- Bollywood legend Sridevi passes away at the age of 54
- India beat South Africa by 7 runs to clinch series 2-1
- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
Trump prefers government shutdown in absence of DACA wall deal
US President Donald Trump today preferred a government shut down in the absence of an immigration deal with the opposition Democrats, which essentially has boiled down to a USD 25 billion Congressional approval for a path to citizenship to 1.8 million "Dreamers".
The Democrats oppose the funding for Trump's highly touted wall along the US border with Mexico. Trump has been saying that there can be no deal on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) without the wall.
DACA is an Obama-era policy protecting about 8,00,000 people, who were brought to the US illegally as children or came with their parents, from being deported. It, however, does not provide a path to citizenship. These illegal immigrants are often referred to as "Dreamers".
"I'd love to see a shut down if we can't get this stuff taken care of. If we have to shut it down because the Democrats don't want safety...Let's shut it down," Trump told reporters at a White House event with reporters.
In the absence of an agreement, the Democrats have threatened to vote against a short-term extension of federal spending.
Although the ruling Republican party has a majority in the House and the Senate, it cannot get the short-term spending bill through the Senate as it falls nine votes short of the 60 of the 100 required for procedural votes leading to the actual vote.
- Steve Smith to lead Rajasthan Royals in 2018 IPL 25 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Kovind, Modi mourn Sridevi's death 25 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Rahul flags off Vrukshathon in Vijayapura 25 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Kylie cosmetics' new line inspired by daughter 25 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Dating app Tinder facilitates infidelity: study 25 Feb 2018 | PTI
- UN backs Syria ceasefire as death toll in rebel enclave tops 500 25 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Mexican leader's visit with Trump shelved over wall: media 25 Feb 2018 | AFP
- Police caution people against tricky online deals in Mewat region 25 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Modi stresses on public safety in 'Mann Ki Baat' 25 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Vehicle crashes into barrier near White House 24 Feb 2018 | AFP
Sunday EditionView All
25 Feb 2018 | M Venkaiah Naidu
Today, we are conferring International Gandhi Award-2017 on two outstanding personalities, Dr MD Gupte and Dr Atul Shah, for their selfless and humanitarian services in the cause of elimination of leprosy and in alleviating the suffering of leprosy-affected patients. Leprosy has been prevalent in our country since a very long time...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Feb 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Jharkhand would be probably first state of the country where the fleet of common service centres (CSCs) or Pragya Kendra spread all across, especially in smaller towns and villages, would double as telemedicine centres. Department of IT and e-Governance has prepared itself to launch the medical service through CSCs under which any family can get consultation with doctors as many as eight times in a month, get prescribed medicines over there...