Trump prefers government shutdown in absence of DACA wall deal
US President Donald Trump today preferred a government shut down in the absence of an immigration deal with the opposition Democrats, which essentially has boiled down to a USD 25 billion Congressional approval for a path to citizenship to 1.8 million "Dreamers".
The Democrats oppose the funding for Trump's highly touted wall along the US border with Mexico. Trump has been saying that there can be no deal on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) without the wall.
DACA is an Obama-era policy protecting about 8,00,000 people, who were brought to the US illegally as children or came with their parents, from being deported. It, however, does not provide a path to citizenship. These illegal immigrants are often referred to as "Dreamers".
"I'd love to see a shut down if we can't get this stuff taken care of. If we have to shut it down because the Democrats don't want safety...Let's shut it down," Trump told reporters at a White House event with reporters.
In the absence of an agreement, the Democrats have threatened to vote against a short-term extension of federal spending.
Although the ruling Republican party has a majority in the House and the Senate, it cannot get the short-term spending bill through the Senate as it falls nine votes short of the 60 of the 100 required for procedural votes leading to the actual vote.
- Hot day in Delhi, strong winds likely tomorrow 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Delhi Daredevils knock Mumbai Indians out of IPL with 11-run win 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Japanese director Kore-eda wins Palme d'Or for 'Shoplifters' at Cannes Film Festival 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Ronaldo and Bale score in Real draw as Zinedine son makes debut 20 May 2018 | AFP
- Cuba plane crash: Black box recovered in 'good condition' 20 May 2018 | IANS
- 1.9 bn people watched royal wedding: report 20 May 2018 | PTI
- IMD warns of thunderstorm tonight 19 May 2018 | PTI
- Wife of Malaysia's ex-leader slams 'public trial' of family 19 May 2018 | AP
- Trump nominates Pacific commander as America's new envoy to S Korea 19 May 2018 | PTI
- Priyanka Chopra sports chic dress suit at royal wedding 19 May 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...