- S Africa widens hunt for Zuma allies to India, China
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights
- Mentally challenged person shot dead near J&K Air Force station
- FIR against Rotomac promoter for Rs 800 cr bank fraud: CBI
- PNB fraud fallout: CBI seals Brady House Branch in Mumbai
'Supermoon' to brighten up skies on Sunday
Stargazers are in for a treat on Sunday as they could catch a glimpse of the so-called "supermoon" when the Moon appears bigger and brighter in the sky as it moves closer to Earth.
It will appear about 7 per cent larger and 15 per cent brighter, although the difference is barely noticeable to the human eye, the BBC reported.
December's full moon is traditionally known as the "cold moon".
The full moon on Sunday night marks the first and only supermoon of 2017.
According to NASA, a supermoon is a Moon that is full when it is also at or near its closest point in its orbit around Earth.
Since the Moon's orbit is elliptical, one side (apogee) is about 50,000 km farther from Earth than the other (perigee).
But within this orbit, further variations can be caused by the Earth's movements around the Sun.
These mean that the perigee - the closest approach - and full moon are not always in sync.
But the occasions when the perigee and full moon coincide have become known as supermoons.
NASA has said that Sunday's supermoon is first in a series of three supermoons. The next two will appear on January 1 and 31, 2018.
In 2016, the Moon made its closest approach to Earth since 1948. It won't be that close again until November 25, 2034.
- Imran Khan ties knot for third time, confirms party 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- 4 killed in Russia shooting 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Female protesters crash BAFTA 2018 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Canadian PM visits Mathura wildlife sanctuary 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Aniston and Theroux met 'one last time' on Valentine's Day 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- PM Modi launches Nasscom's 'FutureSkills' platform 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Federer claims top spot, becomes oldest ever ATP World No. 1 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Trump slams Oprah, challenges her for 2020 run 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- `Hurting sentiments': police notice to Oru Adaar Love director 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Iran replaces paper visas with electronic ones at airport 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Feb 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | Bokaro
A police team of Bokaro Thermal police station headed by inspector cum officer-in charge Parmeshwar Leyangi on Sunday morning conducted raids at Ganjutola in Armo forest area here and seized approx 2.5 tonnes of illegal coal along with their 4 motorcycles and 5 cycles,said Bokaro SP Kartik S...