India's app usage grew 6% in 2017
India's app usage grew six per cent in 2017 as users continued to spend more than five hours a day on their smartphones, but was still down against the 11 per cent witnessed in 2016, Yahoo's Flurry Analytics said on Thursday.
However, the shopping category grew by 54 per cent as consumers spent on e-commerce via mobile shopping apps.
"Users are increasingly comfortable making physical purchases on their phones with now ingrained in-app digital purchase habits. Additionally, digital wallet services such as Samsung Pay allow seamless access to stored payment information for mobile purchases," the report said.
"Music, media and entertainment came in a close second with 43 per cent year-over-year (YoY) growth, reaffirming users' shift to mobile devices to consume media."
Meanwhile, lifestyle category witnessed the steepest decline with -40 per cent usage in 2017.
The decrease, in this category for both Google Play Store and Apple App Store , highlights an app's need to build daily usage habits in order to retain or increase (YoY) growth.
Gaming also saw another year of decline in sessions with -15 per cent in 2017.
Last year was also a growth year for phablets as they represented a staggering 55 per cent of active devices.
"As medium phone users trade in their devices, it is clear that they're opting for phablets, as 9 per cent of the phablet growth came from medium phone adoption decline," the report added.
- SRCC releases second cut-off 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Fake news proving deadly in India: BBC 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Monsoon in Delhi from June 29: IMD 24 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Nirav Modi stayed in flat above jewellery store in London: Report 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Arrests announced as death toll rises in Ethiopia attack 24 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Turkey's Erdogan faces resurgent opposition in twin election test 24 Jun 2018 | AFP
- WhatsApp to offer 24-hr customer support for payments services in India 24 Jun 2018 | New Delhi
- Praggnanandhaa becomes world's second youngest Grand Master 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 'GoT' stars Kit Harington, Rose Leslie get married 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Tom Holland reveals 'Spiderman 2' title in social media gaffe 24 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS | Lucknow
Cabinet minister and Suheldeo Bhartiya Samaj Party chief Om Prakash Rajbhar along with his supporters constructed a road in his village near Varanasi on Saturday. The minister, a compulsive dissident in the Yogi government, resorted to the extreme step maintaining that despite repeated requests, the Public Works Department (PWD) refused to construct the road...