Milos Forman, 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' director, dies at 86
Milos Forman, the Oscar-winning director of the films "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "Amadeus", has died. He was 86.
The Czech-born director died in the US after a brief illness, his wife, Martina, told Czech news agency CTK, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Considered one of the pioneers of the Czechoslovak New Wave, Forman left his home country in 1968 after his films, particularly "The Fireman's Ball", got in trouble with the administration. He became a US citizen in 1977.
His first American film was "Taking Off" in 1971 and he followed it up with "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" in 1975, which became the second film to win five Oscars -- picture, director, actor, actress and adapted screenplay.
Starring Jack Nicholson, the film was an adaptation of Ken Kesey's 1962 novel of the same name.
Forman's "Amadeus", a fictionalised biography of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, also swept the Oscars, fetching him his second best director trophy apart from registering seven other wins at the 57th Academy Awards.
His other notable films include "Hair" (1979), "Ragtime" (1981) and "Valmont" (1989).
He received his last best director Oscar nod for the 1996 film,"The People Vs Larry Flynt".
- OnePlus 6 coming to India on May 17 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- New Google Search experience to connect SMEs with job seekers in India 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Champions League: Salah leads Liverpool win over Roma 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Salman Khan in Kashmir to shoot for 'Race 3', meets CM Mehbooba Mufti 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Two police officers, civilian shot in Dallas, suspect on the run 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Twitter is profitable again in 1st quarter, grows overseas 25 Apr 2018 | AP
- Scarlett Johansson, Colin Jost make loved-up red carpet debut 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
- With world's largest online recruitment drive, Railways set to 'save 10 lakh trees' 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Bharti Airtel's fourth quarter net profit drops 78% 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Tom Hardy impresses all with 'Venom' avatar 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | Ranchi
The Birsa Munda Bus Terminal at Khadgada from which numerous long route buses, including daily services to Delhi, Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata, operate will soon get shelter homes for the ease of passengers boarding and getting off in the wee hours. The Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) has elaborate plans to make the inter-state bus terminal even more passengers centric so that this state of the art bus terminal can operate on...