×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

Trending News

Chinese troops have thinned in Doklam: Indian Army chief

| | New Delhi
Chinese troops have thinned in Doklam: Indian Army chief
Chinese troops have maintained their presence in Doklam on the border though their numbers have thinned, Indian Army chief General Bipin Rawat said on Friday.
 
Addressing the media ahead of the Army Day on January 15, he said road construction had been on in Doklam since 2000 but the Chinese soldiers had come close to Tosa Bala, dividing north and south Doklam in June last year just before the India-China standoff started.
 
He said the Chinese had come with a large manpower and equipment.
 
"We felt they will try to claim the whole Doklam... It was also posing a threat to us as it was changing the status quo," he said.
 
Gen Rawat said the Chinese presence in the northern part of Doklam continued but has thinned out and the level of activity has also gone down.
 
The Army chief stressed on shifting focus to the country's boundary with China in the north.
 
"The focus has to shift to the northern borders. We have focused too long on the western side," the Army chief said.
 
About increase in border transgressions and contact between Indian and Chinese soldiers, he said the numbers have gone up as India had deployed more troops in more forward positions along the border.
 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

‚ÄėAssault‚Äô on police driver: Action against Kerala ADGP

17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi

In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

IN BRIEF

23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi

MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...

Read More

Page generated in 0.2396 seconds.