- Not undergone any makeover, BJP distorted my image: Rahul Gandhi
- Leaders pay homage to Parliament attack victims; Manmohan greets Modi
- Ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda convicted in coal scam case
- Govt shelves Dec 31 deadline on Aadhaar, PAN in financial dealings
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr from Centre for Ockhi damage
- SC stalls Centre's takeover of Unitech
'Supermoon' to brighten up skies on Sunday
Stargazers are in for a treat on Sunday as they could catch a glimpse of the so-called "supermoon" when the Moon appears bigger and brighter in the sky as it moves closer to Earth.
It will appear about 7 per cent larger and 15 per cent brighter, although the difference is barely noticeable to the human eye, the BBC reported.
December's full moon is traditionally known as the "cold moon".
The full moon on Sunday night marks the first and only supermoon of 2017.
According to NASA, a supermoon is a Moon that is full when it is also at or near its closest point in its orbit around Earth.
Since the Moon's orbit is elliptical, one side (apogee) is about 50,000 km farther from Earth than the other (perigee).
But within this orbit, further variations can be caused by the Earth's movements around the Sun.
These mean that the perigee - the closest approach - and full moon are not always in sync.
But the occasions when the perigee and full moon coincide have become known as supermoons.
NASA has said that Sunday's supermoon is first in a series of three supermoons. The next two will appear on January 1 and 31, 2018.
In 2016, the Moon made its closest approach to Earth since 1948. It won't be that close again until November 25, 2034.
- Facebook to now start paying tax locally 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Now you can follow hashtags on Instagram 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Republican accused of molesting teens loses Senate race in setback to Trump 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- 'Baahubali 2' top trending search query on Google in 2017 13 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Apple acquires music recognition app Shazam 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Celebs wish Virushka 'happily ever after' 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Rajinikanth turns 67, celebs wish him long life 12 Dec 2017 | IANS
- Priyanka Chopra receives Mother Teresa Memorial award 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Violence is not the way: Aamir on 'Padmavati' 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Trump tells NASA to return American astronauts to Moon 12 Dec 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...