- In Modi, Trump has a leader he can truly work with: experts
- Monsoon session of Parliament from July 17 to Aug 11
- Over 140 people feared buried in China landslide
- Modi to be first world leader to have WH dinner with Trump
- DU announces first cut-off list
- Srikanth reaches 3rd successive Super Series final
- Modi embarks on three-nation tour
Yes, we made mistakes: Kejriwal after Delhi loss
Grappling with a crushing defeat in the civic polls, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today admitted that his Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) made "mistakes" and that there was a need to "introspect" and "course correct".
Till now the AAP leader had been blaming Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) for the party's rout in polls.
Kejriwal said that based on his interactions with "volunteers and voters", it was obvious that the party made mistakes and there was a need to go back to the "drawing board".
"Need is action and not excuses," he said, amid growing clamour in the party to desist from raking up the issue of EVMs being "tampered with" to favour the BJP, an allegation rubbished by the Election Commission.
The remarks are part of a brief written statement, shared by the AAP chief on Twitter, three days after the party was defeated by the BJP in the Delhi municipal polls.
"In the last two days, I spoke to many volunteers and voters. The reality is obvious. Yes, we made mistakes but we will introspect and course correct. Time to go back to drawing board," he said.
He said it would be "silly" for the party to not evolve.
AAP was formed in late 2012, after the India Against Corruption movement led by Kejriwal and veteran activist Anna Hazare.
The party stormed to power in Delhi with an overwhelming majority of 67 seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly in 2015, gaining prominence in the national stage.
Since then, it has focused on expanding its base beyond the national capital, but its foray in Punjab and Goa failed, and the party has also lost its grip over the national capital in the recent past.
In Punjab, the party did emerge as the primary opposition but the performance did not live up to the hype.
In Delhi, the party first lost the Rajouri Garden assembly bypoll and within days, received a drubbing in the civic elections, where the BJP retained control of all the three corporations.
"It's time to get back to work. And even if we slip from time to time, the key is to find the reserves to hold and pull ourselves up. People deserve nothing less. The only thing constant is change," he added.
- Larger coalition no answer to check Modi, says Kejriwal 22 Apr 2017 | IANS
- Postpone MCD polls by 1-2 months: Kejriwal to Delhi SEC 14 Apr 2017 | PTI
- They want to finish us, but AAP ready to operate form streets: Kejriwal 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- They offered struggling Kejriwal accommodations, AAP pays back with tickets 26 Mar 2017 | PTI
- MCD polls: Kejriwal promises to abolish residential house tax 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Unfurl the victory flag in Delhi too, Shah to BJP workers 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Delhi CM, 5 others put on trial in Jaitley defamation case 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- PWD scam: Police transfer complaint against Kejriwal to ACB 18 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Setback for AAP's nat'l ambitions after 'dissapointing' result 11 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Defamation case: Kejriwal moves HC seeking Jaitley's financial records 25 Feb 2017 | PTI
- NCR to get new international airport at Jewar 24 Jun 2017 | IANS
- Trump realises India has been "force for good" in world: top official 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Five STF jawans injured in gunbattle with Maoists in Sukma 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- BAT team carried special daggers, headband cameras to record terror attack 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- EC to continue hearing office of profit case against AAP MLAs 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Monsoon session of Parliament from July 17 to Aug 11 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- JK lynching: Cops form SIT, arrest five of 12 identified 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Over 140 people feared buried in China landslide 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Modi to be first world leader to have WH dinner with Trump 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- DU announces first cut-off list 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jun 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
A regimented protocol of ‘Fast Track Bypass surgeries’ in which a patient can get discharged in three days has been initiated by the Max hospital here. Addressing media persons Senior Consultant Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery (CTVS), Dr Manish Meswani said that Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG) involves counselling of patient and fast tracking the conventional processes...