You can't send money yet via WhatsApp in India
Contrary to media reports claiming that now you can transfer money via WhatsApp in India, the digital payment feature in the platform is still in the testing phase and will be officially rolled out to over 200 million Indian users in the days to come.
The feature is currently in beta but has not been publicly announced because it is not widely available at this moment.
Some users have received the beta update but "it will be wrong to assume that the feature is currently live in India for all users," informed sources told IANS.
"There will be an official announcement when the feature finally goes live in India," they added.
When launched, the new payments feature is set to give a tough competition to Paytm and other digital payment services like Google Tez.
The payments feature would take advantage of UPI (Unified Payments Interface) and include support by a number of banks, including the State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, and Axis Bank.
Beta testers found their WhatsApp interface displaying a large list of supported banks and they can see a payments feature appear in their WhatsApp Settings menu.
In order to configure the feature, users must first verify their phone number via SMS and then choose a bank.
After the completion of the configuration, the option to send a payment becomes available.
The terms and conditions said that WhatsApp is not a licensed financial institution, do not receive, transfer, or store any funds in connection with Payments, and are not responsible for UPI service interruptions or acts or omissions of PSPs or your bank including the payment, settlement, and clearance of funds.
"You have a separate relationship with your bank regarding your bank account, and WhatsApp has no affiliation with your bank in this respect," it added.
- Hot day in Delhi, strong winds likely tomorrow 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Delhi Daredevils knock Mumbai Indians out of IPL with 11-run win 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Japanese director Kore-eda wins Palme d'Or for 'Shoplifters' at Cannes Film Festival 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Ronaldo and Bale score in Real draw as Zinedine son makes debut 20 May 2018 | AFP
- Cuba plane crash: Black box recovered in 'good condition' 20 May 2018 | IANS
- 1.9 bn people watched royal wedding: report 20 May 2018 | PTI
- IMD warns of thunderstorm tonight 19 May 2018 | PTI
- Wife of Malaysia's ex-leader slams 'public trial' of family 19 May 2018 | AP
- Trump nominates Pacific commander as America's new envoy to S Korea 19 May 2018 | PTI
- Priyanka Chopra sports chic dress suit at royal wedding 19 May 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...