India's app usage grew 6% in 2017
India's app usage grew six per cent in 2017 as users continued to spend more than five hours a day on their smartphones, but was still down against the 11 per cent witnessed in 2016, Yahoo's Flurry Analytics said on Thursday.
However, the shopping category grew by 54 per cent as consumers spent on e-commerce via mobile shopping apps.
"Users are increasingly comfortable making physical purchases on their phones with now ingrained in-app digital purchase habits. Additionally, digital wallet services such as Samsung Pay allow seamless access to stored payment information for mobile purchases," the report said.
"Music, media and entertainment came in a close second with 43 per cent year-over-year (YoY) growth, reaffirming users' shift to mobile devices to consume media."
Meanwhile, lifestyle category witnessed the steepest decline with -40 per cent usage in 2017.
The decrease, in this category for both Google Play Store and Apple App Store , highlights an app's need to build daily usage habits in order to retain or increase (YoY) growth.
Gaming also saw another year of decline in sessions with -15 per cent in 2017.
Last year was also a growth year for phablets as they represented a staggering 55 per cent of active devices.
"As medium phone users trade in their devices, it is clear that they're opting for phablets, as 9 per cent of the phablet growth came from medium phone adoption decline," the report added.
- I have been practising these shots, says Karthik 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Two injured in Texas city explosion 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Republicans warn Trump over Mueller's Russia inquiry 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Apple secretly developing its own screens: Report 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Ola, Uber strike hits Mumbai commuters 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Salman Khan gets in racer mode for 'Race 3' 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Deepika Padukone, Virat Kohli win Instagram Awards 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Madhuri's fluid grace missing in Jacqueline's 'Ek do teen' 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- 1 dead, 1 injured after shooting at Southern California mall 18 Mar 2018 | AP
- Telangana CM to meet Mamata Banerjee tomorrow 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Mar 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
Police investigation in the case of a security guard of district cooperative bank in Champawat shot dead two of his colleagues following an altercation on March 16 revealed that the guard Dinesh Bora contracted through a local security agency was not properly trained. Bora had reportedly shot dead the bank cashier Lalit Bisht and peon Rajesh Verma at the bank in Khetikhan...