Yes, we made mistakes: Kejriwal after Delhi loss
Grappling with a crushing defeat in the civic polls, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today admitted that his Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) made "mistakes" and that there was a need to "introspect" and "course correct".
Till now the AAP leader had been blaming Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) for the party's rout in polls.
Kejriwal said that based on his interactions with "volunteers and voters", it was obvious that the party made mistakes and there was a need to go back to the "drawing board".
"Need is action and not excuses," he said, amid growing clamour in the party to desist from raking up the issue of EVMs being "tampered with" to favour the BJP, an allegation rubbished by the Election Commission.
The remarks are part of a brief written statement, shared by the AAP chief on Twitter, three days after the party was defeated by the BJP in the Delhi municipal polls.
"In the last two days, I spoke to many volunteers and voters. The reality is obvious. Yes, we made mistakes but we will introspect and course correct. Time to go back to drawing board," he said.
He said it would be "silly" for the party to not evolve.
AAP was formed in late 2012, after the India Against Corruption movement led by Kejriwal and veteran activist Anna Hazare.
The party stormed to power in Delhi with an overwhelming majority of 67 seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly in 2015, gaining prominence in the national stage.
Since then, it has focused on expanding its base beyond the national capital, but its foray in Punjab and Goa failed, and the party has also lost its grip over the national capital in the recent past.
In Punjab, the party did emerge as the primary opposition but the performance did not live up to the hype.
In Delhi, the party first lost the Rajouri Garden assembly bypoll and within days, received a drubbing in the civic elections, where the BJP retained control of all the three corporations.
"It's time to get back to work. And even if we slip from time to time, the key is to find the reserves to hold and pull ourselves up. People deserve nothing less. The only thing constant is change," he added.
- Larger coalition no answer to check Modi, says Kejriwal 22 Apr 2017 | IANS
- Postpone MCD polls by 1-2 months: Kejriwal to Delhi SEC 14 Apr 2017 | PTI
- They want to finish us, but AAP ready to operate form streets: Kejriwal 08 Apr 2017 | PTI
- They offered struggling Kejriwal accommodations, AAP pays back with tickets 26 Mar 2017 | PTI
- MCD polls: Kejriwal promises to abolish residential house tax 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Unfurl the victory flag in Delhi too, Shah to BJP workers 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Delhi CM, 5 others put on trial in Jaitley defamation case 25 Mar 2017 | PTI
- PWD scam: Police transfer complaint against Kejriwal to ACB 18 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Setback for AAP's nat'l ambitions after 'dissapointing' result 11 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Defamation case: Kejriwal moves HC seeking Jaitley's financial records 25 Feb 2017 | PTI
- Army free to take decisions in Jammu and Kashmir: Jaitley 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Govt abolishes FIPB, new mechanism for FDI approval on anvil 24 May 2017 | PTI
- I-T unearths 400 benami deals, attaches Rs 600-cr properties 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Sparks, smoke in Delhi Metro coach; train evacuated 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Court grants bail to Vaiko in sedition case 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Trump calls N Korea's Kim Jong-Un 'madman with nuclear weapons' 24 May 2017 | AFP
- Angry Sonu Nigam bids adieu to Twitter 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Pak court allows Indian woman to return home 24 May 2017 | PTI
- 24 dead as bus plunges into gorge in Uttarakhand 24 May 2017 | IANS
- UK prepares to deploy army, raises threat level to maximum 24 May 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | Naya Raipur
There will be 14 minor bridges constructed including a major bridge on the proposed railway track between Mandirhasaud, Naya Raipur and Kendri in the new capital region, officials informed. Notably, Naya Raipur has emerged in the country with the largest land bank of a mammoth 237 square kilometres ( 23,700 hectares), officials stated...