Global Internet users to reach 3.47 bn in 2017
With the biggest surge in smartphone adoption happening in India and Vietnam and user base expected to grow by almost 20 per cent in both countries, the year will see 3.47 billion people using the Internet, market research firm eMarketer has said.
Internet users will represent 46.8 per cent of the global population and mobile phones will be the primary device for Internet access, used by 2.73 billion people, the firm added.
The number of Internet users in India is expected to reach 450-465 million, said the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and market research firm IMRB International. The report said overall Internet penetration in India was currently around 31 per cent.
Developing digital markets in Asia-Pacific region, Latin America and the Middle East and Africa will see the fastest Internet user growth from 2017-21, driven by widening mobile broadband coverage and smartphone adoption.
By 2019, more than half of the world will access the Internet regularly and in 2021 more than four billion people will be online.
However, Internet user growth will fall from 6.1 per cent this year to 3.5 per cent by 2021 as Intenet use hits saturation, the report said.
Meanwhile, tablet penetration among Internet users will decline this year.
About 32.9 per cent of Internet users worldwide will access a tablet this year, down from 33.2 per cent in 2016.
- Actress Patricia Morison dead 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Successful heart transplantation done on a Jharkhand patient 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Paraguay president inaugurates Israel embassy in Jerusalem 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Trump demands Justice Department to probe if it or FBI spied on his election campaign 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Early access to OnePlus 6 via pop-up sale 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Full Magenta Line to open for public from May 29 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Billboard Music Awards: Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift win top honours 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Maduro wins as rivals call for new Venezuela elections 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Texas mourners endure grief that 'none of us can comprehend' 21 May 2018 | AP
- Lionel Messi wins 5th Golden Shoe 21 May 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...