Trump orders review of postal service after blasting Amazon
US President Donald Trump, who earlier criticised online retail giant Amazon and accused it of cheating the US Postal Service by taking advantage of bulk delivery rates, has issued an executive order demanding a sweeping overhaul of the Postal Services business model.
Trump issued the order on Thursday forming an administration task force, to be chaired by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, and directed it to evaluate the Postal Service's finances and operations, the Washington Post reported.
The order also directed the task force to issue a report outlining proposed changes within 120 days.
The order stated that the Postal Service incurred $65 billion of cumulative losses since the Great Recession ended in 2009 and that it must make changes so that it operates under "a sustainable business model".
The President did not mention Amazon in the order but he has often railed against Amazon - in public and in private conversations with his advisers and friends -- complaining about Jeffrey P. Bezos, the company's billionaire founder and chief executive, the daily said.
Trump's advisers said his outbursts about Amazon often were triggered by what he perceives as negative coverage of him by The Washington Post, owned by Bezos.
In December, Trump criticised the service on Twitter for being "dumber and poorer" by losing billions of dollars and not "charging MUCH MORE" to Amazon and other shippers. His Twitter attacks date back as far as 2013, when he scoffed at the service for planning to eliminate Saturday mail delivery.
According to the New York Times, Postal Service experts and even Trump's own advisers privately urged him to back off the accusations, noting that the huge number of packages shipped by Amazon was actually helping to keep the Postal Service financially solvent.
- OnePlus 6 coming to India on May 17 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- New Google Search experience to connect SMEs with job seekers in India 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Champions League: Salah leads Liverpool win over Roma 25 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Salman Khan in Kashmir to shoot for 'Race 3', meets CM Mehbooba Mufti 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Two police officers, civilian shot in Dallas, suspect on the run 25 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Twitter is profitable again in 1st quarter, grows overseas 25 Apr 2018 | AP
- Scarlett Johansson, Colin Jost make loved-up red carpet debut 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
- With world's largest online recruitment drive, Railways set to 'save 10 lakh trees' 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Bharti Airtel's fourth quarter net profit drops 78% 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Tom Hardy impresses all with 'Venom' avatar 24 Apr 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Apr 2018 | PNS | CUTTACK
Basing on the allegations of acquisition of assets disproportionate to the known sources of income by Banking Assistant, Mayurbhanj Central Cooperative Bank Limited, Karanjia Sirish Chandra Mohanta, a Vigilance team raid several locations and traced his assets of Rs 1,10, 25,946. His residential house located at Dhatikabeda, Karanjia, house given on rent at Prasanti Vihar, Bhubaneswar, house given on rent located at Karanjia, and office room were simultaneously searched with search...