- Not undergone any makeover, BJP distorted my image: Rahul Gandhi
- Leaders pay homage to Parliament attack victims; Manmohan greets Modi
- Ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda convicted in coal scam case
- Govt shelves Dec 31 deadline on Aadhaar, PAN in financial dealings
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr from Centre for Ockhi damage
- SC stalls Centre's takeover of Unitech
Global Internet users to reach 3.47 bn in 2017
With the biggest surge in smartphone adoption happening in India and Vietnam and user base expected to grow by almost 20 per cent in both countries, the year will see 3.47 billion people using the Internet, market research firm eMarketer has said.
Internet users will represent 46.8 per cent of the global population and mobile phones will be the primary device for Internet access, used by 2.73 billion people, the firm added.
The number of Internet users in India is expected to reach 450-465 million, said the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and market research firm IMRB International. The report said overall Internet penetration in India was currently around 31 per cent.
Developing digital markets in Asia-Pacific region, Latin America and the Middle East and Africa will see the fastest Internet user growth from 2017-21, driven by widening mobile broadband coverage and smartphone adoption.
By 2019, more than half of the world will access the Internet regularly and in 2021 more than four billion people will be online.
However, Internet user growth will fall from 6.1 per cent this year to 3.5 per cent by 2021 as Intenet use hits saturation, the report said.
Meanwhile, tablet penetration among Internet users will decline this year.
About 32.9 per cent of Internet users worldwide will access a tablet this year, down from 33.2 per cent in 2016.
- Facebook to now start paying tax locally 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Now you can follow hashtags on Instagram 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Republican accused of molesting teens loses Senate race in setback to Trump 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- 'Baahubali 2' top trending search query on Google in 2017 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Apple acquires music recognition app Shazam 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Celebs wish Virushka 'happily ever after' 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Rajinikanth turns 67, celebs wish him long life 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Priyanka Chopra receives Mother Teresa Memorial award 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Violence is not the way: Aamir on 'Padmavati' 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Trump tells NASA to return American astronauts to Moon 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...