Twitter to revive accounts suspended by age restriction
Twitter has announced to reinstate those accounts that were locked down owing to age restriction after the new European Union (EU) privacy law came into force on May 25.
In a series of tweets, the micro-blogging platform said on Wednesday that it did not expect the lockdown to happen as some users who opened their accounts when they were 13 are now old enough to use the platform.
Accounts created by those under 13, were frozen owing to the General Data Protection Law (GDPR) which stipulates that the age of consent for using online services should not be lower than 13.
"We recently made product changes tied to new privacy laws (GDPR) and became aware of accounts that were set up by people when they were younger than 13. We didn't expect this," Twitter Support said in a tweet.
"These accounts were automatically locked, and we created additional confusion by sending messages to people saying that they're still under 13 (when many are now older) and need to close their accounts," it added.
Twitter said its rules don't allow anyone under 13 to tweet or create a Twitter account so it is working on a technical solution to delete those Tweets and allow the impacted account holders to continue on Twitter.
"In the meantime, we're reaching out to people impacted with options to unlock their account and continue to use Twitter. Instructions from us will come during the coming week," the micro-blogging platform said, apologising for the confusion and the inconvenience caused to those who were affected.
- Around 6000 railway station chiefs to get AC in cabins 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Neymar limps out of training, setting Brazilian alarm bells ringing 19 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Adobe announces new Office 365 integrations 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Global indexes drop as Trump threatens more China tariffs 19 Jun 2018 | AP
- Google to train 8,000 Indian journalists on fact-checking 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Google rolling out desktop browser support for Android Messages 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Samsung's new ultrasound device delivers 3D images of foetuses 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Rapper XXXTentacion shot dead at 20 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 'Chirp' app brings back Twitter functionalities to Apple Watch 19 Jun 2018 | IANS
- 'Black Panther', 'Stranger Things' big winners at MTV Awards 2018 19 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A 35-year-old woman’s body was recovered from an autorickshaw at Rethghat under Talaiya police station area late in the night on Monday. Sensation prevailed in Retghat area on Monday night after body of a woman was recovered the auto rickshaw and after spotting the woman police were informed...