Chhetri equals Messi'S record, joint second highest scorer among active players
Talismanic Indian football team captain Sunil Chhetri today became the joint second highest international goal scorer among active players along with Argentine superstar Lionel Messi with his 64th strike for the country against Kenya in the Intercontinental Cup summit clash here.
Chhetri, who had come into the match with 62 goals, gave India the lead in the eighth minute before scoring the second goal in the 29th minute to put him on par with Meesi.
He chested down a long pass from Anas Edathodika between two Kenyan defenders before firing in a low left-footer just inside the box that beat goalkeeper Patrick Matasi all ends up.
The 33-year-old Chhetri, who was playing in his 102nd international match, and Messi are behind leader and Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo who has 81 goals from 150 matches.
Chhetri and Messi are currently in joint 21st in the all-time list of goal scorers. The Indian is just one goal below former Chelsea and Ivory Coast stalwart Didier Drogba (65 from 104 matches).
In terms of number of goals per match, Chhetri is better than Meesi, arguably the best player in the world currently. Chhetri has scored 0.62 goals per match as against 0.52 of Messi (64 goals from 124 matches). The Indian has also a better goal average than Cristiano (0.54 per match).
Chhetri, who became only the second Indian to feature in 100 international matches after former skipper Bhaichung Bhutia, had earlier equalled Zlatan Ibrahamovic of Sweden and World Cup winner Brazilian Ronaldo in the match against New Zealand which India lost 1-2.
- Trump advises GOP: Quit wasting time on immigration 23 Jun 2018 | AP
- Trump threatens 20 per cent tariff on all imported EU cars 22 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Zoomcar launches 25 Electric vehicles at Miyapur Metro station 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- YouTube to let users launch pre-recorded videos as live moment 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Twitter launches IIFA emoji 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Priyanka Chopra arrives in Mumbai with Nick Jonas in tow 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- UK police arrest man after he claims to have a bomb 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- After giving birth, New Zealand leader craves mac-n-cheese 22 Jun 2018 | AP
- EU tariffs on US goods come into force 22 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Melania Trump dons 'I really don't care, do u?' jacket 22 Jun 2018 | AP
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...