur Blocks of Kabirdham district in Chhattisgarh, officials stated...