Rains hit Lakshadweep islands, damage houses, uproot trees
Several houses suffered damage, coconut trees got uprooted and communication lines were disrupted as rains accompanied by strong winds lashed the Lakshadweep islands under the influence of Cyclone Ockhi.
Five fishing boats were damaged early today at Kalpeni island as water level rose due to heavy rains, sources said.
The 'very severe' cyclonic storm Ockhi - which in Bengali means 'eye' - over Lakshadweep is likely to intensify further in the next 24 hours.
It is likely to continue to move west-northwestwards across Lakshadweep islands during the next 24 hours and then recurve north eastwards during the subsequent 48 hours, according to the latest Met department bulletin.
Minicoy island received 14cm of rains in the last 24 hours ending at 0830 this morning, Met department sources said.
Coconut trees have been uprooted in various places and houses damaged in eastern Kalpeni and Minicoy, official sources said, adding the extent of the damage was being assessed.
The breakwater jetty, the embarkation and disembarkation point to Kalpeni island, has suffered severe damage.
Efforts were on to rescue fishermen who had ventured into the sea in 12 fishing boats from Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Gale winds with speed reaching 120-130kmph gusting to 145kmph is very likely over Lakshadweep in the next 24 hours and gradually decrease thereafter, the met bulletin said.
Giant waves were expected along the Kerala coast, official sources said.
Yesterday, 218 fishermen, stranded in mid-sea off the coast were brought safely to the shore through active coordination of various agencies including the Navy, the Air Force and the Coast Guard.
The rescued fishermen included 60 who were saved by a Japanese cargo vessel.
- Actress Patricia Morison dead 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Successful heart transplantation done on a Jharkhand patient 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Paraguay president inaugurates Israel embassy in Jerusalem 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Trump demands Justice Department to probe if it or FBI spied on his election campaign 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Early access to OnePlus 6 via pop-up sale 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Full Magenta Line to open for public from May 29 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Billboard Music Awards: Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift win top honours 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Maduro wins as rivals call for new Venezuela elections 21 May 2018 | AFP
- Texas mourners endure grief that 'none of us can comprehend' 21 May 2018 | AP
- Lionel Messi wins 5th Golden Shoe 21 May 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...