Naxal commander killed in encounter with security forces
A naxal commander was today gunned down in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh's insurgency-hit Bijapur district, police said.
The gun-battle took place early this morning in the jungles of Jaramongia jungles under Bhairamgarh police station limits when a joint team of District Reserve Guard (DRG) and local police was out on an anti-naxal operation, Bijapur Superintendent of Police Mohit Garg told PTI.
"When the patrolling team was cordoning off Jaramongia jungles, located around 500 kms away from the state capital, it came under heavy fire by a group of 25-30 ultras following which gun-battle broke out between the two sides," he said.
The exchange of fire lasted for about an hour, after which the ultras fled into the dense forest, he said.
"During search of the spot, the body of a Maoist clad in 'uniform' along with one 7.62 mm pistol and its 3 live rounds, explosives, detonators, tiffin bomb, naxal literature and Maoist related items were recovered from the spot," he said.
The deceased naxal was identified as Moti Farsa (28), who was active as Ider militia platoon commander of Maoists, Garg said.
Further details are awaited as security forces were still carrying out a search of the area, he added.
- Around 6000 railway station chiefs to get AC in cabins 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Neymar limps out of training, setting Brazilian alarm bells ringing 19 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Adobe announces new Office 365 integrations 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Global indexes drop as Trump threatens more China tariffs 19 Jun 2018 | AP
- Google to train 8,000 Indian journalists on fact-checking 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Google rolling out desktop browser support for Android Messages 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Samsung's new ultrasound device delivers 3D images of foetuses 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Rapper XXXTentacion shot dead at 20 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 'Chirp' app brings back Twitter functionalities to Apple Watch 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- 'Black Panther', 'Stranger Things' big winners at MTV Awards 2018 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...