Trump 'destroys trust' with G7 tweets: Germany
US President Donald Trump partly "destroyed" Washington's trusting relationship with Europe by pulling out of a joint communique after the G7 summit, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas tweeted today.
"You can destroy an incredible amount of trust very quickly in a tweet. That makes it all the more important that Europe stands together and defends its interests even more offensively," Maas posted.
"Europe United is the answer to America First." Trump rejected the text of a consensus statement, traditionally a paean to shared Western values and objectives under American leadership, in angry tweets from Air Force One.
He departed early from the Quebec gathering yesterday for a one-on-one meeting with North Korea's Kim Jong Un in Singapore.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had told reporters that "Canadians are polite and reasonable but we will also not be pushed around" over Trump's decision to invoke national security to justify US tariffs on steel and aluminium imports.
"Based on Justin's false statements at his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our US farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our US Reps not to endorse the Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles flooding the US Market!" Trump tweeted in response.
The US leader's abrupt withdrawal drew widespread condemnation today from across the German political spectrum.
"How can one hold at all worthwhile negotiations with a White House that doesn't understand the basics of the global economic order and lives in a twisted, ramshackle fantasy world?" asked a commentator in major conservative newspaper Die Welt.
- Around 6000 railway station chiefs to get AC in cabins 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Neymar limps out of training, setting Brazilian alarm bells ringing 19 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Adobe announces new Office 365 integrations 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Global indexes drop as Trump threatens more China tariffs 19 Jun 2018 | AP
- Google to train 8,000 Indian journalists on fact-checking 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Google rolling out desktop browser support for Android Messages 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Samsung's new ultrasound device delivers 3D images of foetuses 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Rapper XXXTentacion shot dead at 20 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 'Chirp' app brings back Twitter functionalities to Apple Watch 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- 'Black Panther', 'Stranger Things' big winners at MTV Awards 2018 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...