Fans flock to Germany's first World Cup training session
Germany got down to business in the defence of their World Cup title today with their first training session in Russia, which was open to the public.
Around 400 spectators, who needed tickets to see the world champions in action, and 200 media saw head coach Joachim Loew put the German squad through their paces in a series of short matches.
Dozens of ticketless locals had to wait outside as security was tight at the CSKA Moscow training complex near the Germany team hotel in Vatutinki, a 45-minute drive from Moscow.
Captain Manuel Neuer looked sharp, making several saves even though the goalkeeper has only just returned from eight months sidelined by a fractured foot.
Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan also impressed amid off-field rumblings after he and Mesut Ozil were criticised for posing alongside Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan last month.
Defender Mats Hummels, plus wingers Marco Reus and Julian Brandt also stood out. Centre-back Jerome Boateng was lacking sharpness after only recently returning from a groin injury.
Arsenal midfielder Ozil, who is refusing to comment on the Erdogan controversy, trained despite missing Friday's 2-1 friendly win over Saudi Arabia with a knee injury.
Both Ozil and Gundogan were booed by disgruntled German fans in the shock 2-1 away defeat against Austria earlier this month following their perceived support for Erdogan.
Gundogan has insisted their meeting with the Turkish leader was not politically motivated.
A large group of children from Moscow's German school were among the enthusiastic spectators and Loew had to ask for quiet from the excited youngsters so he could brief his players.
Germany open their World Cup campaign at Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium on Sunday when they face Mexico. Their other opponents in Group F are Sweden and South Korea.
- Around 6000 railway station chiefs to get AC in cabins 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Neymar limps out of training, setting Brazilian alarm bells ringing 19 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Adobe announces new Office 365 integrations 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Global indexes drop as Trump threatens more China tariffs 19 Jun 2018 | AP
- Google to train 8,000 Indian journalists on fact-checking 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Google rolling out desktop browser support for Android Messages 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Samsung's new ultrasound device delivers 3D images of foetuses 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Rapper XXXTentacion shot dead at 20 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 'Chirp' app brings back Twitter functionalities to Apple Watch 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- 'Black Panther', 'Stranger Things' big winners at MTV Awards 2018 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...