Bitcoin surges above $14,000 to new high
Bitcoin crossed $14,000 on Thursday, surging $2,000 in less than 24 hours, a new record high for the cryptocurrency.
Bitcoin began the year below $1,000 but continues its sharp rise despite warnings of a dangerous bubble, reports the BBC.
It hit the latest milestone during early trading in Asia, according to the website Coindesk.com.
The new record high comes just days before the launch of bitcoin futures on two exchanges, including the world's largest futures exchange, CME.
Spread betting firm CMC Markets said the rise had all the symptoms of a bubble market, warning "there is no way to know when the bubble will burst".
Bitcoins are created through a complex computer process known as mining, and then monitored by a network of computers across the world.
A steady stream of about 3,600 new bitcoins are created a day - with about 16.5 million now in circulation from a maximum limit of 21 million.
- India, Netherlands seek concrete action against terrorism 24 May 2018 | PTI
- PUBG game crosses 10 mn daily active users 24 May 2018 | IANS
- 'Raazi' made me realise it's important to be in successful films: Arif Zakaria 24 May 2018 | IANS
- Facebook unveils three-pronged strategy to fight fake news 24 May 2018 | IANS
- Will post my fitness video soon: Modi 24 May 2018 | IANS
- Trump to consider possible import duties on automobiles 24 May 2018 | IANS
- Sidharth urges PM for 'stronger penalties' against abusing of animals 24 May 2018 | PTI
- Salman pens song for 'Race 3', Atif, Iulia croon 24 May 2018 | PTI
- India moves one notch up to 44th rank in IMD's competitiveness rankings 24 May 2018 | PTI
- SpaceX launches 7 satellites for NASA, Iridium 23 May 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...