Bitcoin surges above $14,000 to new high
Bitcoin crossed $14,000 on Thursday, surging $2,000 in less than 24 hours, a new record high for the cryptocurrency.
Bitcoin began the year below $1,000 but continues its sharp rise despite warnings of a dangerous bubble, reports the BBC.
It hit the latest milestone during early trading in Asia, according to the website Coindesk.com.
The new record high comes just days before the launch of bitcoin futures on two exchanges, including the world's largest futures exchange, CME.
Spread betting firm CMC Markets said the rise had all the symptoms of a bubble market, warning "there is no way to know when the bubble will burst".
Bitcoins are created through a complex computer process known as mining, and then monitored by a network of computers across the world.
A steady stream of about 3,600 new bitcoins are created a day - with about 16.5 million now in circulation from a maximum limit of 21 million.
- Apple acquires music recognition app Shazam 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Celebs wish Virushka 'happily ever after' 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Rajinikanth turns 67, celebs wish him long life 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Priyanka Chopra receives Mother Teresa Memorial award 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Violence is not the way: Aamir on 'Padmavati' 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Trump tells NASA to return American astronauts to Moon 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Airtel launches 4G services in Ladakh region 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Big B's social media family grows to 80 million 11 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Bitcoin futures rise as virtual currency hits major exchange 11 Dec 2017 | AP
- Tendulkar to PM: Include int'l medallists in CGHS scheme 11 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
13 Dec 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
The Congress will organise a yatra covering all the 11 districts where the party feels that the employment rights of the locals have been compromised with. The protest is also against the said promise reportedly made by Chief Minister Raghubar Das to amend the decision allowing outsiders into Government jobs in certain part of the State...