×
E-PAPER ▾

E-paper

Trending News

London fire service probed over Grenfell tragedy

| | London
London fire service probed over Grenfell tragedy

British police today said they were investigating London's fire service over their order for residents to "stay put" during the Grenfell Tower inferno that killed 71 people last year.

The policy was "part of our assessment of what happened and therefore falls within the investigation", Detective Superintendent Matt Bonner said Thursday, explaining that police would examine the evidence to see if health and safety laws were broken.

The London Fire Brigade has been criticised for taking two hours to order a full evacuation, but has defended its actions, saying there had been "no obvious and safe alternative strategy".

Police commander Stuart Cundy earlier said the force was "duty bound" to look into the fire service's actions.

Scotland Yard today also arrested eight men and one woman for fraudulent claims made in the wake of last year's fire.

"All of the offences police are investigating are linked to people who have fraudulently benefited through housing or allowances, by claiming to be victims of the fire," said police.

"The amounts involved range from 20,000 pounds to 100,000 pounds." The arrests were made during a series of dawn raids across London.

"It is completely unacceptable that people would seek to profit from such a human tragedy, and try and attach themselves to a community that they are not part of," said Detective Superintendent Matt Bonner.

Five people have already been convicted of fraudulent claims over the fire, which engulfed the 24-storey residential west London tower in the early hours of June 14.

Mohammad Gamoota, 31, was last week sentenced to 18 months behind bars, while serial fraudster Anh Nhu Nguyen, 53, was jailed for 21 months in February after pretending his family was killed in the block to claim relief funds.

Joyce Msokeri, 47, was jailed for four and a half years in April after claiming cash handouts and other donations by pretending to be a grief-stricken victim of the disaster.

Meanwhile, 51-year-old Elaine Douglas and Tommy Brooks, 52 pleaded guilty earlier this week to fraudulently claiming tens of thousands of pounds worth of hotel accommodation and financial support.

They will be sentenced on July 13.

 
 
 
 
 

TOP STORIES

Sunday Edition

View All

‚ÄėAssault‚Äô on police driver: Action against Kerala ADGP

17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi

In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...

Read More

STATE EDITIONS

View All

IN BRIEF

23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi

MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...

Read More

Page generated in 0.2581 seconds.