- Always wanted to join the Army: Gen Bipin Rawat
- Russian interference had no impact on US presidential polls: Trump
- PM Modi holds 'substantiative' talks with Iran Prez
- Arvinder Singh Lovely rejoins Congress
- CBI arrests 2 PNB officials, authorised signatory of Nirav Modi company
- Cheating case: Developer DS Kulkarni detained in Delhi
- Sex ratio at birth dips in 17 of 21 large states, Guj records 53 points fall
- I don't feel like competing with anyone: Kohli
- Poll candidates must disclose source of income: SC
- CBI approaches Interpol to locate Nirav Modi
- SC reduces TN's Cauvery water share
Emphasise the need to create an enabling environment by planting more trees, the Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr Harsh Vardhan, yesterday, inaugurated a two-day conference on Sustainable landscapes and forest ecosystems: Theory to Practice. He stressed on the need to provide new and innovative ways to bring more areas under forest and tree cover. He also launched the Wood is Good campaign, stressing the importance of wood as an environment friendly and a renewable resource having zero carbon footprint.
The programme brought together experts from India and US to develop technologies, tools and methods of forest management. The objectives of the conference were – exploring issues and opportunities for ecosystem approach for land management in India, how the approaches and tools developed under the Forest-PLUS programme could be used to improve forest management and to document along with disseminating the various information.
Reiterating the Government’s commitment to increase India’s forest cover from 24 to 33 per cent and creating an additional carbon sink of 2.5 to 3 billion tons of carbon dioxide equivalent in forests. Vardhan said that the target can be achieved through a number of planned afforestation drives and initiatives. He also said that there should be a balance between environmental and developmental concerns, while urging the scientists and foresters gathered to devise a solution for the problem of weeds.
The partnership for Land Use Science (Forest-Plus) is a joint programme by the United States agency for International Development (USAID) and Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF and CC) to strengthen the capacity for REDD (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation) implementation in India.
- Fluttering high 17 Feb 2018 | Pioneer
- Netaji‚Äôs posthumous woes 17 Feb 2018 | Saatvik Jha
- Relationships in the digital era 17 Feb 2018 | Upasana Singh
- A COMPLETE TRANSFORMATION 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Words in rhythm 17 Feb 2018 | Kritika Dua
- Mindful meals 16 Feb 2018 | Pioneer
- Manipuri for every palate 16 Feb 2018 | Pioneer
- Pretty Pussycat 16 Feb 2018 | Kushan Mitra
- Trend Blazer 16 Feb 2018 | Pioneer
- Power woman 16 Feb 2018 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | IANS | Jaipur
At least nine persons were killed and 18 others injured when two LPG cylinders exploded at a wedding in Beawar in Rajasthan's Ajmer district, police said on Saturday. According to police, six persons were referred to a hospital in Ajmer while 12 were referred to the district hospital in Beawar...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Madhya Pradesh Government has worked with dedication in education, health, food, agriculture, irrigation and tribal welfare, said Public Relations Minister Narottam Mishra while addressing public meeting during campaigning for Kolaras by-election. Minister Mishra addressed meetings at Khatorda, Barod, Hairpur, Emloda and Toria regions...