- P V Sindhu enters semifinals of All England Championship.
- Centre tells SC it will not damage Ram Sethu for shipping channel project
- Andhra CM targets PMO, alleges conspiracy
- 'TDP's exit signals opportunity for BJP to grow in Andhra'
- Bhagwant Mann resigns as AAP Punjab chief
- TDP quits NDA; to move no-confidence motion
Russian hackers targeting US Senate email accounts: Report
A hacking group allegedly associated with the Russian government is actively targeting the US Senate's internal email system since June 2017, a cyber security firm claimed on Saturday.
According to Japanese cybersecurity firm Trend Micro, this is the same group that hacked into the Democratic National Committee (DNC) in 2016.
The hackers' activities began in June 2017 when they attempted to compromise a lawmaker's credentials through a phishing site designed to look like the Senate's internal email system.
"Beginning in June 2017, phishing sites were set up mimicking the ADFS (Active Directory Federation Services) of the US Senate. By looking at the digital fingerprints of these phishing sites and comparing them with a large data set that spans almost five years, we can uniquely relate them to a couple of 'Pawn Storm' incidents in 2016 and 2017," the security company said in a blog post.
"The real ADFS server of the U.S. Senate is not reachable on the open internet, however phishing of users' credentials on an ADFS server that is behind a firewall still makes sense. In case an actor already has a foothold in an organization after compromising one user account, credential phishing could help him get closer to high profile users of interest," it added.
Trend Micro's report focuses on the efforts of a hacking group called "Pawn Storm" -- "an extremely active espionage actor group" more commonly known as "Fancy Bear".
Cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike has deemed the group a "Russian-based threat actor" with likely ties to Russian military intelligence, Tech Crunch reported.
Earlier this week, BuzzFeed News said that "Fancy Bear" released a set of emails between International Olympic Committee (IOC) employees and third parties discussing the Russian doping conspiracy.
The leaks were apparently done in a retaliation for the decision taken in December 2017, to bar Russia from participating in the Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea by the IOC.
According to cybersecurity firm ThreatConnect, a group with the same name "Fancy Bear" had used the same website and the same format to publish documents in 2016 that had been hacked from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) in response to that agency's finding that hundreds of Russian athletes had taken banned substances.
Last year, Trend Micro reported that "Fancy Bear" group was behind the "massive and coordinated" attack on the campaign of French President-elect Emmanuel Macron.
It is the same group that is blamed for attacking the Democratic party shortly before the US election.
A Russian hacker claimed in December that he can prove he hacked the DNC networks on the orders of Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB).
- Trump fires FBI official for making unauthorised disclosures to media 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- FIFA approves video assistant referees for 2018 World Cup 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Hacker who gave up Wikileaks source dead 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Spy poisoning: Putin most likely behind attack, says Britain 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Facebook suspends Trump-linked data analysis firm 17 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Shakib and Nurul fined by ICC for separate incidents 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Donald Trump Jr's wife files for divorce 16 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Trump ready to fire NSA McMaster: Report 16 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Ava DuVernay to helm DC's 'New Gods' 16 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Nike cites 'conduct' violations, top executive out 16 Mar 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
Kerala’s Catholic Church has declared war on the CPI(M)-led LDF Government over its new liquor policy by which liquor outlets including bars could be opened in almost all panchayats in the State. The new policy also paves way for the reopening of almost all the bars that were closed down in 2014 as part of the then Government’s policy envisaging implementation of Prohibition in ten years’ time through phases...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS | Chandigarh
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on Saturday said that the previous governments indulged in the business of illegally acquiring lands with ulterior motives and with the intent of having their own cut. “This was done not only in Rohtak but in the entire state...