Chinese government hackers steal trove of US Navy data: report
Chinese government hackers have stolen a massive trove of sensitive information from a US Navy contractor, including secret plans to develop a new type of submarine-launched anti-ship missile, the Washington Post reported today.
Investigators told the newspaper that breaches were executed in January and February by a division of the Chinese Ministry of State Security, operating out of the Chinese province of Guangdong.
The contractor, which was not named in the report, works for the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, based in Newport, Rhode Island. It conducts research and development for submarines and underwater weapons systems.
According to the Post, hackers swiped 614 gigabytes of data that included information relating to sensors, submarine cryptographic systems and a little-known project called Sea Dragon.
The Pentagon has not said much about Sea Dragon, launched in 2012, except that it is aimed at adapting existing military technologies to new uses.
At the Navy's request, the Post withheld information about the compromised new missile system, but said it was for a supersonic anti-ship missile that could be launched from submarines.
Navy spokesman Commander Bill Speaks declined to confirm the Post report, citing security reasons.
"Evolving cyber threats are serious matters and we are continuously bolstering our cybersecurity culture by focusing on awareness of the cyber threat, and the adequacy of our cyber defences and information technology capabilities," he told AFP.
Chinese hackers have for years targeted the US military to steal information and the Pentagon says they have previously swiped crucial data on the new F-35 stealth fighter, the advanced Patriot PAC-3 missile system and other highly sensitive projects.
News of the hack comes amid rising tensions between Beijing and Washington on a range of issues including trade and military matters.
The Pentagon last month pulled its invitation for China to join maritime exercises in the Pacific because of Beijing's "continued militarisation" of the South China Sea.
- Around 6000 railway station chiefs to get AC in cabins 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Neymar limps out of training, setting Brazilian alarm bells ringing 19 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Adobe announces new Office 365 integrations 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Global indexes drop as Trump threatens more China tariffs 19 Jun 2018 | AP
- Google to train 8,000 Indian journalists on fact-checking 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Google rolling out desktop browser support for Android Messages 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Samsung's new ultrasound device delivers 3D images of foetuses 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Rapper XXXTentacion shot dead at 20 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 'Chirp' app brings back Twitter functionalities to Apple Watch 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- 'Black Panther', 'Stranger Things' big winners at MTV Awards 2018 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...