India's app usage grew 6% in 2017
India's app usage grew six per cent in 2017 as users continued to spend more than five hours a day on their smartphones, but was still down against the 11 per cent witnessed in 2016, Yahoo's Flurry Analytics said on Thursday.
However, the shopping category grew by 54 per cent as consumers spent on e-commerce via mobile shopping apps.
"Users are increasingly comfortable making physical purchases on their phones with now ingrained in-app digital purchase habits. Additionally, digital wallet services such as Samsung Pay allow seamless access to stored payment information for mobile purchases," the report said.
"Music, media and entertainment came in a close second with 43 per cent year-over-year (YoY) growth, reaffirming users' shift to mobile devices to consume media."
Meanwhile, lifestyle category witnessed the steepest decline with -40 per cent usage in 2017.
The decrease, in this category for both Google Play Store and Apple App Store , highlights an app's need to build daily usage habits in order to retain or increase (YoY) growth.
Gaming also saw another year of decline in sessions with -15 per cent in 2017.
Last year was also a growth year for phablets as they represented a staggering 55 per cent of active devices.
"As medium phone users trade in their devices, it is clear that they're opting for phablets, as 9 per cent of the phablet growth came from medium phone adoption decline," the report added.
- Jio to cover 100% Bengal population by December 2018: Ambani 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Little Moshe arrives in Mumbai, says he's very happy 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Explain battery slow-down, Shanghai consumer council asks Apple 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Virat Kohli fined for breaching ICC code of conduct 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- 3 killed in bull-taming sports in Tamil Nadu 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Torture probe launched after 13 siblings held captive in US home 16 Jan 2018 | AFP
- The Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dead 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Sidharth Malhotra turns 33, celebs wish him best of everything 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Diesel prices at record Rs 61.74/L, petrol crosses Rs 71/L 15 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Shilpa Shinde wins the Bigg Boss Season 11 15 Jan 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jan 2018 | PRAGYA PALLAVI | Ranchi
Annual Status of Education Report (ASER-2017) released on Tuesday covering 28 districts of 24 States on ‘Beyond Basics’- A survey of rural India youths, presented a gloomy picture of Jharkhand on a few basic parameters in comparison with the districts of Bihar, Odisha, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh. The survey based on 4 As (Activity, Ability, Awareness, Aspirations) covering the age group 14-18 years, Jharkhand lags behind in enrollment status, digital use,...